PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Hard drive for Powerbook G4

Jaymax
Aug 20, 2008, 04:52 PM
Can someone advise some of good value/price etc as my original one is on its way out.
Many Thanks!
( The current, original one is a Toshiba Mk4025gas (37.26gb)
:)

windowpain
Aug 22, 2008, 07:48 AM
Basically I would get the biggest IDE drive you can afford.
Currently the biggest is 250GB. (edit : found this one http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/250-GB-5400-RPM-Western-Digital-ATA-Hard-Drive-New/IF107-052

i found this shop, (but I've never used them- don't live in the UK)
http://www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11154&NavigationKey=41610000&NavigationKey=47250000&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1

I would probably get the WD 160gb for ukp39.35.

I never seem to have much luck with Hitachi travelstars. had a few die on me. I usually buy WD, i find them quiet and reliable.

TarBuckI
Aug 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
I just upgraded my PB G4 1.25Ghz to a 160GB WD Scorpio. I got mine from OWC, don't know if you can from UK, but its a good company.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD1600BEVE/

Good price and quiet. I used Super Duper to create a bootable backup and followed direction on iFixit.com. Pretty easy.

Good Luck!

California
Aug 22, 2008, 08:57 PM
I have a 12" 1.5ghz powerbook and I was worried about speed.

Initially upgraded to a 100gb Hitachi Travelstar PATA of course, 7200 rpm.

But I was squeezing the space at about 75 gigs of available 93 gigs on the drive (w/apps.)

So I swapped for a 250gb WD with a five year warranty.

Tho it is a "slower" drive at 5400rpms, it is the biggest PATA drive they make for lappies and the larger size actually compensates for the 7200 rpm speed of the 100 gig drive it replaced.

I'd say it is exactly on par if miliseconds slower than the 100 gig drive and the space I gained is worth it.

You are maxed out on ram, right? Make sure of that and upgrade all the way to the 250 drive for speed concerns. I would not go to the 160gig drive as I am sure it is slower.

Resale will also be helped in a year or so when you want to sell and it is the most maxed machine you can have. (Unless you have a combo drive instead of a dvd burner... and I do NOT recommend swapping optical drives on these 12" powerbooks yourself. TOO MUCH can go wrong.)

Anyway, still loving my Powerbook.

Jaymax
Aug 23, 2008, 06:14 AM
I have a
12" Powerbook G4, Ali,
1 Ghz Power Pc
256mb
133mhz
With a combo drive (non dvd burner)
Mac Osx
Running Panther
So all in all im up for upgrading to a reasonable but safe system.

Jaymax
Aug 23, 2008, 08:10 AM
Ive been looking at the Hitachi 160gb or the Western Digital 250gb here>>>

http://www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11154&NavigationKey=41610000&NavigationKey=47250000&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1

windowpain
Aug 23, 2008, 10:21 AM
Actually, the first thing I would do is buy some more Ram.
Max it out (i think it'll take 1.25Gb) and it'll run a LOT better.

I would also put tiger on it, possibly leopard..
I've got a 1.33Ghz ibook that runs leopard pretty well, and has a far worse graphics card in it.

try here http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerBook%20G4%201GHz%20%2812-inch%20Display%29

Jaymax
Aug 25, 2008, 08:17 AM
Ok, Thanks!
Thats what I am going to do.
Get some ram first then a hard drive.
I have chose one and am gonna have a go at installing it myself as I cant really afford to have someone do it for me, plus I really wana learn about my most loved item.
I have read various instructions on 'Installing a Hardrive in Powerbook G4' and some appear to say that you can just access it via the back of the mac and some say that you have to take the keyboard off aswell.????
Anyone know what is correct?

windowpain
Aug 25, 2008, 11:23 AM
look no further than here http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/

I used it when I changed the hard drive on my ibook, no problems.

