PDA

View Full Version : GarageBand Screenshots and iPod Mini Notes

MacBytes
Jan 9, 2004, 07:35 PM
- GarageBand 1.0 Screenshots (http://www.chaosmint.com/macintosh/articles/apple-garageband-screens.shtml) have been posted, showing various windows from the application. Obviously, more information and screenshots can also be found at Apple's Site.

- iPhoto 4 and iMovie 4 Screenshots

- iPodLounge notes that the new iPod Mini comes with "iPod Mini Software 1.0" which is specific to the iPod Mini. The new iPod Mini's do not support the Belkin Card Reader, Voice Recorder or Battery Pack.

- The sync-to-playlist feature allows users of the iPod Mini's to sync select playlists rather then your entire library

Doctor Q
Jan 9, 2004, 07:51 PM
Is there a little horizontal line through the centers of the zeroes in the time counter, or is it an optical illusion because there is a little notch in the left and right insides of those digits? I wonder what effect it is supposed to give. To me, they look like those little flip counters where there's a hinge in the middle.

In the instrument list, what are the male and female icons for? Different kinds of voices?

Edit: In the New Track dialog box, the "No Effects" choice has a leading blank, presumably a crude method to make it come out alphabetically first. Is this the first time we've seen this method used in an Apple product? Is there a better convention they've used to address this problem in the past, such as using a leading asterisk?

polyesterlester
Jan 9, 2004, 07:57 PM
I wish Apple would've given a more traditional interface to GarageBand. I'm not a big fan of the dark metal and wood sides. Especially since the wood grain doesn't appear to be very realistic. My opinion might change later though, when I get my hands on it.

mainstreetmark
Jan 9, 2004, 07:58 PM
If we're looking at the same thing, I think the horizontal line is just the edge of the reflective top, so it looks like glass or something. Apple loves this reflecty look these days (and I do too)

The man + woman are apparently equalizer presets to make a male voice or female voice sounds better or something. Just like a guitar can be turned into a fuzzy acoustic guitar from the 60's, I suspect you can turn your shower voice into elvis (ok, extreme examples).

I can't wait to get ahold of this software. I've been looking for something like it for a while. I haven't had a music app I really liked since Soundsmith in the Apple IIgs days. I already ordered a pickup for my banjo.

Grimace
Jan 9, 2004, 08:06 PM
Garage band is going to be a great app to get music-lovers - in addition to musicians - to be able to get their ideas out there.

daytona63
Jan 9, 2004, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that sync-to-playlist feature is already present on the current iPods, and has been for sometime. I'm looking at my 30GB iPod right now...

varmit
Jan 9, 2004, 08:21 PM
Make a song and post it, lets see how easy it is to become a musician. If they (apple) allow you to make a song and post it. If you don't think you have musical tallent, play us some beats so we can get the Idea of it. Looking at it is nice, but we want to hear it.

Quobobo
Jan 9, 2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by daytona63
I'm pretty sure that sync-to-playlist feature is already present on the current iPods, and has been for sometime. I'm looking at my 30GB iPod right now...

Hmm, yeah.. I'm really not sure how the new feature differs from "Automatically update selected playlists only":
http://quobobo.net/files/ipodprefs.jpg

This is on my second generation 20gig iPod, and it has been since I started using it with iTunes 3.

AlbinoPigeon
Jan 9, 2004, 08:29 PM
The interface seems easy enough, but what's with the wood on the side?

All of Apple's apps have been made very clean since Aqua, and the brushed metal stuff. The black looks like the 3rd gen interface (onyx or graphite), but the wood makes it look sloppy, like it's been added as an afterthought.

It could have been much cleaner without the wood and extending the black around to the edges.

Just my thoughts...

BenRoethig
Jan 9, 2004, 08:34 PM
Garage Band is the kind of app I've been waiting for for a long time. $50 is a steal for it alone, not to mention iDVD, iMovie, and iPhoto.

crees!
Jan 9, 2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by AlbinoPigeon
The interface seems easy enough, but what's with the wood on the side?

