PDA

View Full Version : Apple Q1 Financial Results Webcast

MacRumors
Jan 11, 2004, 02:38 AM
Apple is webcasting (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq104/) their Qtr 1 - 2004 Financial Results Conference Call on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 2:00pm PT/5:00pm ET.

As always...

Please note that comments made during this call may include forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from these forward-looking statements. For more information on the factors that could influence results, please refer to Apple’s SEC filings.

One analyst feels (http://www.wtev.com/business/story.aspx?content_id=6150355C-9DCB-445B-861D-E41EE6498B58) that Apple could beat the expectations due to the strong demand for the iPod and iBook products in December.

Last year's Apple's 1st Quarter results (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/01/20030115172604.shtml) were a net loss of $8 million.

Counterfit
Jan 11, 2004, 02:44 AM
But how can they broadcast financial results of Q1 2004 when it just started? :D

FightTheFuture
Jan 11, 2004, 02:44 AM
i wish i could pick up some apple stock. here's hoping that the demand for ipods and G5s in december were overwhelming!

sw1tcher
Jan 11, 2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Counterfit
But how can they broadcast financial results of Q1 2004 when it just started? :D

That's because Apple's fiscal quarter begins in Oct. (Oct-Dec.) That's why Q1 2004 results are being announced Jan. 14.

true777
Jan 11, 2004, 04:05 AM
wow, I forgot that such a short time ago Apple was still announcing quarterly losses. I hope they can continue the trend despite of MacWorld's meager announcements. Christmas iPod sales should definitely help, but I wonder if the classic iPod market will be saturated at some point, and doubt the mini can take over in terms of sales.

Rico17i
Jan 11, 2004, 04:47 AM
Just when you think Apple stock is going to rise some PC stock will underperform and the analysts will apply that to their rating for Apple. :(

Jerry Spoon
Jan 11, 2004, 07:36 AM
The stock has been on the rise since Monday, Jan. 5th. Last time (4th quarter financial results) the same thing happened and then after Apple made their announcement, the stock dropped back off. People taking short term gains I guess. I don't know that much about the stock market.

Freg3000
Jan 11, 2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Rico17i
Just when you think Apple stock is going to rise some PC stock will underperform and the analysts will apply that to their rating for Apple. :(

Yeah, too many analysts just don't understand that you can't simply group Apple with the other PC makers. Apple is a different animal.

jero
Jan 11, 2004, 09:33 AM
yeah most if not all companies qtr 1 begins in oct/nov.

i love how mac fanatics care so much about a company to listen in on their qrt 1 financial reports. whenever my company does this, i dont even bother listening. i work at hp btw. next time maybe i will, they might mention something about apple.

gotohamish
Jan 11, 2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Yeah, too many analysts just don't understand that you can't simply group Apple with the other PC makers. Apple is a different animal.

Then screw the analysts and think/act for yourself. Different even...;)

joesporleder
Jan 11, 2004, 10:22 AM
Has anyone noticed that the 900mhz G3 iBooks seem to have a quality control problem with main logic board failing, etc.? I'm sending mine in for the 2nd time...good thing I got the extended AppleCare warranty...however I haven't passed the 1 year warranty mark yet! I hope the G4 iBooks have better luck! Has anyone heard how the 12" PowerBook is doing in the quality control/reliability area?

applekid
Jan 11, 2004, 11:54 AM
I'll wait for the analysis after the broadcast. I doubt we'll hear anything new besides Steve hinting a few things as always.

jwhitnah
Jan 11, 2004, 01:59 PM
aS LONG AS aPPLE REMAINS IN THE BLACK, i DO NOT CARE ABOUT its stock price. The deal with HP is big and should be good for apple's health and free up resources for more R and D. I have not felt this optimistic about Apple in a long time.

rdowns
Jan 11, 2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by FightTheFuture
i wish i could pick up some apple stock. here's hoping that the demand for ipods and G5s in december were overwhelming!

I have quite a bit of Apple stock. Past history suggests selling now as it will go down no matter what they announce. As most of it was bought under $14, I'm holding.

MacFan25
Jan 11, 2004, 02:56 PM
I'm interested to see what the results will be like, especially after the Holiday sales, and huge demand for the iPod.

