PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook won't recognize second external drive

laclef
Aug 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

I've searched the threads but can't find an answer to my problem. I have two problems really but am hoping if I can fix the first, I can work out the second with existing information on the forum.

I have a WD 500gb external drive which I use with my Powerbook G4 through firewire. It works fine but now I can't seem to use any other external drive. I tried connecting another WD 320 gb external drive which I am plugging in through USB, but get nothing. I also tried running my other mac (Ibook G4) in target mode to access information on its hard drive but have the same issue - the Powerbook just won't recognize/mount (i.e. I can't see it in finder or desktop or disk utilities).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

merl1n
Aug 18, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hi all,

I've searched the threads but can't find an answer to my problem. I have two problems really but am hoping if I can fix the first, I can work out the second with existing information on the forum.

I have a WD 500gb external drive which I use with my Powerbook G4 through firewire. It works fine but now I can't seem to use any other external drive. I tried connecting another WD 320 gb external drive which I am plugging in through USB, but get nothing. I also tried running my other mac (Ibook G4) in target mode to access information on its hard drive but have the same issue - the Powerbook just won't recognize/mount (i.e. I can't see it in finder or desktop or disk utilities).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Try a PRAM reset. If that doesn't work, try an PMU reset.

You can find the procedures on apple.com/support and use the search field for "PMU reset" and "PRAM reset".

TEG
Aug 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
Is the USB drive Bus Powered? That may be the problem, as the system may be providing all available external power to the FW drive. I would suggest using a Powered Hub between the computer and the USB Drive.

I would definitely try the PMU and PRAM resets as well.

Can you connect anything other than the 500GB and get it recognized?

TEG

laclef
Aug 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Try a PRAM reset. If that doesn't work, try an PMU reset.

You can find the procedures on apple.com/support and use the search field for "PMU reset" and "PRAM reset".

Have not tried the PMU reset. Should I be worried that I won't be able to access the 500gb along with the other external drives? Thanks for the suggestion.

laclef
Aug 18, 2008, 12:44 PM
Is the USB drive Bus Powered? That may be the problem, as the system may be providing all available external power to the FW drive. I would suggest using a Powered Hub between the computer and the USB Drive.

I would definitely try the PMU and PRAM resets as well.

Can you connect anything other than the 500GB and get it recognized?

TEG

Yes. Video Camera is recognized in IMovie and small falsh drives are recognized.

TEG
Aug 18, 2008, 01:47 PM
Can you get just the USB HD to work?

TEG

laclef
Aug 18, 2008, 01:55 PM
Can you get just the USB HD to work?

TEG

320gb Drive (USB) is not powered and does not appear at all. I know it works because it works on other computers, including macs.

Consultant
Aug 18, 2008, 02:19 PM
320gb Drive (USB) is not powered and does not appear at all. I know it works because it works on other computers, including macs.

Western Digital 2.5" USB drives require additional power.

Some Powerbooks do not provide the additional power. Strangly, 1.33ghz 17" does, but 1.5ghz 17" does not.

Works on intel macs and probably desktop macs.

TEG
Aug 18, 2008, 03:07 PM
It also depends on which USB port you are connected to.

TEG