PDA

View Full Version : New batch of players unafraid of the iPod

MacBytes
Jan 9, 2004, 08:51 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: New batch of players unafraid of the iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040109215105)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Waluigi
Jan 9, 2004, 09:58 PM
Brian Bennett ended his article with this

This will probably provide even more fuel for the hot anti-iPod revolution.

This guy clearly knows nothing, and reminds me an awful lot of Jason Blair....

--Waluigi

winmacguy
Jan 9, 2004, 09:58 PM
That is why Apple has joined with HP to get iTunes loaded as the default media player on it PCs. Ok it was HP who approached Apple to do the deal. iTunes on every HP and every HP PC leading to iTMS and only playing AAC format. HP has 35% market share and the cover PCs, work stations, laptops, printers all of which most people on business use in their day to day working around the world.

market share,market share,market share,market share,market share,market share,market share,market share

Rocket Rion
Jan 9, 2004, 10:26 PM
Written by a staff reporter of the Computer Shopper. Hey that says it all.

dfa4
Jan 10, 2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Waluigi
Brian Bennett ended his article with this

This guy clearly knows nothing, and reminds me an awful lot of Jason Blair....

--Waluigi

Whatever the merits of the staff writer's analysis, I personally take offense to the Jayson Blair comment (note: it is spelled "Jayson", not "Jason." nice time, do YOUR homework!)

kettle
Jan 10, 2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by dfa4
Whatever the merits of the staff writer's analysis, I personally take offense to the Jayson Blair comment (note: it is spelled "Jayson", not "Jason." nice time, do YOUR homework!)

Why would you need to take this personally and then publicise the fact at the same time as being mysteriously absent withany reasoning.

If I missed a subtle joke, excuse me for being pants.

Sir_Giggles
Jan 10, 2004, 05:18 AM
The new batch of players should be afraid... very afraid. MUHAHAHA.

Sabenth
Jan 10, 2004, 06:25 AM
Honest to god without been relgious blah why is this such an issue lmao what comes will come what dont make it dont make it if the iPods still standing in 3 years time its shown its the better prodcut

Blaaze
Jan 10, 2004, 07:49 AM
Has anybody noticed the trend of the shiny-black look in the new competitors? It's like the shiny-white-ness of the iPod, but black. A new line of anti-iPods. The couple that I've seen is the the from Rio, and the Samsung Yepp that was shown in the article.

killmoms
Jan 10, 2004, 09:34 AM
I like how he points out that the iPod mini is STILL a better value than the two other small players he mentioned, but believes that they'll "dethrone" the iPod.

Interesting logic, and just more proof of CNet's anti-Apple bias.

--Cless

iJon
Jan 10, 2004, 11:42 AM
wasnt cnet making articles like this about 6 months ago, and then look at apple, selling close t0 750,000 ipods in a few months. numbers speak for it all, until someone makes their own software that works half as good as itunes no one will stop them.

iJon

shadowband
Jan 10, 2004, 12:02 PM
Except for the Apple iPod, which relies on a speedy FireWire connection, these small devices all use high-speed USB 2.0 to shuttle tunes to and from the PC.

This guy didn't even research his subject. The iPod does not "rely" on a firewire connection - it has a USB connection as well.

cr2sh
Jan 10, 2004, 12:21 PM
Though the $250 iPod Mini is temptingly tiny (3.6 by 2.0 by 0.5 inches and 3.6 ounces), CES brings bold new challengers that are comparable in size and storage capacity. Back in December, Creative Labs announced--and still heavily touts--its $299 Nomad Muvo©˜ 4GB, which offers the same 4GB hard drive as the Mini and measures a slim 2.6 by 2.6 inches and 3.2 ounces. With advanced playback control, the Nomad also boasts shuffle and resume features as well as a coveted cross-fade function. Another positive is that the Nomad is already available for purchase.

I've got a wild idea. If you're going to compare mp3 players on size... shouldn't you include.. I dunno... 3 dimensions?

I take so many issues with this guy, its infuriating to think he makes his living reviewing hardware - this poorly. I need to get into tech review.

Macpoops
Jan 10, 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by winmacguy
That is why Apple has joined with HP to get iTunes loaded as the default media player on it PCs. Ok it was HP who approached Apple to do the deal. iTunes on every HP and every HP PC leading to iTMS and only playing AAC format. HP has 35% market share and the cover PCs, work stations, laptops, printers all of which most people on business use in their day to day working around the world.

market share,market share,market share,market share,market share,market share,market share,market share

According to HPs CEO Apple approached HP because of their marketshare not HP approaching Apple. Regardless of who approached who i think this is great news for both the iPod and iTunes

winmacguy
Jan 10, 2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Macpoops
According to HPs CEO Apple approached HP because of their marketshare not HP approaching Apple. Regardless of who approached who i think this is great news for both the iPod and iTunes

from what I was reading Apple approached HP a little while back but at the time HP wasnt interested or decided to wait and see then following the success of the iPod HP came back to Apple to do a deal to partner up in the music download business.

cr2sh
Jan 10, 2004, 12:41 PM
I think its great that Apple is out here.. saying to companies "hey we have this solution, we have market share... use our product and you'll sell more computers." HP decided to go with it and we can only hope that other companies wil as well.

The one thing Apple really has going for it and others do not is HP could never sell a Dell branded mp3 player. Apple isn't seen as a competitor.. not yet at least. (hides the pirate flag) :)

billyboy
Jan 10, 2004, 03:57 PM
I was reading the article with the title in mind. Somehow what was written didnt make the point.

mkrishnan
Jan 11, 2004, 06:10 PM
In C|Net's defense, the 40GB iPod is still their highest-rated player....