The announcement with HP should also continue to help Apple's stock price go up. Currently, I don't own any though.

mathematician
Jan 11, 2004, 03:27 PM
If only George Bush wouldn't generate such a huge deficit, then the Euro wouldn't ruin my AAPL Stock gains.

(Note: APPL goes up, but for an Euro investor $ goes down).
;)

FriarTuck
Jan 11, 2004, 04:03 PM
The analyst is Steve Fortuna. Fortuna has not exactly been a genius re: AAPL in the past. In fact, he's been dead wrong about shipping numbers, etc.

Fortuna has been talking about an Apple set-top box since 2000, if not earlier.

The man has no special insight, just a big paycheck.

autrefois
Jan 11, 2004, 04:31 PM
It looks like they're predicting a VERY small profit for Apple. According to the article...

Apple is expected to post a 14-cent profit in its fiscal first quarter.

That's what I call a precise prediction! :)

I assume it means per share?

fesdds
Jan 11, 2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by joesporleder
Has anyone noticed that the 900mhz G3 iBooks seem to have a quality control problem with main logic board failing, etc.? I'm sending mine in for the 2nd time...good thing I got the extended AppleCare warranty...however I haven't passed the 1 year warranty mark yet! I hope the G4 iBooks have better luck! Has anyone heard how the 12" PowerBook is doing in the quality control/reliability area?

I have a 800mhz G3 iBook and have had to send it in 3 times for the logic board failing in the first 13 months. Love macs, my iMacs have always worked great as well as my friends' and in-laws'.

richie
Jan 11, 2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by autrefois
It looks like they're predicting a VERY small profit for Apple. According to the article...

That's what I call a precise prediction! :)

I assume it means per share?

Heh, yeah it's per share, and means a profit of about $50 million, according to quick calculation :)

Gyroscope
Jan 11, 2004, 08:29 PM
Well its been a quarter of:
-excellent iPod sales
-very good PB & iBook Sales
-solid/good PM sales
-where iMacs picked up quite bit in November/December
-Panther (profit margins)

I say earnings maybe just above 2 bil
profit 75-100 mil

Jan 12, 2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by gotohamish
Then screw the analysts and think/act for yourself. Different even...;)

Indeed. Normally I don't believe in market timing, but it often seems to work with Apple, for example when the silly rumors about them buying Universal dropped their stock price to under $14.

SiliconAddict
Jan 12, 2004, 04:29 AM
I'm going to be interested in knowing the results but then the eternal question will remain. What COULD results have been if Moto hadn't once again screw over Apple with their delays with new G4s. It's ALMOST a forgone conclusion that that was the core reason for the PowerBook delays last year.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jan 12, 2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
The stock has been on the rise since Monday, Jan. 5th. Last time (4th quarter financial results) the same thing happened and then after Apple made their announcement, the stock dropped back off. People taking short term gains I guess. I don't know that much about the stock market.
Buy low, sell high?

Mantat
Jan 12, 2004, 10:48 AM
Here is my advice:
Never buy APPL shares the reason is:
- Apple never gave dividend
- Apple doesnt buy back stock to increase its value
- Apple either invest the profit in R&D or bonds or gives it to Steve Jobs

Apple doesnt reward its investor and that fact alone is a reason to stay away from it.

On the other hand, there is a lot of hype around Apple right now which is why the stock has increased in value. So if you are investing for the short term, its good. Sell your stock (now or after the presentation) and cash in the profit.

There is no reason to hold this stock for years, a 2% bonb would have given more benefits.

Apples stock could increase to maybe 3 to 5 times its current value if it did this:

- stop giving stock option to Steve Jobs (costed over 100M last year)
- buy back stock or give dividends

And to give some weight to my words, I have never lost money on the stock market, beated the index every year (since I started about 5 years ago) and made 25% return last year alone. So I know my stuff...

Investing in Apple con also be done for other reason: for principle, to look cool (look at the number of mutual fund manager and analyst that talk about it) or as a gift to a mac addict. All these reason are 'ok', but you wont make money with Apple.