Well if you've been in a recording studio.. expecially one that has older equipment you will see mixing boards with wood side panels. Looks pretty realistic to me.

Freg3000
Jan 9, 2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by BenRoethig
Garage Band is the kind of app I've been waiting for for a long time. $50 is a steal for it alone, not to mention iDVD, iMovie, and iPhoto.

Yes, $50 is great. But for me, I need to figure out a way to connect my keyboard to my computer. I am sure I am going to need to buy some similarly priced adapter or converter or something. But I have no idea. Steve kept saying, "just connect it to your Mac."

I just want to know how?

crees!
Jan 9, 2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
In the instrument list, what are the male and female icons for? Different kinds of voices?

My guess would be yes... they are different men and women voices you can choose from. As one poster said they're probably equalizers to change between male and female. I could tell you equalizers alone could not change the sound of a voice from man to woman, or vice versa.

balconycollapse
Jan 9, 2004, 08:43 PM
I had a chance to chat with my buddy who was front row at Macworld. He also got to play with garage band a fair amount. He said the AU support is really good but he wasn't sure if it supported AU instruments like Absynth. Regardless a few good AU plugins beyond those included like Waves etc could really produce some amazing results. He said its very quick and efficient but certainly not as pro as logic but still very very good. Considering the Logic Big Box is about 250 bucks and NAMM is right around the corner I will look forward to a Logic 7 GUI redisgn similar to garage band. I asked him about midi and he said they had an m-audio midi keyboard connected but wasn't sure about midi out. Finally wood schmood. I'd use the app if it was hot pink or forest green. What a trivial ridiculous complaint.

crees!
Jan 9, 2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Yes, $50 is great. But for me, I need to figure out a way to connect my keyboard to my computer. I am sure I am going to need to buy some similarly priced adapter or converter or something. But I have no idea. Steve kept saying, "just connect it to your Mac."

I just want to know how?

After looking at the screenshots I don't think you would need a keyboard to use Garageband. There was one shot that had the grandpiano (http://www.chaosmint.com/screenshots/garageband/window3.jpg) and another with a a layout like in other loop creation software (http://www.chaosmint.com/screenshots/garageband/window2.jpg).

Any USB or MIDI keyboard can be used with Garageband.

slowtreme
Jan 9, 2004, 09:19 PM
Attack of the giant google ad :(

magi.sys
Jan 9, 2004, 09:26 PM
If you dislike the UI so much, I'm sure there is a way to change it to plain Aqua like with the brushed metal UI (with interface builder). But I agree, the wood is not needed.

I really hope this thing can do MIDI out and also support mutiple recordings at once, like vocal and guitar at once.

If not I bet Apple is working on a SoundTrack update or a new Pro App that is a GarageBand Pro version. iDVD and iMovie have a Pro equivalent, so maybe GarageBand as well ;) Else there is no longer any reason for SoundTrack to exist, besides the fact that Soundtrack can view video while you create music.

crees!
Jan 9, 2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by magi.sys
If you dislike the UI so much, I'm sure there is a way to change it to plain Aqua like with the brushed metal UI (with interface builder). But I agree, the wood is not needed.

The wood might not be needed, but it gives the traditional look and feel of older modeled mixing boards. It's all about software trying to mimic hardware, both in functionality and looks.

DGFan
Jan 9, 2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by crees!
The wood might not be needed, but it gives the traditional look and feel of older modeled mixing boards. It's all about software trying to mimic hardware, both in functionality and looks.

So doesn't that make it a candidate for brushed metal? Or did that part of the HIG go away with Panther?
:rolleyes:

MattG
Jan 9, 2004, 10:12 PM
Can't wait to get my hands on Garageband. Unfortunately, the Monster Instrument Adapter I ordered from Apple is on backorder until mid-February! I looked all over and I can't find anyone else who sells these. Anyone have a link?

art399
Jan 9, 2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by balconycollapse
He said its very quick and efficient but certainly not as pro as logic but still very very good.

