PDA

View Full Version : Best Wireless Card for PowerBook

FF_productions
Aug 17, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hey guys...I got myself a PowerBook G4, trying to weigh my options as far as upgrades go.

The airport inside this laptop gives me horrible reception, always has, always will.

Would a wireless card give me a significant boost of speed/reception? If you have experience with it, please add your input as I'm trying to justify this purchase if it will have benefits.

Example, I'm in my bedroom, 2 floors down is the wireless router (not that far away), and sometimes reception drops to 0...I'd like to have a solid connection.

iToaster
Aug 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
It might not be the router so much as what it has to go through. Certainly, aluminum (well, the PBG4s have plastic antenna covers, and they help a little) isn't ideal for wireless reception, but the signal does have to go through two floors which impede on wireless performance, keep in mind a signal from either frequency is only rated at about 35m in an open space. To tell just how bad your reception is, hold option and click on the AirPort icon and then tell us your RSSI. A lower number is better, but I'm sitting right new to my AirPort Extreme and am getting an RSSI of -45 (45 less than a perfect signal so a lower number is better). In looking for another wireless reception device (which generally don't work well with AirPort software) it's good to have a plastic antenna cover.

vniow
Aug 18, 2008, 12:06 AM
http://macwireless.com

FF_productions
Aug 18, 2008, 06:52 AM
To tell just how bad your reception is, hold option and click on the AirPort icon and then tell us your RSSI. A lower number is better, but I'm sitting right new to my AirPort Extreme and am getting an RSSI of -45 (45 less than a perfect signal so a lower number is better).

I switched channels on my router, and I'm getting -74...I'm gonna keep an eye on it because it does tend to drop connection, but so far so good.

Also thanks to above poster for link to macwireless, I forgot about them as I have purchased stuff from there before.-