PDA

View Full Version : Cleo's First 'Tar


cleo
May 23, 2002, 07:07 PM
Yay! Finally made it to 500 (and my school stuff and real work have only suffered minimally... :D). Anyway, here's my first avatar. It's nowhere near as snazzy as some of the others, but it (and the others that will follow - I have about 10 so far) were a great way to get introduced to and familiar with Illustrator, which is, BTW, a kickass program.

So... let me know what you think!

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2002, 07:10 PM
Very cool!

Looks a little like the style of "Daria", a cartoon that used to be on MTV...:)

britboy
May 23, 2002, 07:11 PM
Self-portrait? Damn, that mental image is going to have to change to include glasses...

I like the colours; nice touch with the hair-band :)

Overall: it looks good. Did you do it all yourself?

cleo
May 23, 2002, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I was zoomed in on the lips earlier and left my desk for a few minutes, and when I came back I was like, "whoa, Daria." Weird.

Yup, did the whole thing myself. I've also done a whole bunch of others with me dressed up as various people... kind of cute. But I'm going to let people get used to this one first. :D

And yes, I do wear glasses. I used to wear contacts, but they kind of bug me, so now I only wear them when it's raining (nothing to ruin your day like water spots on your glasses). But they're really cute ones. :D

teabgs
May 23, 2002, 07:18 PM
tis a nice tar. I like that "you're" not looking forward but to the side. nice touch

mac15
May 23, 2002, 07:19 PM
nice work with illustator cleo....
will you be changing tars as much as me.....:D
nice touch really personal

Beej
May 23, 2002, 07:24 PM
Heh. Cool. Great job! :D



I thought I'd add this line to my first post for the day so I don't start the day in a mono-syllablic fashion. (As you do.)

King Cobra
May 23, 2002, 07:26 PM
That isn't too bad at all.

And you did that with Illustrator? That isn't too bad. I like using Photoshop or Appleworks for images. But considering you just got your first package that is not bad at all.
__________________

Fear the King.

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
That isn't too bad at all.

And you did that with Illustrator? That isn't too bad. I like using Photoshop or Appleworks for images. But considering you just got your first package that is not bad at all.

So what's the deal with the delay, KC?

When are we gonna see yours?

cleo
May 23, 2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
That isn't too bad at all.

And you did that with Illustrator? That isn't too bad. I like using Photoshop or Appleworks for images. But considering you just got your first package that is not bad at all.


Yeah, I haven't quite figured out the vector tools in Photoshop, and I really prefer to work with vectors... just like the clean-cut look they give, plus for something like this it was helpful to be able to start out with it huge and then just shrink the scale without losing any detail.

Some of my dressed-up 'tars are much more elaborate, as I was fiddling with symbols and such, but you're just going to have to wait for those! :D

King Cobra
May 23, 2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


So what's the deal with the delay, KC?

When are we gonna see yours?

I am planning to get a .gif animation thing going for an avatar. But I need to search the internet to find something that is just right. I will try a little more in-depth search to find what I am looking for.

BTW, I think this may have been brought up, but where would you find an OS X compliant .gif or .jpg animator, perferably free? Are there any free?
__________________

Fear the King.

britboy
May 23, 2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra

BTW, I think this may have been brought up, but where would you find an OS X compliant .gif or .jpg animator, perferably free? Are there any free?


There's a few, like gif builder, but there not much good i found. Then again, that might just be me, and you'll love them. Have you tried searching on versiontracker for gif animators?

mymemory
May 23, 2002, 08:10 PM
Cleo, do you have the hair like Bart Simpson?

I'm gonna change my tar soon too.

mac15
May 23, 2002, 08:21 PM
my memory can I make you one
I love making em now.....I just finshed with ambitioulemons one
It looks cool

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by cleo
Yeah, I haven't quite figured out the vector tools in Photoshop, and I really prefer to work with vectors... just like the clean-cut look they give, plus for something like this it was helpful to be able to start out with it huge and then just shrink the scale without losing any detail.

Some of my dressed-up 'tars are much more elaborate, as I was fiddling with symbols and such, but you're just going to have to wait for those! :D

Again, great 'tar cleo. But as for the vectore issue, you can create it all in Illustrator and import them as paths in photoshop and tweak them there. Illustrator is much easier to do the major editing and designing and just use photoshop for the final effects, or to import into Image Ready if you have something to animate.