Can you peg off some key differences between an app like Logic and an entry-level app like this? I've yet to do any music stuff on a mac but on the PC i used to use Nuendo a bit and it was pretty sweet, i also had some experience with Cubase some years back. Would GarageBand for instance have real-time effects chains, or is that a higher-end feature?

Finally wood schmood. I'd use the app if it was hot pink or forest green. What a trivial ridiculous complaint.

Well, trivial maybe, but i don't think it's such a ridiculous complaint. Mac users tend to place a lot of value in "Look and Feel", it just goes with the territory. If we didn't, we'd be happy with something that looked like Windows.(Wait, OS9 was pretty horrid looking too...).
The look has at least something to do with how much you enjoy the program, even if functionality is the paramount concern.

That said, i have to say i quite like the look of GarageBand. Yes, Aqua apps mostly all have the same look and feel and there is nothing wrong with the way they look, but sometimes it's nice to have a little change, and an app like this is a fine place to have it :)

art399
Jan 9, 2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by DGFan
So doesn't that make it a candidate for brushed metal? Or did that part of the HIG go away with Panther?

Notice the "Human" in Human Interface Guidelines. Note that Apple designers and developers are not mere mortals, they are demi-gods and as such, rules they create seem not to apply ;)

Sabenth
Jan 9, 2004, 10:37 PM
lets see a pro app like logic or cubase up agianst garage band hm i think that logic is going to win that hands down what with all the temp time shifting blah blah ...

Garage band sounds like a acid for the pc just with apple flair drag and drop bit of midi here and there ... yep just acid great though about time they had an app like this

balconycollapse
Jan 9, 2004, 10:46 PM
Its so hard to pinpoint the features so far as Apple is being "fuzzy" about specifications and not leaving in fineprint around the garageband introduction page. In soundtrack you can do effects chains so surely garage band could too as its not especially complex feature. My friend basically made the point if you wanna do rock music or a band its going to be great. Its imovie to fcp4. If you want to sound like aphex twin be prepared to make your own samples and import them. Wave editing, time stretching, minute midi editing, and surround are going to be absent as well as video support. But i still stand by the fact that this app with enough elbow grease could make about any album prior to the 1980s. I mean basically its a 64 track recorder with pro level effects. Lest we forget Sgt. Pepper was done on less. Some good AU plugins in addition to those provided and an ear for mixing are all you need. Finally if y ou h ave another mac laying around put garage band on it and use it as the guitar processor/vox processor and route it into the other mac running GB. One for tracking one for effects. He said the built in samples were excellent and i don't think the bosendorfer grand piano etc are just cheesy quicktime synthesis they are actual samples.

MegaSignal
Jan 9, 2004, 10:56 PM
Well if you've been in a recording studio.. expecially one that has older equipment you will see mixing boards with wood side panels. Looks pretty realistic to me

Well said. As an "older" person who would've loved to have had GarageBand back when I was actually in a garage band, this looks like one app that would be fun to explore and wonder what it would've been like to have had it when it really mattered.

In the meantime, iDVD looks terrific for home movies of the wife and kids...

Quobobo
Jan 9, 2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by MattG
Can't wait to get my hands on Garageband. Unfortunately, the Monster Instrument Adapter I ordered from Apple is on backorder until mid-February! I looked all over and I can't find anyone else who sells these. Anyone have a link?

Unless you absolutely need Monster's quality, you could just go to Radio Shack and pick up something for $5 that does the exact same thing. If you really need a Monster cable, www.monstercable.com might be able to point you in the right direction.

varmit
Jan 9, 2004, 11:23 PM
Important Notes they have only in fine print at the bottom:
DVD drive required to install GarageBand and iDVD.

Lucky me my iBook has a combo drive, but what about the other people that 't a dvd drive.

Also, iTunes in this package, why? Every Mac has iTunes to start out with, so why is it included in this package. Does anyone else have the fears that they might make it a pay for program like they have with the rest. I don't see it anytime soon, but why would they put it with this package if there wasn't the possibility.

