Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple is webcasting their Qtr 1 - 2004 Financial Results Conference Call on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 2:00pm PT/5:00pm ET.

As always...

Please note that comments made during this call may include forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from these forward-looking statements. For more information on the factors that could influence results, please refer to Apple’s SEC filings.

One analyst feels that Apple could beat the expectations due to the strong demand for the iPod and iBook products in December.

Last year's Apple's 1st Quarter results were a net loss of $8 million.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Originally posted by Counterfit
But how can they broadcast financial results of Q1 2004 when it just started? :D

That's because Apple's fiscal quarter begins in Oct. (Oct-Dec.) That's why Q1 2004 results are being announced Jan. 14.

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
wow, I forgot that such a short time ago Apple was still announcing quarterly losses. I hope they can continue the trend despite of MacWorld's meager announcements. Christmas iPod sales should definitely help, but I wonder if the classic iPod market will be saturated at some point, and doubt the mini can take over in terms of sales.

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
The stock has been on the rise since Monday, Jan. 5th. Last time (4th quarter financial results) the same thing happened and then after Apple made their announcement, the stock dropped back off. People taking short term gains I guess. I don't know that much about the stock market.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Rico17i
Just when you think Apple stock is going to rise some PC stock will underperform and the analysts will apply that to their rating for Apple. :(

Yeah, too many analysts just don't understand that you can't simply group Apple with the other PC makers. Apple is a different animal.

jero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2003
yeah most if not all companies qtr 1 begins in oct/nov.

i love how mac fanatics care so much about a company to listen in on their qrt 1 financial reports. whenever my company does this, i dont even bother listening. i work at hp btw. next time maybe i will, they might mention something about apple.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Freg3000
Yeah, too many analysts just don't understand that you can't simply group Apple with the other PC makers. Apple is a different animal.

Then screw the analysts and think/act for yourself. Different even...;)

joesporleder

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas
speaking of iBooks

Has anyone noticed that the 900mhz G3 iBooks seem to have a quality control problem with main logic board failing, etc.? I'm sending mine in for the 2nd time...good thing I got the extended AppleCare warranty...however I haven't passed the 1 year warranty mark yet! I hope the G4 iBooks have better luck! Has anyone heard how the 12" PowerBook is doing in the quality control/reliability area?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I'll wait for the analysis after the broadcast. I doubt we'll hear anything new besides Steve hinting a few things as always.

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
aS LONG AS aPPLE REMAINS IN THE BLACK, i DO NOT CARE ABOUT its stock price. The deal with HP is big and should be good for apple's health and free up resources for more R and D. I have not felt this optimistic about Apple in a long time.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by FightTheFuture
i wish i could pick up some apple stock. here's hoping that the demand for ipods and G5s in december were overwhelming!

I have quite a bit of Apple stock. Past history suggests selling now as it will go down no matter what they announce. As most of it was bought under $14, I'm holding.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I'm interested to see what the results will be like, especially after the Holiday sales, and huge demand for the iPod.

The announcement with HP should also continue to help Apple's stock price go up. Currently, I don't own any though.

mathematician

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
If only George Bush wouldn't generate such a huge deficit...

If only George Bush wouldn't generate such a huge deficit, then the Euro wouldn't ruin my AAPL Stock gains.

(Note: APPL goes up, but for an Euro investor $ goes down).
;)

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
The analyst is Steve Fortuna. Fortuna has not exactly been a genius re: AAPL in the past. In fact, he's been dead wrong about shipping numbers, etc.

Fortuna has been talking about an Apple set-top box since 2000, if not earlier.

The man has no special insight, just a big paycheck.

fesdds

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2003
Dallas
Re: speaking of iBooks

Originally posted by joesporleder
Has anyone noticed that the 900mhz G3 iBooks seem to have a quality control problem with main logic board failing, etc.? I'm sending mine in for the 2nd time...good thing I got the extended AppleCare warranty...however I haven't passed the 1 year warranty mark yet! I hope the G4 iBooks have better luck! Has anyone heard how the 12" PowerBook is doing in the quality control/reliability area?

I have a 800mhz G3 iBook and have had to send it in 3 times for the logic board failing in the first 13 months. Love macs, my iMacs have always worked great as well as my friends' and in-laws'.

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Re: Clueless in stock market LOL

Originally posted by autrefois
It looks like they're predicting a VERY small profit for Apple. According to the article...

That's what I call a precise prediction! :)

I assume it means per share?

Heh, yeah it's per share, and means a profit of about $50 million, according to quick calculation :)

Gyroscope

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2002
Well its been a quarter of:
-excellent iPod sales
-very good PB & iBook Sales
-solid/good PM sales
-where iMacs picked up quite bit in November/December
-Panther (profit margins)

I say earnings maybe just above 2 bil
profit 75-100 mil

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by gotohamish
Then screw the analysts and think/act for yourself. Different even...;)

Indeed. Normally I don't believe in market timing, but it often seems to work with Apple, for example when the silly rumors about them buying Universal dropped their stock price to under $14.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm going to be interested in knowing the results but then the eternal question will remain. What COULD results have been if Moto hadn't once again screw over Apple with their delays with new G4s. It's ALMOST a forgone conclusion that that was the core reason for the PowerBook delays last year.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
The stock has been on the rise since Monday, Jan. 5th. Last time (4th quarter financial results) the same thing happened and then after Apple made their announcement, the stock dropped back off. People taking short term gains I guess. I don't know that much about the stock market.
Buy low, sell high?

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Here is my advice:
Never buy APPL shares the reason is:
- Apple never gave dividend
- Apple doesnt buy back stock to increase its value
- Apple either invest the profit in R&D or bonds or gives it to Steve Jobs

Apple doesnt reward its investor and that fact alone is a reason to stay away from it.

On the other hand, there is a lot of hype around Apple right now which is why the stock has increased in value. So if you are investing for the short term, its good. Sell your stock (now or after the presentation) and cash in the profit.

There is no reason to hold this stock for years, a 2% bonb would have given more benefits.

Apples stock could increase to maybe 3 to 5 times its current value if it did this:

- stop giving stock option to Steve Jobs (costed over 100M last year)
- buy back stock or give dividends

And to give some weight to my words, I have never lost money on the stock market, beated the index every year (since I started about 5 years ago) and made 25% return last year alone. So I know my stuff...

Investing in Apple con also be done for other reason: for principle, to look cool (look at the number of mutual fund manager and analyst that talk about it) or as a gift to a mac addict. All these reason are 'ok', but you wont make money with Apple.

On the other hand, I would be very happy to be wrong...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.