The powerbook doesn't look so hard. Just take it slow, remember where the screws went and try not to bend the pins when you take off the hard drive cable. Should take you about half an hour I suppose... good luck!

monkey86
Aug 25, 2008, 12:41 PM
ive literally just bought the WD Scorpio 250gb ide 2.5" hdd for my powerbook 12" G4 1.33/1.25/60 and im waiting for it to arrive - i would go for the 250 not the 160, i got mine brand new on ebay for 40 inc delivery and there are a load more on there, i also got a caddy so i can use/sell the old hdd as an external for 12 gbp :)

California
Aug 25, 2008, 04:42 PM
OP, ram is very easy to put in the powerbook 12 inch.

The hard drive swap is harder.

Get an old egg carton for the screws.

Go very slow. Remember where each screw went and don't drop them.

I swapped out the hard drives on my 12 powerbook twice now,
it will take you a couple of hours but

WORTH IT.

Jaymax
Aug 26, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah cool idea bout the use of an egg carton.
Im probarly gonna end up doing it, I just wish you could access from the back and not having to take the keyboard off etc.
Its completely gone now, so here I am typing this on my old clunker' using windows crap!
Anyway many thanks!
;)

notjustjay
Aug 26, 2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, be very very careful! I had a friend help me and we got stymied by the step where you remove the keyboard ribbon cable. Take that VERY slow, we ended up ripping the cable off the connector :eek: At least we were able to fix it!

California
Aug 26, 2008, 07:53 PM
Just read the ifixit instructions and go slow, they tell you everything you need to know in putting in a new hard drive in the PowerBook. Also, blow up the photos on the ifixit page while you are working through the steps. It just takes a couple of hours. Not that horrible

monkey86
Aug 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
im worried but im going to do it anyway :O !!

Jaymax
Aug 27, 2008, 06:54 AM
:D
Ha! Thats the spirit!
Same as that!

monkey86
Aug 27, 2008, 08:36 AM
the wd scorpio arrived today as did my hdd caddy - they sent me the wrong one!! ive got a sata caddy and an ide hdd grrrr! now have to wait for the right one to arrive :)

still gonna swap them hehe!

zerotl
Aug 28, 2008, 10:50 AM
Let us know how this goes, I'm thinking of doing this to my beloved 12" powerbook, but I don't think I have the guts to take it apart.

Good Luck

1800collect
Aug 30, 2008, 11:42 AM
Sorry to sorta hijack this thread, but I need help!

I have a Powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz 15" with maxed out 2GB of ram. It's running Leopard. I'm not sure, but I feel this computer has slowed down a lot throughout the years. I don't know if it's just because I've upgraded the OS so much (each time a fresh install), but it seems like it is much slower. Also I have an iMac 2.66ghz intel at work and at home as well so it might make this little laptop feel slower.

Because I've felt this laptop is too slow for what I have, I'm thinking of upgrading the hard drive in hopes it runs smoother. It has it's stock 60GB 4800RPM hard drive in it. 40+GB is free on the drive to give it lots of room to do its thing. I feel it might be dying, but I can't tell. For example sometimes it takes forever for the laptop to wake up from sleep. Anything past 5 tabs open in Safari and it chugs. Sometimes when I type it has a hard time keeping up. All I ever have running is Safari and sometimes iTunes, but it starts to hang. I fixed permissions and did a test on the hard drive in disk utility using verify disk but everything seems fine. Also sometimes flash video can hang and slow down because the computer seems to be having a hard time keeping up. Also just opening folders can lag from time to time.

Am I just expecting a better performance than I should? Will upgrading to a bigger faster hard drive really speed me up or am I just dreaming? I expanded to a full 2 gigs of ram, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I remember getting this brand new with CS1 Suite installed and it running snappy, but that was back on 10.3 and a long time ago. I try not to do any design work on the machine because it lags so much with CS3 and 10.5.

Can anyone convince me that swapping the hard drive is a good idea? I know I could do it if I took my time, I just hate opening laptops because I could easily break something. Any other powerbook users who have noticed a decrease in performance? Or is my hard drive really just old and dying? I just want a snappier computer and I feel I should be able to get this with these specs, but again I could just be wrong since I have such fast machines to compare it to. Have powerbook owners who have swapped their hard drive noticed a speed increase?