Bytore
Jan 9, 2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Quobobo
Hmm, yeah.. I'm really not sure how the new feature differs from "Automatically update selected playlists only":
http://quobobo.net/files/ipodprefs.jpg

This is on my second generation 20gig iPod, and it has been since I started using it with iTunes 3.

The wood and dark metal are used because old Mixers back in the 70's and 80's had the same look...

http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/20/57/69_1.JPG

akac
Jan 10, 2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by varmit

Also, iTunes in this package, why? Every Mac has iTunes to start out with, so why is it included in this package. Does anyone else have the fears that they might make it a pay for program like they have with the rest. I don't see it anytime soon, but why would they put it with this package if there wasn't the possibility.

iTunes for pay? Never. Its the heart and soul of the Music Store. They are putting it in the package because #1 it is part of the iLife suite - its integrated with it all, and it makes it easy for those people like schools who don't want to download updates like that from the net or who have modems.

Nicky G
Jan 10, 2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by MattG

You will probably get a lot better quality if you get even a basic pre-amp for your guitar, and then bring that into your line in.

I believe the monster cable is just a mono 1/4" female phono to stereo 1/8" male mini -- Radioshack may have them, or Guitar Center.

AlbinoPigeon
Jan 10, 2004, 02:41 AM
Thanks Bytore for the graphic of the old board. I used to work on a light dimmer that had the same wood/black metal scheme, totally slipped my mind!

That said, I still think Garageband would look better without it.

Originally posted by balconycollapse
Finally wood schmood. I'd use the app if it was hot pink or forest green. What a trivial ridiculous complaint.

Like art399 said, this concern is hardly trivial. If Apple had released GB with a hot pink interface do you think it would be adopted as fast as this one will? I dont thin so.

UI is extremely important. Speaking as a professional graphic designer, the way something looks (ads, graphics, websites, etc...) plays a huge part in how people feel about it.

If you have a look that people think is odd, clumsy, or downright ugly, these perceptions get applied to the software as a whole. You can design 2 products, (whether it is an app, a print ad, a website...) and have them do the EXACT same thing, but if people think one looks odd, you can bet your bottom dollar that it wont be a success.

Also, while the UI that Apple chose for GB reflects the old boards from yesteryear, take a look at who this app is geared towards. Amature musicians, "garagebands", people who probably have never seen a mixing board. SO when these people take a look at it, they are gonna wonder why there are a couple of two by fours attached to the sides!

Clearly many people like the wood, but i'd venture to say that an equal amount of people either think it's weird, or just plain dislike it.

Finnally, is the UI going to stop me from liking what the product does, no. But after years of using apps from apple that are slick and clean, and thus a joy to use, this one is gonna make me do I double take everytime I launch it. Just because one can design an app that looks like it's physical world counterpart doesn't mean that one should.

iTunes doesn't look like an old receiver or radio. iMovie's UI doesn't evoke images of a Moviola. (I would go on with all the iapps, but this is getting long)

I guess i'm just dissapointed that this app isn't as clean-cut as it should be given it comes from a company called Apple.

elgruga
Jan 10, 2004, 03:00 AM
I like the wood - and whats in between the wood bits looks very good. This is an app that will bridge the gap for those of us who have a few songs we want to play with. I play guitar and a bit (i do mean a bit) of piano - I have not really found a program that looks as intuitive and straightforward as this.

I have to say, even tho I like the wood, I really think its a non-issue.

Comparisons with hot pink are not fair - the wood is not extreme, its just not to some tastes. Its a tiny bit of the screen and non-functional at that.

Calm down everyone, life is good if you sing and play and dont complain.

Its been a bit bitchy in these forums lately, hasnt it?

Is everyone hung-over from Christmas or what?

sosumi99
Jan 10, 2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by akac
iTunes for pay? Never.

What? Do you think it's cheap for Apple to keep on developing applications like iTunes? What other jukebox software can you get that's as good as iTunes and is free? I think Apple should start charging for it to help pay for the cost of developing it. Just like all the other iApps.

