Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lunchmeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Hi Folks,
I've been hearing about Apple making an announcment in September about the new line of iPods, and possible price reductions. Somewhere I heard the announcment will be September 4th. Anybody else here when the announcent will be?
Thak you,
Lunchmeat

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
1. He was purposely sending around that date (Sept. 5) as a sick joke to see what people would say. That's the date of the event last year. There will be no event on September 4th this year.

2. We know nothing.

3. September 16th is the earliest that the iPod refresh would be if it were to coincide with the notebook refresh, as the Back-to-School promo ends on September 15th.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
3. September 16th is the earliest that the iPod refresh would be if it were to coincide with the notebook refresh, as the Back-to-School promo ends on September 15th.

This I wouldn't be so sure about. Apple has previously refreshed product lines during the promotion, and there's no reason they couldn't do so again (although the new models in the past have not been elegible for the promotion).

That being said, I recall the latest rumors saying something about mid-to-late September, although before that there was another rumor about it being earlier in the month. But, of course, nobody but Apple really knows, and they're not saying anything.

In any case, nearly everybody expects some sort of MacBook and iPod family updates sometime in September, especially with Apple's tendency to do the Back-to-School promotion and then update their products. :D

hairbratdanni

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
so i should wait??? sorry im new and i was just about to buy an itouch for $379.99 at circuit city today but i decided to do research and now im torn. i really want it now but i dont want to have paid an extra $100 {i have a minimum wage job :( lol} so should i buy one in September when they drop prices (possibly) OR should i wait to december for black friday, christmas sales, etc. to get the lower price + less?

hope this makes sense lol

Funplex

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
so i should wait??? sorry im new and i was just about to buy an itouch for $379.99 at circuit city today but i decided to do research and now im torn. i really want it now but i dont want to have paid an extra $100 {i have a minimum wage job :( lol} so should i buy one in September when they drop prices (possibly) OR should i wait to december for black friday, christmas sales, etc. to get the lower price + less?

hope this makes sense lol

I've never heard of an iTouch.

Honestly, if you're aiming to buy an iPod Touch, save your money and wait for the Sept. announcement. I cant imagine the iPod Touch price going up, as they usually replace the older iPods instead of add a variation to the line (in example-- the classic replaced the Video, and the new nano replaced the original nano). Technology gets cheaper and the prices usually stay around the same.

It's gonna be worth the wait.

hairbratdanni

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008

Honestly, if you're aiming to buy an iPod Touch, save your money and wait for the Sept. announcement. I cant imagine the iPod Touch price going up, as they usually replace the older iPods instead of add a variation to the line (in example-- the classic replaced the Video, and the new nano replaced the original nano). Technology gets cheaper and the prices usually stay around the same.

why does everyone get so weird about refering to it as an itouch? lol. to me its just a sort of abbr. like i call it an "itouch" and i call an ipod a "pod" and my cellphone my cell. its not called a "cell" but its a shorter way of saying it. if i started talking to someome about my "touch" they would be like WTF?? but if i said "itouch", they would know it was an ipod touch :eek:

sorry to offend anyone by calling it an itouch lol

but thanx i will wait. i wonder when they will announce the new stuff. i hope a 16g one will be like $299......

Master Debater

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008

i hope so. i've been waiting for a while.

also: itouch itouch itouch :D

ShaneR

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Get used to it hairbratdanni...there are way to many 'elitist' on here with severe superiority complexes that will find any miniscule thing to criticize you about until they turn blue in the face..

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Mine is a Touch. We also have a Nano. In this forum everyone assumes I'm taking about media players from Apple. My wife is an ophthalmologist. Her media player is an Eye Touch. :D

As for September releases I'm out of cash. I'll be interested if they start giving them away.

bowlofjokes

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
I'm very interested in the ipod touch.
I've never seen one. Are they built solid?

I started looking at them when my wife said I should have a palm pilot organizer.
will this allow me to do all that stuff sync'd to my windows machine?

Sorry for the very noob type questions.
I sincerely thank anyone who educate me further than the apple video.
That's quite a price for a student.

Funplex

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
because its an iPod Touch and not an iTouch as you can see it's not hard to mix them both up

And seriously, if typing out "ipod touch" is too hard, just say it's a touch. Works the same as saying an ipod nano is a 'nano'.