Sorry for the long post, I just don't know if I want to do this.

California
Aug 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
Sorry to sorta hijack this thread, but I need help!

I have a Powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz 15" with maxed out 2GB of ram. It's running Leopard. I'm not sure, but I feel this computer has slowed down a lot throughout the years. I don't know if it's just because I've upgraded the OS so much (each time a fresh install), but it seems like it is much slower. Also I have an iMac 2.66ghz intel at work and at home as well so it might make this little laptop feel slower.

Because I've felt this laptop is too slow for what I have, I'm thinking of upgrading the hard drive in hopes it runs smoother. It has it's stock 60GB 4800RPM hard drive in it. 40+GB is free on the drive to give it lots of room to do its thing. I feel it might be dying, but I can't tell. For example sometimes it takes forever for the laptop to wake up from sleep. Anything past 5 tabs open in Safari and it chugs. Sometimes when I type it has a hard time keeping up. All I ever have running is Safari and sometimes iTunes, but it starts to hang. I fixed permissions and did a test on the hard drive in disk utility using verify disk but everything seems fine. Also sometimes flash video can hang and slow down because the computer seems to be having a hard time keeping up. Also just opening folders can lag from time to time.

Am I just expecting a better performance than I should? Will upgrading to a bigger faster hard drive really speed me up or am I just dreaming? I expanded to a full 2 gigs of ram, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I remember getting this brand new with CS1 Suite installed and it running snappy, but that was back on 10.3 and a long time ago. I try not to do any design work on the machine because it lags so much with CS3 and 10.5.

Can anyone convince me that swapping the hard drive is a good idea? I know I could do it if I took my time, I just hate opening laptops because I could easily break something. Any other powerbook users who have noticed a decrease in performance? Or is my hard drive really just old and dying? I just want a snappier computer and I feel I should be able to get this with these specs, but again I could just be wrong since I have such fast machines to compare it to. Have powerbook owners who have swapped their hard drive noticed a speed increase?

Sorry for the long post, I just don't know if I want to do this.

That old hard drive is very very SLOW. It's actually 4200rpms.

Get a 250gig Western Digital. Also get throw in a newer and faster optical superdrive, either UJ 846 or UJ 847. Make sure all your ram is recognized, too on the 15".

I don't think the 15" is as difficult as the 12" powerbooks to take apart, but I could be wrong.

You will notice a difference if you upgrade the hard drive, promise.

Sell the old one for 20 or so bucks and sell your old optical drive for around the same if it is a combo, a few bucks more if it is a superdrive dvd burner.

You will feel like it is a brand new machine almost.

I do think the 100gb Travelstar 7200rpm is microseconds faster than the 250gb drives, but they are not easy to get and mostly out of warranty. Nice thing about putting new optical and new hard drive is they are both under warranty. Say in a year you want to sell it, having a couple of warranties on the internals is a nice selling point.

I heard somewhere along the line that a better optical drive somehow increases speed, too, but I could be wrong. Test the ram and swap the chips around too, just to mix things up.

Tiger would probably run better on your machine.

I had the last model PPC mac mini 1.5ghz and I was completely bummed that it took only 1 gig max of ram. I used some utility app to disable dashboard and the mini ran faster. I've disabled dashboard on my 1.5ghz 12" powerbook with only 1.25 max ram and it runs a lot faster. Dashboard is not a big deal for me. Oh and it is running Leopard for pretty great without dashboard.

Hope that helps!

Jaymax
Aug 31, 2008, 09:34 AM
Thats o.k.
I found that when I opened disk utility from my o.s disc at the bottom of the page of my disc it said Disc Failing.
Im Swapping mine out for this 1, I think its compatible >>>

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4RQV&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11154,50372,40970000

windowpain
Aug 31, 2008, 09:53 AM
Jaymax,
the disk you mentioned is a Serial ATA drive (SATA) and is incompatible with a powerbook.