Vanilla
Jan 10, 2004, 03:28 AM
Does anyone know if its critical to have an external USB keyboard attached or can you build loops using a "virtual" keyboard?

I note one screenshot had a picture of a keyboard and wondered if that meant you could build up note sequences using the software.

cheers
Vanilla

Squire
Jan 10, 2004, 04:50 AM
Well if you've been in a recording studio.. expecially one that has older equipment you will see mixing boards with wood side panels. Looks pretty realistic to me.

I thought so, too. It looks like one I used to use. (reminisces)

Squire

Jedda
Jan 10, 2004, 05:32 AM
I think Apple should start charging for it to help pay for the cost of developing it. Just like all the other iApps.

Are you insane?

That would go against every fibre of apple's digital strategy.

Wy would they go to the trouble of building marketshare on windows and then decide to charge?

They are creating enough revenue and switchers from it anyway, so charging will not get them much extra $$.

Stoffel
Jan 10, 2004, 06:29 AM
I definetely should start to play an instrument now. GarageBand is so cool...
Lots of people have been waiting for such an app.

However, I still miss something like iWrite.......

Squire
Jan 10, 2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by sosumi99
What? Do you think it's cheap for Apple to keep on developing applications like iTunes? What other jukebox software can you get that's as good as iTunes and is free? I think Apple should start charging for it to help pay for the cost of developing it. Just like all the other iApps.

Last count, they had sold 30 million tunes on iTunes. Those people buying music and the people buying iPods for a 35% markup are paying for iTunes. Don't worry. They're making lots of money through the iTunes + iPod combo.

Originally posted by Stoffel
I definetely should start to play an instrument now. GarageBand is so cool...
Lots of people have been waiting for such an app.

However, I still miss something like iWrite.......

Funny you mention that. I told my wife at dinner that Apple had released one of my two dream applications. GarageBand, of course was the one they released. The other is an MS Word-caliber word processing app.

Squire

wordmunger
Jan 10, 2004, 08:10 AM
After looking at the screenshots I don't think you would need a keyboard to use Garageband. There was one shot that had the grandpiano (http://www.chaosmint.com/screenshots/garageband/window3.jpg) and another with a a layout like in other loop creation software (http://www.chaosmint.com/screenshots/garageband/window2.jpg).

Any USB or MIDI keyboard can be used with Garageband.

I think the poster wanted to know what kind of a cable to use. I suspect if your keyboard only has a MIDI out, you'd need something like this (http://www.musical-instruments-equipment.com/E/Edirol/USB-MIDI-Interfaces/) to connect.

Squire
Jan 10, 2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Vanilla
Does anyone know if its critical to have an external USB keyboard attached or can you build loops using a "virtual" keyboard?

I note one screenshot had a picture of a keyboard and wondered if that meant you could build up note sequences using the software.

cheers
Vanilla

From the "Play" page:

A Few Notes on the Built-in Keyboard

You can play and record these instruments by using GarageBandĄ¯s own built-in keyboard. You can also play and record GarageBand software instruments via a USB or MIDI music keyboard. Simply plug it in, and GarageBand knows how to use it, thanks to the advanced capabilities of Mac OS X.

Initially, I had the same concern. But now I know I can still play around with the software while I'm waiting to pick up cables and such.

I also think the wood issue is trivial (so why am I bringing it up again?) but I see it this way: People who were in a non-professional music group AND had a mixer, probably had one with wood on it. But who cares? We're all just waiting to get the damn program, right?

Squire

macMaestro
Jan 10, 2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by wordmunger
I think the poster wanted to know what kind of a cable to use. I suspect if your keyboard only has a MIDI out, you'd need something like this (http://www.musical-instruments-equipment.com/E/Edirol/USB-MIDI-Interfaces/) to connect.

Yup. The technical term for what you want is a 1x1 USB MIDI Interface. It essentially has a USB cable going out of one end and two MIDI cables going out the other end. I use this (http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=&Product_Id=3629615&ProductPageTab=Details) interface from M-Audio: $40.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 10, 2004, 11:09 AM
Well, I look forward to playing with it, but I'm not a big fan of the woodgrain - I hope there's a way to switch that.

