PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a David Coursey.....

Backtothemac
May 23, 2002, 04:26 PM
OK, here it goes. After playing around with the PR-1 version of Netscape 7, I have come to a brave point in my life as a Mac User. I am going to try to get by without using any Microsoft products on my Mac at all for a two week period. I will not use office, MSN Messenger, IE, Outlook express, or any other product made by them.

The only exception to this is when I am at work, and have to use Citrix server to connect to the 2K server to do remote desktop support. Now that is not runing Windows on my Mac. I will also have to use VPC once during this time to send out a company Personal Address Book, as the program is for Windows only.

Now, that being said, any suggestions or comments good or bad, please post. I am going to see what it is like in the corporate world with the Great Satan ;)

Oh, also, all work will be done in 10.2, unless direct troubleshooting is needed for 10.1 or 9 on our network. I will also do this at home with my iMac.

Waddya think?

King Cobra
May 23, 2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
The only exception to this is when I am at work, and have to use Citrix server to connect to the 2K server to do remote desktop support. Now that is not runing Windows on my Mac. I will also have to use VPC once during this time to send out a company Personal Address Book, as the program is for Windows only.

Well, you can't have everything your way! :)

I really do aprreciate people dropping the use of Microsoft products whenever they can. But I am just worried the Apple may not develop their own version of Office, which has some features Mac users need, leading people back to using Microsoft Office v.X.

As for IE being dropped, let it hit concrete. As for moving towards Netscape, smart move. Right now, I am using Mozilla100RC2 and it works alright. I will eventually switch to Netscape again once 7 is finished.

I absolutely encourage people to give Netscape another chance, even if you want/have to wait for the final version of Scape 7. CNet even reviewed the product and said that Netscape could become a killer app. I completely agree.

I know there are a few problems, but this is a preview release. Once the final version is done, you will most likely wonder how in the world Netscape even got consumers to stick with 6.0. (Six was a nightmare...I had errors chasing after me!).

Let's go Netscape. Get IE off everyone's computer!

Striking over 500 victims.

teabgs
May 23, 2002, 04:47 PM
HOORAY!!! :D :D

I refuse to use M$ products as well....I don't use ANY! if I can help it...

Good for you!

Also, does netscape 7 work?

Backtothemac
May 23, 2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
HOORAY!!! :D :D

I refuse to use M$ products as well....I don't use ANY! if I can help it...

Good for you!

Also, does netscape 7 work?

Yea, it is great. X.2 has a few issues with it though. Namely the back button doesn't work. It may be a bad install, so I will do it again tonight at home. All in all it is a solid product for an alpha.

I will report back on how this goes.

King Cobra
May 23, 2002, 05:00 PM
Well, if you figure that you are running an alpha software on an alpha operating system, you get a possibly of a beta crash.

Don't forget, the Back button on Netscape 6.0 originally didn't work. So it might be a software problem. I am sure that it will be fixed for the final version.

Taft
May 23, 2002, 05:17 PM
Good luck!

I've actually been MS free on my Mac for quite some time. I never use IE (Mozilla and OW for me, thanks). I use Fire for IM. And I don't do much in terms of writing and when I do, I do it on Appleworks. Also, all my development work is done with Java and other MS free technologies.

I probably haven't used a MS product in a few months. I've never been happier. :)

I hope your experiment turns out the same.

Again, good luck!!

Taft

teabgs
May 23, 2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Taft
Good luck!

I've actually been MS free on my Mac for quite some time. I never use IE (Mozilla and OW for me, thanks). I use Fire for IM. And I don't do much in terms of writing and when I do, I do it on Appleworks. Also, all my development work is done with Java and other MS free technologies.

I probably haven't used a MS product in a few months. I've never been happier. :)

I hope your experiment turns out the same.

Again, good luck!!

Taft

Right on! the only time I use a M$ product is at work when I have to use IE because there's no room to install anything else... :(

I love Appleworks BTW, will never use Word if I can help it.

King Cobra
May 23, 2002, 05:37 PM
I do not use Word on my Mac and I will not want to. But, unfortunately, I have to use Word at Pascack Hills :( which is run on Windowz :( . And to top it all off, I need to use IE for a web browser there! :eek:

In my theory, I think that if people were smart enough, they would realize that they do not need Word (get AppleWorks), IE (get Mozilla or Netscape 7 once finished), or Wondows (get a Mac.) And people are even becoming so ignorant by saying that they will not switch. And probably that can't switch, since they use applications that are only compatible for Windoze.

What I am saying is that IE and Microsoft Word seems to be an addiction for computer users, especially Word. At least in Appleworks you can do such easy manual drawing and countless techniques, along with spreadsheets, advanced text, and databases, all for much less than $100. What does Microsoft Office cost?

If people could really see the beauty of Mac Applications, and the support for OS X, I would think that more people would start to buy Macs for the first time. And that would be, plain and simple, the right move.

Back on topic, I think that Netscape is going to try and pave the way to abolish IE. I will be waiting to see what people think of it.