PDA

View Full Version : Video games on mac

Smgkw
Aug 18, 2008, 04:40 PM
I just got a new MBP n im very very happy about it, but i realized yesterday that i can not install any games on my mac... I tried comand and conquer and age of empires, n im downloading Crysis( n worried it my not work too). I jus get a "this program can not be run in MS dos mode" is ther somthing i must install or are all these games for Windows only? Thank you all for your help.

TEG
Aug 18, 2008, 04:43 PM
To play those games in OS X you must purchase the Mac Versions of those games. Those that don't have Mac versions must be used in Windows either in BootCamp, Fusion, or Parallels.

TEG

Smgkw
Aug 18, 2008, 05:06 PM
i have boot camp its not that great cus i gotta restart my computer everytime i wana switch but they say the others are too heavy on the laptop n so it becomes slow

eXan
Aug 18, 2008, 05:32 PM
I just got a new MBP n im very very happy about it, but i realized yesterday that i can not install any games on my mac... I tried comand and conquer and age of empires, n im downloading Crysis( n worried it my not work too). I jus get a "this program can not be run in MS dos mode" is ther somthing i must install or are all these games for Windows only? Thank you all for your help.

Just like any other software, games are written to be run on a specific operating system. To run games for Windows you need to run them in Windows, etc. The best option is dual-booting with Boot Camp, but if you don't want to reboot every time to play a game (like me), try CrossOver Games. It allows you to run a game from within OS X without the need for Windows installed. The drawback is that it doesn't support many games and they can be a bit buggy...

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ They have the list of games in their Compatibility Center - check it out to see if your games are supported.

Smgkw
Aug 18, 2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks a lot, that really helps