Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Hello,

I have recently received my new 15" Macbook Pro. I would like to upgrade my Macbook so I contacted the firm my company buys memory from and told them I need 2 * 2GB DDR2 RAM for a new Macbook Pro. They shipped me two MemoryCorp DDR2 667Mhz modules, 2GB each.

After inserting both modules in my Macbook, it just won't start. I get a black screen and the power led lights up (doesn't blink). It doesn't boot at all.

I tried each RAM module separately but both give the same result. I think I used enough force to insert them and make sure they were seated properly. I'm afraid to push harder since I might break something. I've put the original memory back in using the same force and that works fine (2 * 1GB).

Any idea? I don't have another computer to test these modules.

Thanks

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sounds like the RAM is either bad, or more likely, not certified to run in a Mac
I know there has been some problems with RAM not working in a Mac

CanadaRAM is a resident RAM guru, you might want to send him a PM or wait for someone else to come along with a better suggestion

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Ryzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
That company sells RAM for Macbook upgrades very frequently. I specifically asked them for a Macbook Pro RAM upgrade so I doubt they'd send me something if they were not sure it would properly work on a Macbook Pro.

And about faulty modules: What are the odds that TWO modules are faulty? :confused:

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
Have you tried inserting your old RAM? That will give you a sense of how hard to push (as that RAM should be working fine).

Also, are you sure you are inserting them correctly? The MBP RAM "toggles" in, i.e. you put it in at an angle and then you snap it down into place, unlike the MB in which you do a straight insertion.

It would be better to post this in the MBP forum rather than the MB forum, you'll get more eyeballs that have MBP experience.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
That company sells RAM for Macbook upgrades very frequently. I specifically asked them for a Macbook Pro RAM upgrade so I doubt they'd send me something if they were not sure it would properly work on a Macbook Pro.

And about faulty modules: What are the odds that TWO modules are faulty? :confused:

That's what leads me to believe there is another issue
Normally the recommendation is to re-seat the RAM and press hard
You have already done that
You tried them both individually

My guess... it's the RAM but I am not expert enough to give solid advice on this

You can start with Understanding Intel Mac RAM in the Guides or Buying RAM or Installing RAM

Normally, RAM recommended here is Crucial or OWC

Have you tried inserting your old RAM? That will give you a sense of how hard to push (as that RAM should be working fine).

OP said in his original post he had, and it worked fine

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
MacBook or MacBook Pro? You've used both terms in the post.

If it is a MacBook, chances are that you still haven't pushed them in all the way. Blank screen and flashing power light is the classic symptom. You push the module in about 1 inch and it stops. Then you have to get both thumbs on the RAM, and push hard and it will go in another 1/8th inch. You will have dents on your thumbs.

Other thing, try putting in one Apple module and one new module. What happens?

Ryzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
That's odd. When I clicked the "New Thread" button I was asked if I was sure I was posting in the correct forum. Since I noticed I was posting in "MacBook" instead of "MacBook Pro" I corrected this by selecting the "MacBook Pro" forum. And now my thread still ended up in the MacBook forum. :D I guess I still did something wrong by accident, so please move this thread to the MBP forum if possible. :)

To make things clear, I'm using a MacBook Pro. Do I still have to push harder in that case? :)

I will try to use 1 original 1GB module in combination with a new 2GB module from MemoryCorp. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for the help by the way. Nice to see that a new Mac user can expect help from a great community like this one.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Welcome to the Board!

And CanadaRAM is one of the most helpful members around, so you are in great hands!

Make yourself at home!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
To make things clear, I'm using a MacBook Pro. Do I still have to push harder in that case? :)

I will try to use 1 original 1GB module in combination with a new 2GB module from MemoryCorp. I'll keep you informed.

The technique for installation is a bit different in the MacBook Pro. Whereas the MacBook is a straight push in, the MacBook Pro uses angled sockets.

Put the contact edge of the RAM in the socket with the RAM up on a 45 degree angle. Use both thumbs on the RAM to push the contacts into the socket WHILE the RAM is still up on the angle. THEN lay the RAM flat down and click it into the clips. When it is flat, you should be able to see none or very little of the gold contacts remaining visible. If you see more than 1 mm (1/32") of contacts, or if the line is not exactly parallel to the socket, then it is not in right.

