Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedevils

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/08/20/online.securitytips/index.html

5. Thinking your Mac shields you from all risks

Yes, Macs are much less susceptible to viruses and spyware than PCs. But surveys show that may breed a false sense of security among Mac owners, who still fall prey to phishing scams at about the same rate as Windows users.

Until Apple beefs up Safari, Fox recommends using another browser with phishing protection, such as the latest version of Firefox

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Lol.

Sure.

Ill buy that for $1!

Falling for phishing and all that crap can be done through snail mail and the telephone. Just because its a mac people believe that negates those? Seriously?

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
That's very true. I don't know how many times FireFox has caught phishing for me. I would have never even thought about it. Apple needs to put it back into Safari.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I use Safari BECAUSE it doesn't have that built in phishing garbage. I don't need my computer to babysit me :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Common sense = the real app against phising. Even my dearest mother who knows bugger all about anything other than browsing the internet knows what to avoid.

Also this reminds me that I really hate CNN and it's a crying shame it's the only english speaking channel I can get in our place abroad :mad:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Common sense = the real app against phising. Even my dearest mother who knows bugger all about anything other than browsing the internet knows what to avoid.

Also this reminds me that I really hate CNN and it's a crying shame it's the only english speaking channel I can get in our place abroad :mad:

but grateful you don't get Fox News

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
They stole this list from a recent Consumer Reports article...

And like someone pointed out, if Mac users fall prey to phishing at the same rate as Windows users do and the Windows users have anti-phishing tools, and the Mac doesn't, doesn't that say that the anti-phising tools that the Windows people are using don't really work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.