PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with my Flash movie?

Mike Teezie
Jan 9, 2004, 03:10 PM
I am total Flash noob.

I bought the program when I saw they had it for sale at my school, and I could put it on my school ID account. I've always wanted to learn flash, so I thought I would. Everybody has to start somewhere right?

So I brought it home, and dove in. I got a decent design going, here is a photoshop mock up of the "home page":

http://mikesgear.justblow.us/images/J2Web2.jpg

I have all the tweens set like I like them. The text and the light gray rectangle comes flying in from all directions and falls into place.

What I want is for the:

capabilities
clients
portfolio

to be buttons that when clicked go to a certain point in the timeline. I first conveted the text to symbols, then buttons. I tried to add actions to the newly formed buttons, but I can't seem to make the actions "stick". For instance, my capabilities "page" starts at frame 61, so I added a gotoandplay (61) action to that button. When I test my movie, nothing happens. I did the same for the other two, and uopn testing they also don't work.

The little symbol in the bottom left is meant to be a home button of sorts. The strange thing is, it works. I attached an action to it telling it to go to frame 25 when clicked, and it works like a champ.

The image above stops around frame 45 because I made a new layer in the timeline, and put an action directly in the timeline at that frame. Now, if it worked like I have in my mind, the movie would stop, and the user would have the option to click any of the three words which would take them to another "page". So far, no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

BTW - thanks for reading all this, any help for this NOOB will be massively appreciated!

lind0834
Jan 9, 2004, 03:54 PM
Sounds like everything is going the way it's supposed to.
Working with Flash Newbies all the time, here's a few hints.

I'd double check and make sure your on release commands are all there... Also, make sure you don't have buttons inside buttons.

Mike Teezie
Jan 9, 2004, 04:09 PM
How would I check to make sure I dont have buttons inside of buttons?