PDA

View Full Version : When to Sell Dual 2.0 G5 for Mac Pro?




Emsly
Aug 20, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone -

Here's my situation. I'm one of the many (it seems) people who are unsure whether to wait for the new Nehalem Mac Pros, or to go ahead and make the jump now. Currently, I'm leaning towards waiting for the update since my system is working OK for me and I'd like my next purchase to last as long as possible - I know, ha ha. Even with the drop for PPC support, realistically I probably could hold off to the middle of 2009 (depending when everything begins to switch, of course).

However, there are some reasons why it might be "better" for me to make the jump now. To start, here are the basics of my current system:

Dual 2GHz G5 (1st Gen; 2003) - its worked fab. with no problems
4 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Running 10.5.4

Now, the reason that I'm considering updating earlier than may be technically "necessary" is that, for one, I will have an educational discount that will end in December - so around 10% or, say, $300 or so (not counting any new software discount I can get). Secondly, from what I've read (and gathered), the amount of cash I could get for my current system will drop substantially once support for PPC ends.

So, by my relatively casual estimation, currently a new Mac Pro that I might purchase now could be offset by approx. $800 or so (at least), while if I wait for Nehalem, or even sometime later in 2009, $300 is gone for sure, and probably a lot of the remainder as well.

I suppose I have a couple questions. First, and most obvious, do people think the savings I might have on the current Mac Pro justifies making the jump pre-Nehalem? Secondly, if I 'give up' the educational discount (around $300) in favor of Nehalem, will my current system be worth anything at all at that point?

I hope this makes sense; there were several threads somewhat close to this, but I am still unsure cause of the cash issue...

(Just to add since it may save someone the question: I run CS2 fairly heavily, some Poser, like to have lots of apps. open, yadda ya :) )



Umbongo
Aug 20, 2008, 02:55 PM
I have two things to comment on. First is that depending on the source of your educational discount it may not just expire at the end of december as you assume and that Apple will happily let you use it for a period after that. Secondly it is possible G5 prices will not drop that much. I mean look at how high they still are now 3 years after the last one came out.

Personally I'd wait as Nehalem is such a big step, I know I'd end up regretting it. Also look it to issues about CS2 on Intel, you may need to think about an upgrade license.

ThirteenXIII
Aug 20, 2008, 02:58 PM
Well I think you covered one key aspect; in that will it be worth anything in the next year, because lets just assume they dont get released until Mid-2009 as there isnt an official word as of yet what/when etc.
Especially with G5's value continue to change every so often.

So it might be best for you to get the best bang for your buck for the G5 now, get the MP model to transition yourself into the next generation whenever that will come.
Since these current gen MP's should hold their value roughly high and be definitely invested towards the future.


CS2 still runs predominant on my MP and works fine, maybe not to "full potential" but i really dont see a huge difference (as im too busy working to even notice any sort of difference)

nick9191
Aug 20, 2008, 02:58 PM
The money you will lose on the G5 should easily be regained on the extra speed and more features of the Nehalem Mac Pro ;)

Toronto Mike
Aug 20, 2008, 09:21 PM
The biggest consideration for me would be the savings on the education version of the software - depending on when you still qualify. I know when I qualified for the education version of CS2 - the difference on that one package alone was $1,100. And that is just one series of programs. Buy a few more large programs with education discounts and that could add up.

To me, the cost of software/and its current relavence, must always be factored into any purchase decision. I deliberately upgraded from a G4 to a dual 2.0 G5 over the issue of the software I already owned. To have purchased an Intel Mac Pro would have been a higher hardware purchase price, plus a whole new set of software upgrades for increases in performance that wasn't noticable in my case for my needs.

I think what you might lose in additional depreciation of your G5 will be small compared to losing your education discount status for hardware/software if you wait for the next generation. However, the additional performance of the next generation might override this for you anyways and you just have to bite the bullet.

Mike

disconap
Aug 20, 2008, 10:12 PM
I agree with Mike. I'm in the same boat but decided to wait for as long as I can, as currently CS2 is still pretty standard in the print and publishing world (where most of my contract jobs come from), so I decided to wait until CS4 and upgrade everything at once (since current rumors have CS4 not supported at all on PPC, and there are even rumors it will be built for Snow Leopard, also currently planed to not be supported on PPC).

Emsly
Aug 21, 2008, 09:27 PM
The point about the software is a very good one - especially when it comes to Adobe because the discounts are so substantial. However, I can always purchase the software with the edu. discount before I get a new system - a jump from CS2 to the latest CS3 would still be a decent one, even if CS4 comes out in the beginning of the year (from what I've heard/read, it may be something to 'skip' until CS5).

I think I'm leaning toward waiting - at least until closer to the time my edu. discount ends. Perhaps there will be more news then, and I can better gauge the real cost comparisons, etc. I'm also assuming the cost of the current MP will drop towards the Holidays and the end of the cycle as well - more potential savings...

Thanks for helping me think it out everyone!

Umbongo
Aug 22, 2008, 04:50 AM
I'm also assuming the cost of the current MP will drop towards the Holidays and the end of the cycle as well - more potential savings...

Apple don't lower prices like that, they will remain at their current price until new systems are available.