Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I have seen a few people 'round here playin' this and was just wondering what everyone thinks of it.

Personally, having never played the NES version, I love it. Sure the lack of a jump button was kind of 'huh?!' for the first bit but the swinging mechanic works so well that it's a non-issue.

The music is really really good, I love the techno-ish feel of it while still being very NES like (and a lot like the original after I have listened to it a bit) as are the graphics. I'm not really that crazy about the neon-80's colours but I see how they wanted to remain faithful to the original.

For only $10 it's a steal ($15 for Jack Axe since 'console tards' pay $5 less) and the challenge rooms provide some extra length though I'm not sure how long it is since I've done a little under half the levels by the looks of it.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I'm very pliable, I repeat what I hear, especially when the guy's voice reminds me of the narrator from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show :)

$5 more, blah. Capcom really annoyed some of us with that extra cost, then later they made up an appeasement offering I guess -- not sure if it's worth it.

I'm going to buy this game, but first I need a new gamepad. :eek: *grumbles* All I have is an old USB pad that lacks analog sticks.

I'll probably need one for Age of Booty also. *double grumbles*

I was going to get one for DMC4 anyways. The demo of this game runs great, even maxed out with THE graphiXs, so I have complete confidence in Capcom's recent PC efforts.

If I beat this game in a day, I'll be annoyed.

<]=)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Never saw what was so great about the BC gameplay and something is really throwing me off about the art direction (too much overlaying blur? no sky detail?). Might get it if it drops in price but for now I'll play the ol waiting game.

Definitely no $15 purchase!

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I don't like the direction at all to be honest, but overall feedback has been really good about its gameplay, so I'll buy.

If DMC4 had ran like some of the other console + PC games, I wouldn't even consider BC:R. Not really a fan of this game, but had to try it.

What I don't like personally about this game's visuals, is that everything is too polished, it needs character, more roughens around the edges -- literally. It has kind of a generic overtone, but with TeH GRaFX for added eyecrack!

<]=)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I liked the BC on the NES but not having a jump button kinda throw me off the game. I haven't played rearmed as yet but I reviews says it still doesn't have a jump button....awww nostalgia.

Bless

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Bought it. Love it.

The multiplayer is pretty sweet, both the deathmatches and the co-op. The challenge rooms get pretty difficult too!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
:p OST's make up most of my iTunes library. Brawl, Galaxy, Turrican, Lemmings. S'all good stuff.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Anyone else find the 1st and 2nd Platoon boss fights pathetic?

Go up to the higher platform.
Swing to the next one.
Throw grenade.
Done.

Too easy! And there are two of them :eek:.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
If anyone has not played this game Co-Op, you are missing out!

They retooled at least all the Boss fights to require both players cooperation to defeat them.

It's a great example of how to do co-op well!

Now there implementation of screen splitting, while cool at first, can be annoying during the transitions. If they could handle those transitions better, it would be perfect.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Anyone else find the 1st and 2nd Platoon boss fights pathetic?

This is kind of a de rigeur component of the true late 80s / early 90s platform game....

Loved the original BC. Got the GBA one, but... grrr, bad cart, and it kept crashing at one of the levels midway through the game.

This seems like a gimme game for the DS Lite... I wish they'd release it.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
If anyone has not played this game Co-Op, you are missing out!

They retooled at least all the Boss fights to require both players cooperation to defeat them.

It's a great example of how to do co-op well!

Now there implementation of screen splitting, while cool at first, can be annoying during the transitions. If they could handle those transitions better, it would be perfect.

I spent a few hours and got to the final level with a friend. The split screen does get annoying, but it's fine. And it's cool how they do require two people. I just still wish it was drop-in drop-out so I could still play that file without anyone.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Errrrr..... at my speed. Maybe it took 4-6 hours. But I have no clue. Didn't really keep track of the time. There are tons of fun challenge rooms too ;).

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
How long does the game take to beat co-op? I'm still trying to justify the extra $5 bucks Capcom is sticking me with. (o_O)

<]=)

I don't know, I'm sure it depends on the difficulty. I haven't had time to go back and play it all the way through.

I think we beat around 4 bosses and 2-3 hours. I'm not quite sure, but I don't think we were even half way finished.

We were obviously noobs, though, we tried the hardest setting and had to tone it down, we were getting our butts kicked. :p

Neither of us had ever played the original BC, though.

dubs

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
This game is a blast, but the d-pad on the 360 controller sucks so much for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.