PDA

View Full Version : Do you want the iMac remade to look like the old iMac G4?

Aug 16, 2008, 02:45 PM
Voice your opinions. Personally, I like the current aluminum design. However, I know a lot of people would love if the iMac G4 was remade with current innards. Another reason I don't think it would work; current screens are too big for the G4 design; either the weight would topple them over or they would just look plain silly.

EDIT: I accidentally submitted this too early; how do I go back and add a poll to it?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it. Stand by for poll.

OutThere
Aug 16, 2008, 02:47 PM
The arm was awesome but I think we've moved beyond that stage. It would look goofy I think with a huge screen. There are plenty of vesa mount options for people who still need the flexible stand.

Insulin Junkie
Aug 16, 2008, 02:51 PM
I love the G4 design, but I agree... the screen's gotten a bit too big for the contraption =P
I'd gladly take a G4 with maxed out innards though.

Mac-Addict
Aug 16, 2008, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't say exactly the same but something of similar design would be nice.

ucfgrad93
Aug 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
I really like the current aluminum design. I wouldn't mind going back to the white, but not the lamp design.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 16, 2008, 03:03 PM
I think that the G4 design may have been the best, although now it's a little too dated. I wouldn't want it to go back to the old G4 design, because I actually like the current iMac design the most.

However, here is my reasoning for thinking the G4 was the best design: The original iMac design was amazing, it was striking, smooth, ground breaking and it basically redefined the home computer. The G4 design, the successor to the original iMac again made huge improvements to the machine that wowed me. I immediately liked the new design more than the old, it was quite a break through. However when the iMac G5 came and the whole computer was in the display (that was the G5, right?) I liked it, but didn't like it as much as the old design, the G4. Eventually the G4 began to seem dated and I liked the new White, flat, all in one iMac. It had grown on me. Then the new intel iMac (the current design) came and I didn't like it as much as the old, flat white one. However, eventually the white one seemed dated and now I like the new design the most.
So right now the current design is my favorite, however the G4 design is the only iMac refresh that I liked imediately.

Digital Skunk
Aug 16, 2008, 03:13 PM
The arm was the way to go back in the day, and was the most innovative design of it's time, and still awes many newcomers to the Apple clan.

But, I wouldn't trade the simpler current design that we have now. Keep the chin too. There really is nothing wrong with the machine's design or technology. This statement from a pseudo gear head. :D

Soxy
Aug 16, 2008, 03:18 PM
Not too bothered about the arm, but I always loved the white plastic way more than the aluminium, not that it doesn't look sexy, just preference I guess XD

Time Clock
Aug 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
I like the G4 design the most. I always wished that I had been able to get that one when they were out. Now they're overpriced on the aftermarket.

The reason that I would want a return to something similar is that the iMac's design won't fit on my desk. I have a 24" space on my desk that I would put a display on. Even if I bought a 20" iMac, there would not be enough space to insert a CD for example. I need something top or front loading.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 16, 2008, 03:25 PM
I like the G4 design the most. I always wished that I had been able to get that one when they were out. Now they're overpriced on the aftermarket.

The reason that I would want a return to something similar is that the iMac's design won't fit on my desk. I have a 24" space on my desk that I would put a display on. Even if I bought a 20" iMac, there would not be enough space to insert a CD for example. I need something top or front loading.

It'd be smarter to get a new desk. Why would you get a computer to compensate for your desk? A computer is much more important than a desk.

Trajectory
Aug 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
I like the recent white iMacs the best. I was in the market for a new Mac not long ago and wasn't blown away by the brushed metal cases of the new iMacs. I found an Apple dealer who had a like-new 24" white iMac for a good price and ended up buying that instead of the newest ones. Plus, my white iPhone looks adorable next to it. :)

I also think the LCD panel in the white iMac looks better than the ones being used in the brushed metal iMacs. Not sure if they really are different, but, all of the new brushed metal iMacs I saw in the store had pronounced fading problems on the LCD display from top to bottom or left to right.

JoeDRC
Aug 16, 2008, 03:41 PM
The G4 is a lovely design and certainly a favourite of mine but, screens have gotten too big and it really doesn't cut a slim a profile as the current alu imac

SnowLeopard2008
Aug 16, 2008, 03:51 PM
I like the old G4s, as my desktop publishing class back in the 8th grade had one... but as many people already said, the screen is too big. although if they made a mini computer, with that design, that would be a seller, b/c of the cute shape.

The ratio of the screen size to the base is simply too ... unproportioned. jonathan ive didnt make a mistake when re-designing the imac.

m1stake
Aug 16, 2008, 04:34 PM
It had a round board inside, which was nuts :p

I'd be happier with the current one + VESA mount.

Time Clock
Aug 16, 2008, 04:37 PM
It'd be smarter to get a new desk. Why would you get a computer to compensate for your desk? A computer is much more important than a desk.

My mom plans on converting my room into a guest room once I eventually move out within the next couple of years, so it wouldn't be practical to get a new desk.

