PDA

View Full Version : making tars for people


mac15
May 23, 2002, 08:27 PM
i would just like to say that I will make tars for people now
I made one for ambitiouslemon
if you want one just email me and tell me a theme or something you want

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 09:17 PM
Ah, excuse me? I think you've stepped into the wrong territory here, offering services for something that's already well established. You think you're that good, do you? You are the most prolific 'tarist on the board, I'll give you that, but with the limited number of people >25 that have tars now, do you think there's that great a market?

mac15
May 23, 2002, 09:25 PM
sorry for taking your place ......I wanted to do it for fun
sheeesh...soooory

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by mac15
sorry for taking your place ......I wanted to do it for fun
sheeesh...soooory

Dude, I'm giving you a hard time, sheesh, I hate having to force sarcasm. Do it, have fun, you obviously enjoy it enough to make 5 a day for your self! Just wait a bit, you'll have an opportunity soon to make a whole bunch of 'tars....

menoinjun
May 23, 2002, 09:39 PM
To tell you the truth, and believe me I mean no disrespect, but I find constantly moving avatars very annoying while browsing a page. Whatever happened to a picture saying a thousand words? I find good static avatars much more interesting and pleasing to the Eye. (pun intended if anyone gets it)

Duke, yours is very simple and has very little animation, so I like it. I also find the picture to be really nice behind it. The others are cute, but the meaning is very obvious and gets old.

Are there rules for avatars? When I earn mine, I'd like it to be a bit bigger than all the others now. Is there a pixel limit? I've seen other sites that have panoramic style avatars and those are really cool.

-Pete

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber

Are there rules for avatars? When I earn mine, I'd like it to be a bit bigger than all the others now. Is there a pixel limit? I've seen other sites that have panoramic style avatars and those are really cool

I agree with everything you have to say, and thanks for liking my tar, I tried to make it subtle. As for B2TMs iMac crushing Dell, it only cycles through once, so you're not forced to watch it continually. And the frame it stops on isn't a bad image in itself. My personal favorites are beej's and fallerons.

The limits are what you see, 50x50 and 20k, not much to work with, but more than enough to create something fun.

Beej
May 23, 2002, 09:46 PM
Does anyone find the smoke in my 'tars annoying? I think it's always pretty subtle...

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Beej
Does anyone find the smoke in my 'tars annoying? I think it's always pretty subtle...

They're great, you don't notice them unless you're really paying attention. I think one of the most annoying ones was my original dukestreet one and the 'show me the G5'

mac15
May 23, 2002, 09:54 PM
fair enough duke
But I want to get a tar that say hey that mac15...any Ideas
I'm sorry If I get people annoyed cause I like changing my tar all the time....but to me it gets dull quick

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2002, 10:48 PM
No offense, but are you actually making those?

They look to me like ones I've seen around on the 'net...

macstudent
May 23, 2002, 10:56 PM
I just can't wait to put mine own online

krossfyter
May 23, 2002, 11:05 PM
mac15 going for the "the avatar interception situation"


bring that *#$% in! uh!

mymemory
May 23, 2002, 11:37 PM
My avatar is cool, after a while you do not know if is supporting PC's or Mac's:D

mac15
May 23, 2002, 11:58 PM
it gets confusing, mac bad PC good
no wait........

Backtothemac
May 24, 2002, 12:03 AM
I like a good tar. I mean who doesn't. I agree thought about changing them so fast. I like the spy one, and the one you have now. Both are great. If you are making them yourself, then kudos, if not and your taking credit for them, then shame, shame shame.