You need an IDE ATA drive. any of these (http://www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11154&NavigationKey=41610000&NavigationKey=47250000&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1) should be fine.

Generally speaking the SATA drives are bigger/faster and cheaper..

edit: i'd probably get this (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4YN0&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11154,41610000,47250000,40970000&InMerch=1) one

Jaymax
Aug 31, 2008, 10:15 AM
Aye"?
Really?
Im on the verge of ordering it and Im sure it was compatible?
Its a ATA?
Please help friend...

Its this one >>>>

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4YN0&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11154,41610000,47250000,40970000&InMerch=1

Jaymax
Aug 31, 2008, 10:16 AM
PATA I mean...

Jaymax
Aug 31, 2008, 11:02 AM
Ok thats a PATA drive and is 7 more, but it looks like your right from the review underneath. Im going to order it. I ordered some ram from them the other day and it was here in a couple of days. Cool!
:D
Thank you very much for your advise my friend, you have been of great help!;)

appleaddy
Sep 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could tell me which drive to get. I have this: Hardware Overview:

Model Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Model Identifier: PowerBook5,9
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Processor Speed: 1.67 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.6f0

1) I need at least a 250gb hard drive, but don't know which one. I know it should be an IDE, that's all.

2) Do I need more ram? Where do I get that? Which kind?

3) what about installation kits? data transfer?

Thanks! I called our only tech place in town and they want $189 for installation of a hard drive and $150 for data transfer! That on top of the hard drive cost.

RedTomato
Sep 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
I just replaced the HD on my macbook (very easy job) and went through the same size issues.

In the end I went for a 320GB 5400rpm drive, as when it has 200GB of stuff on it, it will be far faster than a 200GB 7200rpm drive that is 95% full.

So go for the biggest IDE drive you can afford. I tried to replace the drive on a dying iBook, and I screwed it up - I pulled one cable socket right off the mobo, killing the iBook stone dead. I think it's the same as the poster above, NotJustJay. How did you manage to fix it?

monkey86
Sep 2, 2008, 03:47 PM
you need a western digital 250gb ide 2.5" ide hard drive do the repair yourself (www.ifixit.com) so much cheaper!!

the socket on the motherboard can be replaced but you will have to solder it and be v careful!

nsbio
Sep 2, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hi there,

1) I need at least a 250gb hard drive, but don't know which one. I know it should be an IDE, that's all.

2) Do I need more ram? Where do I get that? Which kind?

3) what about installation kits? data transfer?

Thanks! I called our only tech place in town and they want $189 for installation of a hard drive and $150 for data transfer! That on top of the hard drive cost.

1) "At least" 250 Gb? 250Gb is the largest capacity drive that is available for your PB. "At least" in this case equals "At most".

There is only one PATA drive that is at 250Gb, and that is WD (google WD2500BEVE). (I installed this exact HD into my 1.5Ghz PB in March and it has been good so far).

2) More RAM is entirely up to you. This has nothing to do with what drive capacity you have or want to.

3) An installation kit? That would be you once you get a couple of needed screwdrivers (see the procedure and req-s for your particular model at ifixit.com). It is not the easiest job to do but is not the hardest. Make sure you have a printout of the ifixit guide and all the necessary screwdrivers. I had decided to go with bad tools for my replacement (was too impatient and used oversized phillips screwdrivers) and ended up breaking a couple of screws such that one is still sticking out of the case half-way in (or half-way out, depending on how you look at it).

Transferring data? Before installing your hard drive you might want to place your new drive into an enclosure and make a copy of your current hard drive using SuperDuper. This is a free (donationware?) program that works very well. Carbon Copy Cloner does too.

The price quoted is a ripoff. Unless you are highly paid executive or have severe technophobia, you should do it yourself. In the end, it gives a sense of accomplishment as a free perk :).

acruzjr
Sep 2, 2008, 10:31 PM
I just received this from newegg.com. I paid $74.95 with s/h.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148073&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-N82E16822148073

I still need to buy the spudger tool so I can safely open my 15" PB's crashed hd. I want to make sure I have all the right tools based on ifixit's step-by-step instructions before I open the PB for surgery. :)

I bought the iMac 20" with 2GB/2.66 ghz Intel Core 2 duo. I am not in a real hurry to replace the PB's HD.

alphaod
Sep 2, 2008, 11:52 PM
I just received this from newegg.com. I paid $74.95 with s/h.

