Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I was wondering how I could do two things with Photoshop:

1. Take a black and white photo and add color. Obviously it would not be the real color from the photo but whatever I choose for it to be.

2. How can I change the color of specific objects. For example, to change a person's eye color. How would this be accomplished?

Thanks.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Hate to say it, but there's no easy solution to this.

The magic wand tool will work in some areas - like the eyes.

You can also try Select -> Color Range. Each of those will select an area based on an area of gray. Plus, you can adjust the sensitivity of the selection (i.e. how much of a range of grays to select). I'd suggest playing around with this a bit.

Once you have an area selected to your satisfaction, fill it with a new color (Option+delete).

I don't envy the task you have in front of you. May I ask specifics on what you're planning on doing?

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Well for one, colorizing a photo can be done a multitude of ways. I found that making a new layer on top of the B/W photo set to color (change normal to color) works. All that does is turns a grey scale to whatever color you put on top. I've done a photo like this once. Came out OK. Not the greatest way to do it. Check some websites out on photoshop techniques. I always learn from them.

To change someone's eye color, just select the colored part of the eye, and choose the image menu, then adjustments, and then hue/saturation. Just adjust the sliders to get a color you like. You can also hit colorize, which turns the image Black and white and then adds 1 solid scale of color. Just experiment.

These are not simple, beginning photoshop tasks. I picked up the skills by just messing around and taking a couple of classes.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
well, i would use the pen tool, the lasso tool, or the quick mask button, to select the areas i need. If you don't know how to use any of those, do some googling...you'll find some help with that.

Then, once everything is selected, do Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Photo Filter. That gives you something that lets you pick and choose what color you need applied to the object. If you've made a selection, it will use that selectiong as a mask, so it only does that part of the image. Making it an Adjustment Layer, is just a cleaner way to do it, because you can always go back and easily change what you did.

-je

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
what i do is take a color photo then use the polygon tool to cut out the segment i want color then make a layer. now you will have the photo minus the color designated part which you can make b&w

combine the layers and voila

josh.meaden

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
first of all if its the colour of the overal photo you want to change, it can be done a number of ways.
Firstly using hue&saturation sliders: image> adjustments> hue/saturation. There are sliders in this option that are quite helpful.
Secondly would be using duotone, which limits you to four colours: Image> Mode> greyscale. then Image> Mode> Duotone, this brings out a window where you can chose up to 4 colours to replace the black and white.

If it was individual parts of the image you wanted to change, I would suggest using the lasso tool, or magic wand (depending on what it is you want to change). select the desired area, and while its selected repeat the steps above..

hope this helps, im sure there are many more ways but this would be the way I would go about it ;)

a cat *miaow*

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Another way, which has a very distinct look, and is actually fun to do... is get your B&W image and set the layer blend to Multiply. Then create a new layer underneath this and just paint on there. All the white bits from the original image will show the color underneath. To make it more interesting you can adjust the threshold levels and contrast levels on the image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.