PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Button unresponsive, having trouble w/ "Oragami"

Mr. Bubbles
Aug 16, 2008, 05:53 PM
This concerns the unresponsive or "sticky" mouse button problem common with first run MacBooks. The "fix" is posted here: http://ibloggedthis.com/2006/06/29/an-origami-solution-to-the-apple-macbook-trackpad-squishy-button-problem/

I've been trying all shapes and thicknesses of paper in the battery compartment under the trackpad. I found one way that made the half of the button closest to the screen work, but the other half was still unresponsive.
I tried again a few different times, and now I can't seem to get the button to click at all!

If you've had this problem, please tell me specifically what you were able to do to correct it!
Thanks!!!

cs130
Oct 24, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hi,

Looks like you posted a while ago, but I figured I would respond anyway in case this is of use to anyone else.

I encountered the same problem... my Macbook trackpad button lost its spring to the point where merely brushing the button was enough to generate a click.

The origami hack looked promising, but only seemed to make the problem worse for me. I think I have a different model macbook, since mine has a circular rubber foot that isn't pictured in the solution. It seems like that round spot inside the battery compartment is actually the back of the button sensor. I found that wedging paper in there compresses the button/sensor further, which is the opposite of what I want.

Anyway, I found that taking a thin strip of cardboard and sliding it in between the back of the button and the case housing actually generates more space between the sensor and restores the button's "clickiness". I used a small piece of cardboard cut from a cereal box, about 0.5 x 2 cm in size. I creased it in the center and slid it about half way in, so there is still a tab that can be pulled out if necessary. In case it's not clear, I inserted the paper at the location of the red arrow in the included image.

Hope this helps.