Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'm off to a music festival at the end of the month, and currently my 400D only has the kit lens.

Basically I'm looking for something that is both cheap (as I don't want to be distraught if I damage it while there), and has decent zoom - for capturing friends a distance away, and possibly being pointed at artists on stage.

Oh, and preferably a wide*ish* aperture for snapping in the dusk with a not too slow shutter speed. If that makes sense.

:eek:

scotpole

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2006
Canon's Is

At Wal Mart you can get a Canon Power Shot Pro S3 or later for around $150 - $240(US). The Canon cameras with the IS (Image Stabalization) are very good at low light situations. They have an optical zoom of up to 10x and a digital multiplier of up to 4x which gives 40x zoom. Sometimes on plant pictures you see bugs that you never knew where there. Many of the Pro series will run on AA batteries, so if you forget to charge the battery pack, your goose is not cooked.

As far as digital lens range it confuses me. I just bought a Canon Eos xsi and the two lens I purchased with the camera were an 18 -55 mm zoom and a 75 - 300 mm lens (around $400 us). The 75 - 300 mm lens is about a 4X telephoto lens.

I recently took a photos out in the Western US. The photos were mainly landscapes, but in that situation the Canon Power Shot S3 was somewhat more versatile and had more zoom than the Eos Xsi. For one thing I did not have to change lenses. But the Eos absolutely has more pixels.

I have printed size C (17inch X 22 inch) from the S3 on an Epson 3800 with out degradation or pixelization and I had some room left over for cropping.

:cool:

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Photographed half a dozen music festivals this summer, from Lollapalooza to All Points West. a 70-200mm f/2.8 is your best friend. Every photographer worth his salt, from me to Getty, has one.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The lens you are describing is a 70-200 or 80-200 f/2.8. If cost is an issue look for a used lens. If cost is really an issue look for a used third party lens. You should be able to find something very usable for about $400. You'll be better off using a five year old Sigma f/2.8 then a new Canon f/5.6 lens.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You want a lens with a long focal length, wide aperture, and low price?

I suggest the Canon 70-200 mm f/4 IS lens, but I don't know if that's cheap enough. I don't think you have many other options, though.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Thanks for the input guys, I'll have a look based on your recommendations :)

While the "buy another camera" suggestion is interesting, it's not gonna happen here in the UK - the S5 costs more than I paid for a brand new EOS 400D.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I wish I knew more about camera lenses.
:eek:

Fitment on this looks fine for the 400D.. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130245808379

I'm not gonna be submitting the photos I take to National Geographic, so the lens doesn't need to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Frankly one that costs less than £50 would be perfect as I'm not going to be bothered if I manage to break it. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.