Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xjessicax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I've been googling this entire day trying to get the wireless internet on my macbook to work. I have a Netgear WPN824 router that I just bought yesterday and it works fine on my other PC and laptop, just not on my mac. I've been reading that people have been having trouble getting internet through their macs with a netgear router. However, no one has been able to find a solution for it. I can connect my MacBook to my Netgear WGT624 router without WPA security enabled but I would like to use WPA2 to secure it, but whenever I turn these features on, the computer connects to the network (with full bars), but cannot access the Internet. I keep getting an "Address Not Found".

I was able to get internet earlier, but everytime I close my laptop and start it back up, and I attempt to go online, it displays the "Address Not Found" page again. I've had to go to System Preferences and mess around with it for it to work.

Someone told me that if any of my proxies were checked off on my "Network," then I should uncheck them, which did make my internet work. After I closed it and reopened it 20 minutes later, the error page displayed again even though I had all bars.

macbooker15

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Hello! I'm over here!
First of all change your router from default channel one and see if that changes anything. Then see if the issue is the same if your network is unsecured...If that works, then its probly best to leave it that way and enable MAC filtering, but just changing the channel worker for me

xjessicax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I did both of them and neither worked. I'm still getting the "Address Not Found" :(

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
that happens to me occasionally, unplug the power supply to the router and plug it in again!
always works for me as my router loves to drop signal.
buying an airport extreme base station soon :D

andris

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Possible Solution

This has happened to me before also using a netgear router, and a software update resolved my problem, which never returned after.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but you should try it.

AndrisTrieb :apple:

xjessicax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I did a software update last night and still nothing.
Andris, did you mean a router software check or a mac software check? Because I've done both and still not getting any internet.

Jordz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
England, U.K
Have you put your DNS settings in your Prefs...Mine used to work automatically, however, one day it stopped working, it was connected but you could not access the net. Try put your DNS server in System Pref > Network > Airport > Advanced > DNS.
If that doesnt work then please tell me

xjessicax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I wasn't too positive what my dns servers were, so I googled them (btw I'm with comcast). But even after I put them in, I still didn't get any internet. Whenever I opened firefox, it would take a looong time to load, but in the end, it would still display "Address Not Found".

By the way, is there supposed to be an IP address next to "Router:"? If so, that might be the problem because mine is blank. How do I go about fixing that?
Here are some print screens, to make it easier to understand:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 150

andris

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Sorry, before I meant a software update on your mac, cause a while ago Apple had a problem with the AirPort cards, which they fixed with a software update.

From your screenshots it looks as if your router is not providing your computer with an IP.

Does AirPort in your Network settings ever say: "Connected" with a green status icon?

You could try manually setting an IP in your network settings, as long as you know what your subnet mask is.
(If you don't you can find it on the windows computers)

xjessicax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Oh, yes I completely updated my mac yesterday but still can't get internet. :(

Andris, my AirPort has gone green before, but even when I clicked on Firefox, the "Address Not Found" page still displayed.

And how do I go about finding my subnet mask? I don't know how to do that on Windows either, sorry. I'm pretty computer-illiterate.

Jordz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
England, U.K
No IP, That might be it, Ring up your ISP if its blank, or google what is my IP and if something weird comes up, then ring

xjessicax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I actually posted this problem on another forum and they were able to figure out. Finally my internet is working. Thanks to everyone who attempted to help me here, much appreciated!

andris

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
We are always here to help. Even though we didn't really this time.

Sorry for asking, but how did you solve it?

jokun

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
We are always here to help. Even though we didn't really this time.

Sorry for asking, but how did you solve it?

I'm curious to know too. I'll be buying my macbook soon, and one of the two houses I'll be using it in most often has a netgear router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.