D

burningsquid
Jan 10, 2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by varmit

the Iapps are supposed to be used as a suite, even if some of them are for free download, it wouldn't make sense to not ship those with the rest of the set.

As for your concernts that they will charge for itunes, I wouldn't worry about that either. Itunes primarily exists to sell music, and iTMS primarily exists to sell Ipods. It is absolutly NOT it apples intrest to do this.

LethalWolfe
Jan 10, 2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by DGFan

You misunderstood what crees! ment. "Software mimicing hardware" in this case is Garageband mimicing the look of an old mixer, not a new Mac.

I like the look. Instead of giving GB a generic look to "match" the other iApps they gave it some unique style.

Lethal

burningsquid
Jan 10, 2004, 11:35 AM
I dunno, I like all the apps on my computer to have the same look. One of the things that bothers me about panther is the two gui styles, one brushed, one white. If it was all one or the other, that would be fine, but having a mix of the two doesn't look as good (to me).

pjkelnhofer
Jan 10, 2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000

I just want to know how?

I have the same question, but with a guitar. How was John Mayer's guitar plugged in during MWSF?

I am actually asking because I was telling my friend about Garage Band (he plays guitar and records himself on a four-track). I have been trying to convince him to be a switcher and I think GB may do it, but he asked me how he would plug instruments into a computer.

crees!
Jan 10, 2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by pjkelnhofer
I have the same question, but with a guitar. How was John Mayer's guitar plugged in during MWSF?

I am actually asking because I was telling my friend about Garage Band (he plays guitar and records himself on a four-track). I have been trying to convince him to be a switcher and I think GB may do it, but he asked me how he would plug instruments into a computer.

I'm pretty sure you would need to buy some kind of box to send the signal from your guitar to your Mac. Just as for example you can't use a straight mic in the audio line to record, you need one that has power to send the signal.

arn
Jan 10, 2004, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure you would need to buy some kind of box to send the signal from your guitar to your Mac. Just as for example you can't use a straight mic in the audio line to record, you need one that has power to send the signal.

check out the accessories page

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/accessories.html

Monster instrment adapter (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T9106LL/A)

just a straight plug into the mic port.

arn

GregA
Jan 10, 2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Quobobo

This is on my second generation 20gig iPod, and it has been since I started using it with iTunes 3. Hey, I have a smart play list basically for "least recently played favourites".

When you play a song on the iPod and sync back to the mac, does it update the "last played" field?

jacobslateralus
Jan 10, 2004, 02:11 PM
after looking at theese screenshots I am very excited to find out that GB will infact allow you to record in different time signatures:

http://www.chaosmint.com/screenshots/garageband/newproj.jpg

I was a bit worried about this because as far as I remember everything played at the keynote was in 4/4 and I was afraid that apple might have decided that only "pros" use other time signatures.

also...this screenshot (http://www.chaosmint.com/screenshots/garageband/newproj.jpg) seems to imply to me that without any extra hardware (asssuming you allready have a line in) you would have the ability to record two tracks at once (channel 1/2 seems to me to be one channel of a stereo input). It also makes me think that with extra hardware (like the emagic 6 in 2 out usb thing on the GB accessories page, http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/accessories.html) you would be able to record more simultanious tracks. or else why would it say 1/2, ie- one of two, and not just 1?

so far this seems like really good news, but I still need two more things to make this the perfect app for me: 1. I need to be able to import aiff files (surely GB will do this, but so far I've seen no evidence to support this), and 2. I need to be able to make my own loops (I've heard that Soundtrack can do this, but so far I can't seems to find out if GB will do it as well).

if anyone out there has any idea about these or other possible missing and/or discovered features, please post them here. thanks.