Phil A.
Aug 16, 2008, 04:50 PM
I loved the G4 when it came out, but I personally think the Alu iMac is the best looking computer I've ever seen! With the 24" screen, the chin doesn't really exist any more and the aluminium and glass combination are simply gorgeous

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
I loved the G4 when it came out, but I personally think the Alu iMac is the best looking computer I've ever seen! With the 24" screen, the chin doesn't really exist any more and the aluminium and glass combination are simply gorgeous

I for one don't mind the chin. Although I'm sure Apple will get rid of it as soon as SSD becomes the standard, it'll probably be an inch thick too!

ohhh or maybe they'll take a tip from the Macbook Air and make it less than an inch thick in some places. It could easily be a wafer thin desktop computer.

Aug 16, 2008, 05:23 PM
I for one don't mind the chin. Although I'm sure Apple will get rid of it as soon as SSD becomes the standard, it'll probably be an inch thick too!

ohhh or maybe they'll take a tip from the Macbook Air and make it less than an inch thick in some places. It could easily be a wafer thin desktop computer.

Ugh, if the next iMac design had edges that tapered in an effort to make it look thinner, I would hate it so much. I don't think that would be a good look for the iMac. A desktop should have some sustenance to it, in my book.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 16, 2008, 07:04 PM
Ugh, if the next iMac design had edges that tapered in an effort to make it look thinner, I would hate it so much. I don't think that would be a good look for the iMac. A desktop should have some sustenance to it, in my book.

Obviously you haven't looked at the current iMac then :rolleyes:

Trajectory
Aug 16, 2008, 07:40 PM
A desktop should have some sustenance to it, in my book.

I believe you mean "substance," but, even so, why? Do you like big clunky desktop computers?

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 16, 2008, 07:42 PM
I believe you mean "substance," but, even so, why? Do you like big clunky desktop computers?

He's just trying to rattle my cage. This isn't the first time I've said something about a product's design that he's shot down.

nixfu
Aug 16, 2008, 08:53 PM
I am a switcher since day 1 of the Intel era...but I gotta say the G4 iMac is super super sexy to me.

I would have to say that the G4 iMac is proably the computer that got my attention in the first place, and made me be aware of and be thinking of switching when the intel annoucement finnaly happened.

The one thing I like about the G4, is the very SMALL BEZEL around the monitor.

The current iMac bezel kinda bothers me. I would be happier with the product if they could get the stuff to be more behind the LCD screen and not have much of a bezel more than just the screen size itself.

bc008
Aug 16, 2008, 09:55 PM
I would be happier with the product if they could get the stuff to be more behind the LCD screen and not have much of a bezel more than just the screen size itself.

i completely agree. i would go for a thicker iMac if it didnt have that chin

(i voted no)

Metuas
Aug 16, 2008, 10:05 PM
If they could fit the iMac behind a Cinema display, without making it too much thicker, that would be amazing. I would have to start saving again :D

Aug 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
Obviously you haven't looked at the current iMac then :rolleyes:

No, I mean if it was something as thing as the Cinema Displays, or even thinner. That's too thin.

Ah right, sustenance is a meal, right? My bad. No, like I said, I want something that looks like it won't blow over in the wind.

He's just trying to rattle my cage. This isn't the first time I've said something about a product's design that he's shot down.

No, I'm not trying to rattle your cage, I just don't think a super-thin desktop is the way to go. If you don't mind me asking, what other product designs of yours have I shot down? EDIT: don't bring up the example about the third gen iPod vs. the current gen iPod, I just saw that. I'm curious if there's another time I've done it. Remember, it's just an opinion; everyone is entitled to one.

Phil A.
Aug 17, 2008, 05:49 AM
The one thing I like about the G4, is the very SMALL BEZEL around the monitor.

IIRC, the bezel around the monitor on the G4s was pretty big (particularly if you include the transparent bit) - have a look at this picture (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/IMac_G4_sunflower8.png)

Apple Ink
Aug 17, 2008, 06:04 AM
Er..... NO!

I love how the design has evolved and definitely dont need a big round lamp squatting on my desk!

I say so because the current innards will have a hard time fitting in! Also, considering that Apple's now aiming it at corporates as well..... the design would be ABSURD!

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 17, 2008, 11:17 AM
No, I mean if it was something as thing as the Cinema Displays, or even thinner. That's too thin.

Ah right, sustenance is a meal, right? My bad. No, like I said, I want something that looks like it won't blow over in the wind.

No, I'm not trying to rattle your cage, I just don't think a super-thin desktop is the way to go. If you don't mind me asking, what other product designs of yours have I shot down? EDIT: don't bring up the example about the third gen iPod vs. the current gen iPod, I just saw that. I'm curious if there's another time I've done it. Remember, it's just an opinion; everyone is entitled to one.

Sure it is just an opinion, but you don't have to be so rude about it. You should really read your posts before you submit, you come off pretty harsh. Remember there is something called 'netiquette and it's something you really lack.

