Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hey guys - Whenever I add a TV show episode into iTunes, I like to add the episode's description into the "Comments" box so I know which one is which. I usually just copy and paste the Wikipedia description, since they're pretty good and that way they're all relatively the same. However, I've run into a few that are a bit too long, and end up getting cut off in the Comments column. I've noticed that in the View Options window, there's an option to view a Description column, so I'm thinking of just adding my show descriptions in there in the hopes that it'll allow for more text - I just can't figure out how to type something in there! I don't see anywhere in the Get Info window to add a description. Do any of you know how to do this, or is there a way I can just get all of my text into the Comments field?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
You have to use another editor to edit the description tags. I use Lostify. It integrates with iTunes and I can just click an icon at the top of iTunes and it opens the file in Lostify. I then save the file and it saves the edited file in iTunes.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
You have to use another editor to edit the description tags. I use Lostify. It integrates with iTunes and I can just click an icon at the top of iTunes and it opens the file in Lostify. I then save the file and it saves the edited file in iTunes.

Oh, so will that allow me to enter more text into the field or to use the Descriptions section, or both??

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Download MetaX, great program for coding your TV shows! (That is if you're using OS X) Allows you add Album Art, Descriptions, pretty much anything you need.

I tried that and it's not so bad, although it keeps quitting on me. :confused: Also, in order to view the descriptions you have to click on the little "i," but I'd like to just be able to see them all together in the main iTunes window, if that's possible!

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Oh, so will that allow me to enter more text into the field or to use the Descriptions section, or both??

It will allow you to edit all the fields that are editable with movie and TV show files. You can even edit protected files in iTunes. I purchased several shows in iTunes that had words edited by using ***. I was able to change the titles and descriptions so that they show the real word. Lostify is a great app.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
It will allow you to edit all the fields that are editable with movie and TV show files. You can even edit protected files in iTunes. I purchased several shows in iTunes that had words edited by using ***. I was able to change the titles and descriptions so that they show the real word. Lostify is a great app.

Yeah, Lostify is pretty cool, and I really like how simple it is - only problem is that my descriptions and comments still get cut off at the end! ehhh..

EDIT: Looks like the same people who made Lostify make an apple script that allows you to enter more than 256 characters in the Description field, called Metafreshen, which would solve my problem! I've just never used apple scripts before... so, how would I go about installing that?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Yeah, Lostify is pretty cool, and I really like how simple it is - only problem is that my descriptions and comments still get cut off at the end! ehhh..
You mean in iTunes? Yeah you have to lengthen that section so that you can read the whole description which means having to side scroll. You know you can adjust the length of the description field by dragging the bar at the top? You just place your mouse at the end of the bar and drag it to the right. This allows you to read more of the description.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
You mean in iTunes? Yeah you have to lengthen that section so that you can read the whole description which means having to side scroll. You know you can adjust the length of the description field by dragging the bar at the top? You just place your mouse at the end of the bar and drag it to the right. This allows you to read more of the description.

Oh yeah, I already did that. It'll expand as far as I want it to, but only a certain amount of letters are allowed in the field, even if the column is expanded farther than the text. I think it's just that iTunes will only let you enter so many characters, so I guess what I'm looking for is some way to change that...

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hmm...all of these suggestions are great since I didn't even know any of them existed, and I've tried and liked them all! Since I guess it's pretty much impossible to view more than 255 characters in the iTunes "descriptions" or "comments" fields, I guess I'll just have to put the first part of the description in the "comments" and let it get cut off, just so I get an idea of which episode is which, and then click on the little "i" button to view more - not what I was looking for, but not really much of a problem either! :p I do hope a future version of iTunes will let us add more text, though!!

I also like how some of those apps let you put in things that I never could do/thought of doing in iTunes, like original air date and the like. Not like I need all that info in there... it just looks so good! :D

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Hmm...all of these suggestions are great since I didn't even know any of them existed, and I've tried and liked them all! Since I guess it's pretty much impossible to view more than 255 characters in the iTunes "descriptions" or "comments" fields, I guess I'll just have to put the first part of the description in the "comments" and let it get cut off, just so I get an idea of which episode is which, and then click on the little "i" button to view more - not what I was looking for, but not really much of a problem either! :p I do hope a future version of iTunes will let us add more text, though!!

I also like how some of those apps let you put in things that I never could do/thought of doing in iTunes, like original air date and the like. Not like I need all that info in there... it just looks so good! :D
I personally like having the dates that the show originally aired in each show. Not only does it let you know what time period it was in but it lets me remember the period in general and what events were happening back then. Some good times.

Hope you all enjoy the nice things you can do with all these editing scripts. Have a great night. :)

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I personally like having the dates that the show originally aired in each show. Not only does it let you know what time period it was in but it lets me remember the period in general and what events were happening back then. Some good times.

Hope you all enjoy the nice things you can do with all these editing scripts. Have a great night. :)

Yeah, it is cool to have all that information right there, and it makes it that much more organized! Thanks everybody for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.