I give all props on my avatar to the Great Dukestreet. :p

mac15
May 24, 2002, 12:08 AM
well it's time to own up
I didn't make the 007 one or the traffic one... I took em from resexellence
in the throbbers section....and I just changed em a little bit
but the one I have now and the one I made for ambitiouslemon are mine....I did them...I kept changing so often so people would recognise em
So I guess it is shame shame shame

It was a fun ride will it lasted but now it's over..........

eyelikeart
May 24, 2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by mac15
It was a fun ride will it lasted but now it's over..........

and then comes the admission of guilt...

shameful day for all here at macrumors... ;)

Backtothemac
May 24, 2002, 12:47 AM
Well, shame on you Mac15 ;)

Yea, like we are going to pass judgement. Well Alpha may, but don't worry about it. It isn't a big deal. Keep the one you have now. It is yours, and quite frankly I think it is the best one that you have had. Rock on my brother.

mac15
May 24, 2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well, shame on you Mac15 ;)

Yea, like we are going to pass judgement. Well Alpha may, but don't worry about it. It isn't a big deal. Keep the one you have now. It is yours, and quite frankly I think it is the best one that you have had. Rock on my brother.

I thought you would pull out the pitch fork and come after like and angry mob
but I will never steal again;)

Backtothemac
May 24, 2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by mac15


I thought you would pull out the pitch fork and come after like and angry mob
but I will never steal again;)

All right. Go to your room for a half an hour young man. The only thing you can do while you are there is play with that Apple computer of yours.....:p

Mr. Anderson
May 24, 2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by mac15


I thought you would pull out the pitch fork and come after like and angry mob
but I will never steal again;)

It was a little obvious from some of the tars you did that the traffic sign and the 007 weren't yours, especially after seeing the skateboarder. You did do that one, right? But you did mention when you introduced the traffic sign that you had outdone yourself this time.....

Don't worry about stealing, do you think I made the iMac and Dell from scratch for B2TMs 'tar, hell no. I used things I found on the net and modified them. There wasn't any question about it, I wasn't worried anyone would get mad at me for taking images that I hadn't created. What you have to do is give credit where credits due, and don't try and pass them off for your own, because your not going to fool everyone.

Continue making more 'tars, learn how to make things from scratch - look at what cleo did - these things aren't that tough, especially since you seem to know something about what you're doing.

britboy
May 24, 2002, 05:55 AM
Whilst the mood is one of honesty... the original image for my tar i found on the net. The animation is mine though :)

If anyone does find it annoying though, just let me know. I promise not to break down and be inconsolable for all of... oh, about 5 seconds :p

Ensign Paris
May 24, 2002, 06:17 AM
I have alot on at the moment, I want to make my tar only go through once and make the time it spends on each complete avatar greater, it will take hardly anytime, if I can get around to it :)

Ensign

britboy
May 24, 2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I have alot on at the moment, I want to make my tar only go through once and make the time it spends on each complete avatar greater, it will take hardly anytime, if I can get around to it :)

Ensign

If you want a hand with that, i'm on holiday at the moment and could do that easily.

I can't promise i wouldn't replace schumi with button though ;)

King Cobra
May 24, 2002, 07:37 AM
I wonder if we will see a competition for avatars. We already have mac15 providing more avatars for himself than the rate of more intelligent thoughts of things to do that are inserted into his brain...and then you have the master dukestreet.

I wonder if anyone else could step up to the plate and do an avatar thing.

BTW, anybody like mine? Really, it's no surprise. I did say motion avatar, but I couldn't find what I wanted. Besides, I decided to keep it simple.

Reference site: http://www.mysteriouswolf.com/angelmists/cobra.html

I did not create it myself.
__________________

Fear the King.

Ensign Paris
May 24, 2002, 08:11 AM
Its Ok, I should get the time this weekend to do something, I have a kick ass idea but I am just to busy :)

I like ur avatar Cobra!

Ensign

jelloshotsrule
May 24, 2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by britboy
Whilst the mood is one of honesty... the original image for my tar i found on the net. The animation is mine though :)

If anyone does find it annoying though, just let me know. I promise not to break down and be inconsolable for all of... oh, about 5 seconds :p

no, it's pretty subtle. i mean, subtle enough that when you're not looking at it it doesn't really catch your eye or anything.... it's quite nice.

until yesterday i had never noticed the eye blink. nice touch. (now i sound like duke, critiquing avatars. ha)

Mr. Anderson
May 24, 2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra

BTW, anybody like mine? Really, it's no surprise. I did say motion avatar, but I couldn't find what I wanted. Besides, I decided to keep it simple.


