Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmccabe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
OK then, so I purchased around $50 worth of music and happily listened to the tunes until my computer died. It's a PC, and I had it reimaged; all is well; computer revived - except that is, for the $50 worth of music:mad:. Itunes now considers my computer to be different than the one on which I installed the tunes.

Obvious solutions:
  1. I can accept this and list my same computer as a new computer and one more of the 5 upon which I am authorized to play my purchased music.
  2. If I go with the above option, can I then export the music as MP3s and manage them from there outside of Itunes
  3. If I go with both of the above it would be with the intent of abandoning itunes in favor of a different player because I have to admit the 'control' over music I bought and paid for rankles me more than a bit. Had I bought a CD I could put it where I wanted it without this control.
  4. Perhaps I'm overreacting to a situation with a simple remedy that may occur to a different user.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Wait, so do you have the music files or not? IF you do just reauthorize your computer.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
Just re-authorize the "new" computer. If the "old" computer is still listed as authorized, you can de-authorize it.

As for CDs, if you lost the CD of music you bought, you'd have to buy it again. The record company won't give you a new one.

dmccabe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
As for CDs, if you lost the CD of music you bought, you'd have to buy it again. The record company won't give you a new one.
Ah, but I have never lost a CD, nor have I lost these files;)

Regardless, I have the files, but on attempting to reauthorize the computer, it is asking for a login name I no longer remember (lost that I'd have to admit:rolleyes:). In addition in failing to recognize the computer, it is supplying an incorrect e-mail ending and not recognizing my date of birth:confused:

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Ah, but I have never lost a CD, nor have I lost these files;)

Regardless, I have the files, but on attempting to reauthorize the computer, it is asking for a login name I no longer remember (lost that I'd have to admit:rolleyes:). In addition in failing to recognize the computer, it is supplying an incorrect e-mail ending and not recognizing my date of birth:confused:

In iTunes, find a purchased song and right click, select Get Info.
Under Summary you'll see account name. This is the iTunes account that purchased the song.

dmccabe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
In iTunes, find a purchased song and right click, select Get Info.
Under Summary you'll see account name. This is the iTunes account that purchased the song.
That worked, and might I add that all of you have been very rapid and most helpful. Thanks for giving a newbie a 'leg up' as they say where I'm from. Cheers,
Dmccabe

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I hate to resurrect this thread, because it had such a nice conclusion. But I have a co-worker that is probably in a similar situation, and didn't realize that she could just "authorize" her new computer?

What happened was, she bought a 2nd generation iPod nano. She proceeded to purchase some songs from iTunes, but also put quite a few into itunes from cd as well. Well this computer that her itunes was on, was at work. This computer took a dump, and they switched out the hard drive on her. So now it sees the iPod nano as a new device, and won't sync all the songs from the nano back into itunes. If she does this "authorizing", will that let her sync all the songs back, or just the purchased-from-itunes songs?

I had kind of told her that her options were, if she didn't want to have to re-rip all those songs from cd again, was to either buy some software that is sold out on the internet, or purchase a new nano to keep purchasing new songs on without losing what she had on the other one. Neither of these solutions she liked, so if I am wrong about this, I would be happy!

She currently has an itunes gift card that she can't use because of this- if she agrees to sync again so she can purchase new songs it will erase most of what is on there that was from cd it sounds like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.