Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.w

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2002
Colorado
Could anyone explain to me how you would go about setting up a firewire network??? I would like to share files from computer to computer somewhat easily. I know i could just use a cable, a hub, and convert my computer into a server, but i don't really want to do all of that. I live in a dorm, and about 6 of my friends have apple computers and we want to connect them to eachother with a somewhat fast connection (file sharing system). We could use an AirPort station, but at best we could get 11mbs. I know that computers can be connected via firewire, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I'm under the impression that FireWire connect only works when you hold down some key (I forgot which one) during start-up... is this true?

Any thoughts

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
you can connect 2 computers over firewire and thats it
you connect the 2 together with your firewire cable and then you hold down the T key at startup....depending on which one you want to startup from.....but you can network anything over firewire

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
When you use the firewire connection like that (from one computer to other), the "slave" computer (the one with the "T" at the start up), would work as a external hard drive only, you can not work with it. The only really cool feature is that you can open the software in that computer and use the ram located in that computer. I mean.

If you use After Effect in the main computer and you need to open Photoshop but you do not have enough ram, you can connect a secund computer via firewire, start it up with the T key pressed and then you can opend the soft and run it. It is a bit slow for the system but it works.

To unmount the slave computer just drop the HD icons to the trash.

Sometimes I have problems with the firewire connection because my Pismo doesn't show up in my main computer. In that case I start up the slave computer first and then I connect the cable.

mr.w

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2002
Colorado
okay. ohwell, i guess i'll just spend the time to do the job correctly and set up a server. that's ok, it'll give me a reason to beg my parents for an xserve. :D (i can only dream)

mr.w

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2002
Colorado
"Check out a program called FireNet, it allows you to do Firewire networking, I am just looking at it, it is slower that 1000bs-t Ethernet network.

Ensign"

So i guess there is a way to connect more then 2 computers via firewire... just thought i'd let you all know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.