Its really nice, goes with your member name. You could easily have an animated red tongue cyclic animation, would add a subtle touch, sort of like beej's smoke.

King Cobra
May 24, 2002, 09:52 AM
I do not think that I will be making an animated tongue for a while, since I probably will not a whole lot of room on the avatar and because I am not too focused on animated software. If the avatar limits extend to 75x75 I might do something about. But, for now, I am happy with the 50x50.
__________________

Fear the King.

Beej
May 24, 2002, 09:58 AM
mac15 - every time I see the Australian flag I want to burst out into Advance Australia fair. Between your 'tar and the whopping great Australian flag on the wall of my room, I can't stop singing it! :D

...I just can't get it out of my head...
(Another great Australian song ;))

Mr. Anderson
May 24, 2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by mac15
the one I have now and the one I made for ambitiouslemon are mine....I did them...I kept changing so often so people would recognise em

I meant to ask before. How did you make the flag animate? I would be really impressed if you did that by hand, it would be much easier to set it up on a 3D animation software to get the correct surface distortion seen by the waving. And the mask is a nice touch, but its even better and much more technically challenging in having it a transparent tar. Nice!:D

Ensign Paris
May 24, 2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Beej
...I just can't get it out of my head...
(Another great Australian song ;))

Please tell me that you do not think that song is good? I am scared for you if you do, Kylie is probably the most annoying thing to ever come into England (not including Tony Blair, who spends most of his time out of England and Bill Gates who comes in for his weekly bumming sessions with Blair)

Ensign

mac15
May 24, 2002, 08:32 PM
thanks duke
It was made in illustrator/photoshop/imageready....I found a map of australia thats where I got the shape from and I used illustator to get the wave effect
I like it alot

King Cobra
May 24, 2002, 08:35 PM
I'm kind of glad this came back up top, since I have a few reports:

FYI, I have slightly readjusted my avatar so that there is a black frame.

The real problem now would be mymemory's new avatar. If you have time to check it out, you will be very unhappily offended. (Hint: I am only referring to Mac users... :( )

He seems to speak very strongly about his world of computers...what are we going to do?
__________________

Fear the King.

mac15
May 24, 2002, 08:40 PM
let him go
It's whatever he wants...I know most don't like it but it's his avatar and his alone so nobody should bad mouth it

Rower_CPU
May 24, 2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
...The real problem now would be mymemory's new avatar. If you have time to check it out, you will be very unhappily offended. (Hint: I am only referring to Mac users... :( )

He seems to speak very strongly about his world of computers...what are we going to do?

Actually, it's just a confusing 'tar.

It says "The Problem"..."PC"..."The Solution"..."Apple logo".

But if you look at it the wrong way, it looks like it says Apple's the problem.:rolleyes:

King Cobra
May 24, 2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


Actually, it's just a confusing 'tar.

It says "The Problem"..."PC"..."The Solution"..."Apple logo".

But if you look at it the wrong way, it looks like it says Apple's the problem.:rolleyes:

Well, that clears up that mess...I am sure mymemory would not mean it that way.

I guess his avatar looks alright. The Apple logo in it looks the most prominent.
__________________

Fear the King.

Mr. Anderson
May 24, 2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by mac15
thanks duke
It was made in illustrator/photoshop/imageready....I found a map of australia thats where I got the shape from and I used illustator to get the wave effect
I like it alot

What filter did you use in illustrator to get the distortion for the flag? I haven't ever seen that one and it would be quite useful.

D

mac15
May 24, 2002, 11:46 PM
selction invidual parts of the flag that you want to distort
and then use the warp/flag to distort it
it's kinda tricky but you should get it done easy

Beej
May 25, 2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by mac15
selction invidual parts of the flag that you want to distort
and then use the warp/flag to distort it
it's kinda tricky but you should get it done easy Heh cool... I've never even thought of doing that! I would have turned to the flag-waving-goodieness of OpenGL for a project like that.