Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I am a grad student and I work on the weekends at a very small golf course doing menial tasks, no big deal. 100 or more members, but rather unknown.

Then out of nowhere, with no notice, one of the sports legends and authors shows up and gives a private seminar to perhaps 50 golfers. He has coached PGA pros who have won all four majors. He is the guru.

I have to say he was so humble that I had no idea who he was, but after just spending some time with him to set up his seminar, I came home completely drained. I cannot explain it, but for me, it was the first time I had such close contact with someone so high profile in the world of sports and/or self help/psychology. I had never really talked to anybody that famous in my life.

But I have no room to complain about being around a legend and their entourage. Vijay Singh came the year earlier and just hung out at our rather unknown golf club.

What I had thought was once a huge and high profile world of professional golf is usually a very small, tight knit community where most know each other on a first name basis.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Then out of nowhere, with no notice, one of the sports legends and authors shows up and gives a private seminar to perhaps 50 golfers. He has coached PGA pros who have won all four majors. He is the guru.
Does he have a name, or did you want us to guess? :D

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Does he have a name, or did you want us to guess? :D

I got so excited when I met him, I forgot to mention.

Fred Shoemaker, one of the authorities on the short game.

I have tooled around with golf for 30 years and the short game is what I totally suck in. I have heard of a lot of names but I can never put faces with names so when he came up to me and asked me to help him in his lessons, I just thought he was a visiting shop pro. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.