jacobslateralus
Jan 10, 2004, 02:18 PM
for those of you who have been asking questions about midi keyboards, you should check out ipiano (http://www.machotshot.com/iPiano/)

it's a program that lets you use your built in (qwerty) keyboard as a midi keyboard. allthough it's a bit odd trying to play on a qwerty keyboard it's actually a lot easier than you might think (especially if, like me, you're not really a keyboard player). and it's a great portable solution for powerbook/ibook owners.

crees!
Jan 10, 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by jacobslateralus
for those of you who have been asking questions about midi keyboards, you should check out ipiano (http://www.machotshot.com/iPiano/)

it's a program that lets you use your built in (qwerty) keyboard as a midi keyboard. allthough it's a bit odd trying to play on a qwerty keyboard it's actually a lot easier than you might think (especially if, like me, you're not really a keyboard player). and it's a great portable solution for powerbook/ibook owners.

I just took a look at this and seems like it would be cool. Hopefully it'll do the trick for those who don't want to buy a keyboard and for those who don't want to use the mouse to click note by note.

Grimace
Jan 10, 2004, 03:14 PM
When will iLife start shipping with new computers? I was thinking of getting my dad hooked up with a new 15" powerbook.

Squire
Jan 10, 2004, 06:45 PM
after looking at theese screenshots I am very excited to find out that GB will infact allow you to record in different time signatures...

Very, very good observation. that would severely limit one's creativity sticking with 4/4 all the time. I wonder how many time signatures there are?

...and 2. I need to be able to make my own loops (I've heard that Soundtrack can do this, but so far I can't seems to find out if GB will do it as well).

I'm almost positive I either read that you can or recall hearing Steve make reference to that- at least as far as looping what you've recorded. (I'm not sure about making loops based on the other virtual instruments. Is that what you mean?)

Squire

jacobslateralus
Jan 10, 2004, 08:11 PM
what i'm getting at is that i'd like to be able to take something I made in reason or a drum part I recorded or what have you and be able to make an real GB loop out of it....one that would allow me to use all the loop features (auto time and key sync etc.)

crees!
Jan 10, 2004, 08:26 PM
what i'm getting at is that i'd like to be able to take something I made in reason or a drum part I recorded or what have you and be able to make an real GB loop out of it....one that would allow me to use all the loop features (auto time and key sync etc.)

Steve said you can make your own loops.. so I would assume you could make your loops in whatever program then export it to aiff, mp3, or acc (or whatever) then import it to GB. Just a guess but it would seem silly if you couldn't do that.

Squire
Jan 10, 2004, 08:29 PM
Hmmm...I have no idea what the import options are for GB, but on the Record section of the site it says this:

----------------
Once Again from the Top

Would you like the melody to come in a little earlier? Done in an instant. You can also decrease the trackĄ¯s volume, have it fade in or out, turn it into a repeating loop, even fix individual notes or the timing of a performance.
-----------------
So, as I understand it, if you record something directly into GarageBand, you can turn it into a loop. (Although it would be pretty tricky recording a drum part.)

Squire

jacobslateralus
Jan 10, 2004, 08:39 PM
maybe im' just missing something, but the way I understand it it that there is a difference between an regular audio loop and the built in loops that come with GB and sountrack.

a regular audio loop would just be any piece of audio set to keep repeating itself or "loop."

but the built in loops in GB are set up to allow you to drag out he length without having to copy and paste or worry about where the beats are. they also allow you to speed up or slow down the tempo without changing the pitch. and the will sync with other GB loops so that they will automatically match keys with each other.

I've read that sountrack has a loop builder that lets you set the end points of the loop and tell it the tempo and key so that it can auto correct your new loop.

this is the feature that i'm hoping is on GB.

stonegrether
Jan 13, 2004, 01:53 PM
I agree with Polyesterlester about the look of Garage Band being a little dark and woody. I hope there is or will be soon a way to alter the basic look of the thing, as I intend on spending a LOT of time staring it.

Originally posted by polyesterlester
I wish Apple would've given a more traditional interface to GarageBand. I'm not a big fan of the dark metal and wood sides. Especially since the wood grain doesn't appear to be very realistic. My opinion might change later though, when I get my hands on it. ;)