You cannot push it in any further when it is in the flat position. The clips 'clicking' is not positive indication that the contacts are properly seated. You gotta seat the contacts on the angle.

Ryzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Ok I've tried one of the original RAM modules in combination with the new 2GB modules. The results:

1 original module + the first new 2GB module:

Boots fine! Mac reports 3GB of RAM which is correct.

1 original module + the second new 2GB module:

First boot attempt: I get a message telling me I have to reboot by holding the power button.

Second boot attempt: It hangs on the startup screen with the Apple logo and the "in progress" indicator image.

Third boot attempt: Same as first. So I decided to remove the 2GB module and reseat it.

Fourth boot attempt: Same as first.

Conclusion: Faulty module? I now tried switching places. The 2GB module is now in the lower socket and the original 1GB module is in the upper socket.

Fifth boot attempt: Same as second (hangs at startup screen).

Just to make sure, I now switched the original 1GB module with the other original one. The 2GB (possible faulty) module is still in the MBP.

Sixth boot attempt: Same as first.

This is weird actually. I also tried to boot using ONE 1GB module (the other socket empty) which makes the MBP hang on boot. When I insert both 1GB modules, it doesn't boot either anymore! Hell, now I can't even get it back to work using the original modules... It asks for a reboot...

Now what? Please advice? :(

EDIT: Ok I got it back to work using the original modules. :)

EDIT 2: After trying some more I can't get either 2GB modules to work in combination with the 1GB original. This MBP is starting to annoy me. It's so inconsistent.

Ryzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Ok I managed to boot my MacBook Pro using a 1GB original module and the 2GB corrupt module. I downloaded Rember (free GUI front-end for memtest) and the second test already spawned errors. I replaced the 2GB module with the other one (that appears to work properly) and the test completed without any errors.

I guess that one 2GB module is corrupt so I returned it. I'm now waiting for my replacement module.

I'll keep this thread updated. :)

NobleApocalypse

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
I think this is a real problem...

I am experiencing the same problem when tring to upgrade to 4gb of ram. I got the Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook Model KTA-MB667K2/4GR - Retail. I could get Early 2008 MBP 15" 2.4Ghz machine to only recognize the 2gb stick in slot 1, and a 1gb stick in slot 0. I could alternated the 2 2gb sticks in slot 1 and the machine would show that there is 2gb stick in slot 1, but if I put either of those sticks in slot 0, the machine would not boot. I get the dim white light on the latch button.

I called Apple and they said the RAM is Mac Specific and the memory that I got should work. I still have Apple Care on the machine, so they arraged for me to take it to an Apple store where they are going to look at the machine... so no I have no MBP for at least 3 days!

I will let you know what happens from here.

CmfortblyNumb

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
Any updates to this? I'm seeing the same issue. I bought some Kingston RAM, 2x2GB, it specifically says "iMac Intel Core 2 Duo" is supported, but can only get the computer to recognize the 2GB chip in slot1, with the old 1GB chip in slot0 (both of the new RAM chips work in slot1, so it's not a bad RAM chip).

Thanks!

arkmsb

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Me too! - Any news?

I am having the same issue trying to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB. The Macbook won't boot with the two new 2GB modules but will boot fine with one old 1GB module and either of the new 2GB modules. It is the Kingston 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz RAM.

Thanks.

mhart032

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
having the same prob guys, i have tried this Kingston memory in both my MBP and my 08 macbook white. i made a appointment at the apple store for sunday. ill post results maybe we can finally get an answer..

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
I bought 2x2gb (Kingston Value) for my 2.4ghz Macbook last week, and had similar problems.

2x2gb = no bootup
1x2gb = no bootup
any combination of original 1x1gb and 1x2gb = 3gb and bootup

gave up and got a refund :(

the ram was the correct spec but I can't understand why 2x2gb doesn't work unless the Mac is very particular about the RAM it uses?

mhart032

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Well i just got the macbook back from the apple store, they said it was a problem with the logic board. so they replaced it. and still wouldnt take the 4gb kit. they had no answers they tried the kit in another macbook and still wouldnt take it. so it comes down to the macbook didnt like the kingston memory. i took the memory back to frys and traded it for the crucial apple memory kit and walla worked like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.