Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v1rok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Is there an app out there that would do what FlightAware does: show up to the minute status (in-flight and on the ground) of any (commercial?) flight in the US with graphical interface of the current position of the plane and the speed and the altitude, etc.? I looked in the Travel section in AppStore, but I don't think there is one exactly like FlightAware just yet. Or am I mistaken?

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Is there an app out there that would do what FlightAware does: show up to the minute status (in-flight and on the ground) of any (commercial?) flight in the US with graphical interface of the current position of the plane and the speed and the altitude, etc.? I looked in the Travel section in AppStore, but I don't think there is one exactly like FlightAware just yet. Or am I mistaken?

Don't think so, but that is another untapped area. Everything I have seen shows airport status and not flight.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007

I could so use this last week and would need it this week. :(

I just used the web site version. I wonder if the data is not publicly available via an API for free or something.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I would think one will be launched soon. It is such an obvious idea I can't believe it would remain overlooked. I would only hope when launched it is world wide flight status as planes do often times tend to fly out of the USA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.