Looking at the photo of the itouch you linked to though, I do wish Apple had made both back and white ipod touch's.

I'm very interested in the ipod touch.
I've never seen one. Are they built solid?

I started looking at them when my wife said I should have a palm pilot organizer.
will this allow me to do all that stuff sync'd to my windows machine?

Sorry for the very noob type questions.
I sincerely thank anyone who educate me further than the apple video.
That's quite a price for a student.

The iPod Touch is pretty handy. I had to save up for 7 months to get an 8 gig but man, it's so nice. I actually dont use it as an mp3 player, and I get more use out of the email, web, schedule book, alarm clock and pretty much everything that came with the update at the start of the year.

I recommend getting a case for it-- like the incase rubber sleeve. I've accidentally dropped my touch and it adds some safety and keeps it from being damaged too badly in a fall. If you go to an apple store and see them in action, you'll get a feel for how thin they are. As for Windows, it works fine with my computer-- like any other iPod. If memory serves, you can sync it to outlook and those other programs.

Naro

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
because its an iPod Touch and not an iTouch as you can see it's not hard to mix them both up

If we're on the subject it would be nice if you started capitalizing the first word in a sentence. The occasional period/comma would also be appreciated. Thanks.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
iTouch is a much easier way of saying iPod Touch. Get off your high horse man.

Unless you desperately need one, I'd hold off buying one until October-ish. If there are no updates, then probably get one.

But of course you can wait forever for an update.

If you really want one, buy it now.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
If you trust him (I'm 50/50 on him) Kevin Rose (DiggNation) claims the Nano gets redesigned, and the Touch gets minor cosmetic changes. If all he's going on is photos of new prototypes, there could still be significant internal additions to the Touch. Time (as always) will tell.

Browzilla

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
At the very least we'll probably get a price drop and/or capacity bump come September. Perhaps drop the 8GB and move the 16GB to $299. Something like that happening is fairly likely, I think.

Also possible is that the Touch gains some awesome features, though I doubt it. There've been rumors floating around though about a speaker, 3G, iPod Touch Nano. But I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Rtb1

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
san diego
why does everyone get so weird about refering to it as an itouch? lol. to me its just a sort of abbr. like i call it an "itouch" and i call an ipod a "pod" and my cellphone my cell. its not called a "cell" but its a shorter way of saying it. if i started talking to someome about my "touch" they would be like WTF?? but if i said "itouch", they would know it was an ipod touch :eek:.

because this site is full of losers, they are the same people that get pleasure from correcting others' grammar and sentence structure.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
If we're on the subject it would be nice if you started capitalizing the first word in a sentence. The occasional period/comma would also be appreciated. Thanks.

if your referring to me saying iPod instead of Ipod well you will have to take it up with apple cause thats how they have iPod in their site

showcase_appstore20080711.jpg

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
I could see more of a reason for a major rice drop than just to make it so the iphone doesn't steal from the ipod touch. A major reason being that the ipod touch can also be thought of as a gateway drug to the iphone for those who don't nee to get a new phone or can't get the service yet.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
If you trust him (I'm 50/50 on him) Kevin Rose (DiggNation) claims the Nano gets redesigned, and the Touch gets minor cosmetic changes. If all he's going on is photos of new prototypes, there could still be significant internal additions to the Touch. Time (as always) will tell.

Is it just me, or is that "leaked" Nano design absolutely woeful?

It looks like a step backwards for Apple. In fact, it looks like a remote control from an early 1990s VCR - the ones with an overly-complicated LCD.

If Rose is right, then the Touch is only in for comsmetic changes (as I've been predicting all along), such as a case change, and possibly a memory upgrade - all of which makes sense, since changing the UI of the Touch (or the screen size etc.) would impact on fundamentals like the the App Store, the form-factor of the iPhone etc.

However, I do reckon there will be some software changes/additions for the Touch (the rumoured 2.1) - not quite sure what they'll be, as any changes to the Touch would normally be made to the iPhone at the same time, so whatever they are, they're possibly "Touch-only" features designed to encourage more takeup of the Touch range. Possibly more PDA-like features (maybe document editing and file storage?).

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Is it just me, or is that "leaked" Nano design absolutely woeful?

If you're talking about the long green one with the sideways screen, that isn't a leaked one at all, that was a mere mockup made as a visual for a news article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.