Looking forward to seeing cleo dressups! Did you play with Barbies when you were little?

cleo
May 23, 2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Again, great 'tar cleo. But as for the vectore issue, you can create it all in Illustrator and import them as paths in photoshop and tweak them there. Illustrator is much easier to do the major editing and designing and just use photoshop for the final effects, or to import into Image Ready if you have something to animate.

Looking forward to seeing cleo dressups! Did you play with Barbies when you were little?

Thanks, Duke! That means a lot, coming from the great avatarist himself! :)

I'll have to play around with moving files between the two programs tomorrow. For the 'tars I don't think I want any more detail/effects, as they might get blurry... but I'm (hopefully, if I get all my stats homework done) going to be starting on that web project this weekend, and I'll definitely be wanting to use some Photoshop filters and such.

As for Barbee... I think I did have some, but of course they were always kicking Ken's ass. :D

3rdpath
May 23, 2002, 10:08 PM
very cool avatar.

wow, you zipped to 500 in a blink....;)

eyelikeart
May 24, 2002, 12:21 AM
congrats on 500 cleo!! :D

while there's not much I can say...and I'm sure jello will say I'm just trying to keep up the post count here...I do like the avatar...:D

jelloshotsrule
May 24, 2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
congrats on 500 cleo!! :D

while there's not much I can say...and I'm sure jello will say I'm just trying to keep up the post count here...I do like the avatar...:D

hey eye, way to talk incoherently just to keep your posts going!!!!

haha. no, just kidding.

i actually don't think you post any less coherently than anyone else, just so happens that in some threads we've had discussions in, you've made silly typos which i was petty enough to joke about.... :)

it's allllll good :) ;) :p :cool:

all those. for you eye!

eyelikeart
May 24, 2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
just so happens that in some threads we've had discussions in, you've made silly typos which i was petty enough to joke about.... :)


I'm surprised I don't make more...

sometimes it's hard having to quickly hide the window when the boss comes walking by...he he he ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 24, 2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


I'm surprised I don't make more...

sometimes it's hard having to quickly hide the window when the boss comes walking by...he he he ;)

haha. slacker.

when i had an office job i'd put my head on my hand and sleep facing the comp screen.... easier to fake that way..... word

Backtothemac
May 24, 2002, 01:29 AM
Hey Cleo, love the tar, is it a self portrait? You are such a babe ;)
And I don't know what people have against Bart Simpson hair, I dig it. Looking forward to seeing the dress up series like Duke said.
Peace.

Mr. Anderson
May 24, 2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by cleo


Thanks, Duke! That means a lot, coming from the great avatarist himself! :)

I'll have to play around with moving files between the two programs tomorrow. For the 'tars I don't think I want any more detail/effects, as they might get blurry... but I'm (hopefully, if I get all my stats homework done) going to be starting on that web project this weekend, and I'll definitely be wanting to use some Photoshop filters and such.

As for Barbee... I think I did have some, but of course they were always kicking Ken's ass. :D

Play with the filters, learn their strength and weaknesses, they're not good for everything, sometimes a brush or tool will work better. And if you start doing a lot of photoshop stuff you might want to look into getting a tablet. I have a nice 9x12 at work and it is just awesome, but they can be a bit pricy.

I had G.I.Joe myself, when they were the full size, like Barbies. He always beat up Ken to get the girl, Ken never stood a chance in his pants and sweater outfits.....

macfreek57
May 24, 2002, 03:35 AM
for those of us who can't buy or...ahem...steal photshop and are not satisfied with the pixelation in appleworks (especially scaling), i have recently found iDraw to be an excelent shareware graphics program. it is basically the elements of the two applework's graphics doc types but goes a bit beyond -- it supports translucence and intuitive-er (:D) interface
AND....
it's less than a megabyte!

Ensign Paris
May 24, 2002, 03:42 AM
Like the 'Tar, just reminds me I have to sort mine out!

Ensign

Mr. Anderson
May 24, 2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


I'm surprised I don't make more...

sometimes it's hard having to quickly hide the window when the boss comes walking by...he he he ;)

Well, you better hope he's not a member of MacRumors, looking over the boards now that you've put you pic online....

Speaking of that, maybe I should too, oops. Back to work...