Aug 17, 2008, 11:50 AM
Sure it is just an opinion, but you don't have to be so rude about it. You should really read your posts before you submit, you come off pretty harsh. Remember there is something called 'netiquette and it's something you really lack.

I don't lack netiquette, text alone lacks emotion, which leads to confusion. I do read my posts before hand and unfortunately, they sound like they were written with the intent to be a jerk, which almost none of them are. Unfortunately, I don't want to have to keep saying I'm not being a jerk in my posts, because that looks silly. Remember, if I want to be a jerk to you, I'll make sure there's no confusion as to what my words mean. If I sound kind of jerkish, I'm probably not being a jerk.

bootedbear
Aug 17, 2008, 12:11 PM
The iMac G4 was a beautiful, classic design. But I don't think it'd be practical for today's systems.

JoeDRC
Aug 17, 2008, 12:11 PM
IIRC, the bezel around the monitor on the G4s was pretty big (particularly if you include the transparent bit) - have a look at this picture (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/IMac_G4_sunflower8.png)

see i quite like the transparent bit, looks sexy :D

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 17, 2008, 12:16 PM
I don't lack netiquette, text alone lacks emotion, which leads to confusion. I do read my posts before hand and unfortunately, they sound like they were written with the intent to be a jerk, which almost none of them are. Unfortunately, I don't want to have to keep saying I'm not being a jerk in my posts, because that looks silly. Remember, if I want to be a jerk to you, I'll make sure there's no confusion as to what my words mean. If I sound kind of jerkish, I'm probably not being a jerk.

the problem with this is it's very, very easy to convey emotion through text. That's why the book is usually better than the film. And proper netiquette dictates that you at least try and sound kind in your posts, if you don't know how to not sound like a jerk then you should change the voice you use in your post.

Aug 17, 2008, 12:26 PM
the problem with this is it's very, very easy to convey emotion through text. That's why the book is usually better than the film. And proper netiquette dictates that you at least try and sound kind in your posts, if you don't know how to not sound like a jerk then you should change the voice you use in your post.

No, the book is better than the film because stories are written in narrative. I think I would develop quite a strange reputation if I wrote all of my posts like a narrative story in the first person.

But yes, I try to be nice, sometimes the voice just doesn't work right. For that, I apologize.

minik
Aug 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
No. I'm not a big fan of the iMac G4 design. It's good to look at, but the doom and the screen are out of proportion.

Aug 17, 2008, 02:46 PM
No. I'm not a big fan of the iMac G4 design. It's good to look at, but the doom and the screen are out of proportion.

Yeah, you're right; I hate when the doom is out of proportion too. I want my peril to be well rounded and properly proportioned. ;)

minik
Aug 18, 2008, 10:02 AM
What a huge typo. I meant dome. :rolleyes:

I cannot picture a huge 24-inch on an iMac G4, I doubt that the arm can able to support or balance the whole screen.

SkyBell
Aug 22, 2008, 05:17 PM
We could just go back to using smaller screens.:p

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 22, 2008, 05:21 PM
We could just go back to using smaller screens.:p

*scoff* what a ridiculous suggestion. Everyone needs a 24 inch screen!

... actually that's starting to feel a little cramped.

Consultant
Aug 22, 2008, 05:24 PM
The G4 design is great for users

but it's difficult to service.

SkyBell
Aug 22, 2008, 05:24 PM
*scoff* what a ridiculous suggestion. Everyone needs a 24 inch screen!

... actually that's starting to feel a little cramped.

Bring on the 30" I suppose?;)

I've never understood the need for anything larger then a 21" screen. Maybe because I'm on a 12" on a daily basis.:p

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 22, 2008, 05:31 PM
Bring on the 30" I suppose?;)

I've never understood the need for anything larger then a 21" screen. Maybe because I'm on a 12" on a daily basis.:p

I agree. I really wanted a 24 inch iMac, but then after comparing it with the 20 inch iMac the large screen seemed like more of a hinderance. I just had to sit too far away from the screen and it was uncomfortable to look from one side to the other.

zedsdead
Aug 22, 2008, 07:32 PM
When the iMac eventually gets a touch screen, the basic idea of the G4 design seems to be the best implementation. That is when I would want it, but without a touchscreen, the current design is my favorite.

gehrbox
Aug 22, 2008, 07:44 PM
Voice your opinions. Personally, I like the current aluminum design. However, I know a lot of people would love if the iMac G4 was remade with current innards.

I own a 17" G4 iMac, but prefer my 24" Aluminum iMac's aesthetics.

Aug 23, 2008, 03:03 AM
When the iMac eventually gets a touch screen, the basic idea of the G4 design seems to be the best implementation. That is when I would want it, but without a touchscreen, the current design is my favorite.

When the iMac gets touchscreen? How soon would that happen, I wonder? Plus, how soon would that happen for it to be cost-effective and not just for the rich users? In all reality, I for one don't think that the iMac will get touch screen for quite awhile; years, probably.