On the other hand, I would be very happy to be wrong...

macshark
Jan 13, 2004, 11:57 AM
Shares of Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) were higher after Merrill Lynch reinstated coverage of the computer manufacturer with a "buy" rating and a price target of $29. Merrill Lynch said, "We think Apple has gotten its act together in focusing on core markets, building a mature management team and, most important, innovating again. People will pay more for Porsches, but they have to perform." Merrill Lynch set a 2004 earnings-per-share estimate of 42 cents. It projected that Apple's iPod and iTunes Music Store will account for only 9% of 2004 sales, but said that percentage should grow in later years. "We think iPod's leading position is defendable for perhaps two years and is important to Apple's 'cool' image," the research firm said. Apple, which closed Monday at $23.73, was up 90 cents at $24.63.

macshark
Jan 13, 2004, 12:04 PM
Thomas Weisel upgrades Apple Computer (AAPL) to Outperform from Peer Perform and raises their FY04-05 rev/EPS ests above consensus based on their expectations for accelerating revenue growth, expanding margins, and increasing EPS in 2004; firm expects a long-awaited upgrade cycle for the co as the "switcher" campaign finally pays dividends, says iPods could be a $1 bln biz by FY05, and sees potential upside in G5 for 3-4 qtrs; firm also says valuation is reasonable at 10.3x their CY04 est (using peak operating margins of 8%, stripping out cash).

aswitcher
Jan 14, 2004, 02:47 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts/quotes from the webcast?

Oops. 13 hours ahead of myself due to time-zone dyslexia. :eek:

macshark
Jan 14, 2004, 03:39 PM
CUPERTINO, Calif., Jan. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2004 first quarter ended December 27, 2003. For the quarter, the Company posted a net profit of $63 million, or $.17 per diluted share. These results compare to a net loss of $8 million, or $.02 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Revenue for the quarter reached a four-year high of $2.006 billion, up 36 percent from the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 26.7 percent, down from 27.6 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 44 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Mantat
Jan 14, 2004, 03:51 PM
Interesting results.

I just wonder how well they will do during the next quarter. They made a lot of money with all the people switching to the G5, now they will need people to switch from pc to mac to increase their revenu.

They have the momentum, Apple never had that much exposure and respect from the computer industry. I just hope Jobs stop talking about music for a moment and invest some energy into other sphere of computing: games (buy blizard!!!), push more the .mac product by increasing its integration with the rest of the iApps and market a cube replacement.

I think the road ahead is good, lets just hope Jobs doesnt want to take a shortcut!

Its switching time!!!

mproud
Jan 14, 2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Mantat
Interesting results.

I just wonder how well they will do during the next quarter. They made a lot of money with all the people switching to the G5, now they will need people to switch from pc to mac to increase their revenu.

<snip>

I just hope Jobs stop talking about music for a moment and invest some energy into other sphere of computing: games (buy blizard!!!), push more the .mac product by increasing its integration with the rest of the iApps and market a cube replacement.

<snip> You're kidding, right?

Mantat
Jan 15, 2004, 08:17 AM
Nope, I am not kidding...

First .Mac is pure profit for Apple. They just have to make it more usefull so more people pay for it... One way is to allow export from GB to the .mac account. Reducing the cost would also be a good idea...

As buying Blizard or any other established game company, it would allow them to have great game fast on the mac market which is of major importance if you want to fix the reputation of macs as not being good for games.

Cube replacement: I know at least 3 ppl who would buy a mac if it was in a cube form factor. G5 Powermac are too big / expensive for them and they already have a screen. So the cube is the only choice. I am personaly hunting for a old cube that I could upgrade.

Finaly, its a fact that most of the sales of G5 were to old mac users who were waiting for it. The percentage of switchers who got a G5 is very low (they usualy go for a laptop), they need to fix this or the G5 sales wont grow.

So now that I have explained every point in details, tell me where I am wrong... Oh, and please use facts!

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 15, 2004, 08:45 AM
3.2% marketshare need i say more? pretty hard to go lower. Apple has been doing somethings very wrong but at least they are still operating. Mantat gives one example.

Mantat
Jan 15, 2004, 09:58 AM
Market share? Do you even know what it means? its the % of computer SOLD not the number used. More than 3% of the population use macs.

Anyways, Apple is now in a very good position to increase it sales: good products, a lot of good press and people have a better opinion of macs. I think we could see a lot of sales this year if apple is aggressive in the consummer market.