PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Charger

memco
Aug 18, 2008, 01:39 AM
I'm on the last legs of my third or fourth apple power charger. After so many cords breaking on me I'm strongly considering a third party. I'd like to keep it compact like the apple charger, but am more concerned with a sturdy durable cord rather than having it look pretty? What have you guys used?

Vulcan
Aug 18, 2008, 09:56 AM
I used a third party one for my PB and the cord already broke on it :(

Mr$Whale
Aug 18, 2008, 10:12 AM
I just bought a third party adapter for my iBook G4. it's pretty solid and I've had no problems with it.

tdhurst
Aug 18, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm on the same one I bought three years ago. Perhaps you're pulling the cord out incorrectly?

Scepticalscribe
Aug 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
In common with tdhurst, I'm on the same charger I bought two and a half years ago; I bought a second one for travelling purposes which lives in a suitcase. As tdhurst points out, it is possible that you are pulling the cord out incorrectly. Try easing it out. Cheers.

memco
Aug 18, 2008, 11:33 AM
Well, the problem is actually with the connection to the brick. I had abused one of the previous cables, but learned better, and always give a little room to snap the cable to itself to relieve the tension and pull from the plastic connector and not the cable. Regardless, the wear and tear of winding the cable, and the fact that I carry my computer with me everyday necessitates a good cord. With the recent class action suit against apple over the chargers, I've lost some faith that they're all that good (the chargers that is). I was looking for recommendations as to what if any third party cords people can recommend.

mich80
Oct 16, 2008, 09:43 AM
The needle that extrudes from my charger going into my powerbook is now stuck inside. It works perfectly with my charger excluding of all other chargers, but I would like to get it fixed nevertheless. I am tempted to Open up my Mac to try and get the needle out of the dsc board. Is this wise or should I get a pro to do it. Costs $205 for labour and replacement of the board. Please email micheline@iinet.net.au. Thanks