Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexmo123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Probably a really dumb question but whatever.

I just bought the beats by dre, I understand that because they are always noise canceling there is always a slight hum.

However when I plug these into my MB i constantly get a buzz which is very annoying even with music. I take them out and plug them into my iphone and its all better. The two are right next to eachother.

Why?

Thanks

Edit:
I tried with a pair of Bose QC2's and they dont have the same problem

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
does this happen when using the battery power, wall power, or both?
Sounds like some kind of ground loop (somehow)

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I had the same problem with a pair of Logitech Noise Cancelling Headphones. A very disconcerting loud hum/buzz. I just got a replacement pair but haven't had the chance to test it out yet.

I could not duplicate the problem on my iphone, as well.

I will report back when I have the chance to test it out. I normally only use them when I travel and I am leaving on a business trip tomorrow.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Interesting yeah its only when the computer is plugged in.

yup, that's a ground loop alright. Your headphones have a self power, but when the computer is plugged in, the ground is no longer the same. The only way I know how to fix it (but it's not really safe, so try at your own risk) is to buy an adapter and lift the ground off of your charger. (or worse, just snap the ground prong off... But don't do that...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.