Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derrick Velasco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Hi everybody! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this great great site!
I was wondering since I have a 400MHz PowerPC G3 (512 MB SDRAM) and it's never let me down, however since it's running Tiger it tends to run on the slow side, BUT HEY! It was retired years ago so I can't complain! So anyways I was scrolling through the internet for ways to make an iMac G3 run faster and I found the Accelerate CPU iMac program.
And I know that iMac G3's tend to heat up very fast so I thought this was a bad idea, but what do you guys think?
Should I buy it?
Thank you so much!:D

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Some app will never make your iMac go much faster, I've seen that app, but never seen it reviewed.

If you could get like 20% better speeds with a simple app, why wouldn't apple implement the code in OSX?

colonels1020

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Some app will never make your iMac go much faster, I've seen that app, but never seen it reviewed.

If you could get like 20% better speeds with a simple app, why wouldn't apple implement the code in OSX?
Hmm.. I don't know about the iMacs, but i do know that there's a kext for the iBook G3's called iCook that lets you overclock the CPU without having to do any hardware mods.

Apple probably doesn't believe in overclocking and didn't implement it into OS X. Also they probably like making the OS slower on your older hardware since it's more motivation for you to upgrade. ;)

Derrick Velasco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I used iCooked, and if it seems to run fine,
But as I said before it runs at 400MHz and set it to 500MHz and it's running nicely.
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.