Well the 250GB is only $99, so why get a 160GB?

monkey86
Sep 3, 2008, 05:51 AM
heres some pics of my recent harddrive swap :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=554506

check it!

windowpain
Sep 3, 2008, 08:59 AM
Thank you very much for your advise my friend, you have been of great help!;)

You are more than welcome. Good luck with it all.

just a few points of advice (and summary of what others have said too);

1) Use an egg box or Ice cube tray to keep the screws separate.
2) Use the ifixit guide on another computer next to you if you can. (or failing that print it out)
3) Ground yourself before poking about inside. (just touch something metal) better safe than sorry.
4) Go slow, be careful when taking off the keyboard/top cover, they are usually still attached on the bottom side.
5)Get the right size screwdrivers (including the torx) before you start. It's easy to thread a screw.(I've done this too many times)
6) I found bent needle nose pliers to be useful for removing things stuck to the logic board (you don't want to be pulling on the wires!)

appleaddy
Sep 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll get to work.

acruzjr
Sep 4, 2008, 06:46 AM
Well the 250GB is only $99, so why get a 160GB?

Yes, the 250GB is only $99. Based on what I read here, I need ATA-6 drive. The 250GB is SATA. I believe this 250GB drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148310) will work with the PB generation after mine and the newer Macbooks. I could be wrong. ;)

monkey86
Sep 4, 2008, 06:55 AM
WD Scorpio 250 Gb is the best bet i have on in my sig 12" PB.

junior77
Sep 5, 2008, 09:08 AM
Just picked up a WD scorpio 250GB HD for my PBG4 15". Debating having Best Buy do the instal for $50 USD. Seems to be reasonalbe price. Anyone have good/bad luck with Best Buy for doing computer work?

monkey86
Sep 5, 2008, 10:41 AM
if your not comfortable get them to do it, if you are buy some ram with the $50 ;)

make sure they are warrantied as well

windowpain
Sep 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
Debating having Best Buy do the instal for $50 USD. Seems to be reasonalbe price. Anyone have good/bad luck with Best Buy for doing computer work?

50 dollars seems reasonable I suppose, but I would recommend doing it yourself...
It really isn't that hard. But on the other hand if you tend to snap things off and have fingers like sausages..50 bucks isn't that much for peace of mind.

Will they transfer your data over too? or just do the HD swap?

junior77
Sep 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
RAM is maxed out at 2GB.

They will not transfer data over, $50 is just for the hard drive swap. To transfer data is additional exoborant cost. ~$100-150.

I have a Super Duper copy on a FW external drive, so that should be easy to transfer back.

BestBuy are supposedly Apple certified, insured, with IIRC a 30 day warranty.

I probably *could* do the install myself, but am afraid I might bend something or break a tab, etc...

windowpain
Sep 5, 2008, 11:35 AM
They will not transfer data over, $50 is just for the hard drive swap. To transfer data is additional exoborant cost. ~$100-150.

Wow!...I think I chose the wrong career! 150bucks for using superduper..:(

junior77
Sep 5, 2008, 12:44 PM
Anyone know how much Apple will charge?

I can't get an answer over the phone, either retail store directly or telephone tech support. Apple insists on scheduling an appointment with the Genius bar. PITA!!

junior77
Sep 6, 2008, 01:07 AM
Anyone know how much Apple will charge?

I can't get an answer over the phone, either retail store directly or telephone tech support. Apple insists on scheduling an appointment with the Genius bar. PITA!!

After making the trip to the Apple store I was told they do not offer that service. They will only replace the drive with the same exact size. So, glad they couldn't tell that to me over the phone!!!!

I then considered to buy the tools necessary to install it myself....local computer store wanted ~$15 for the tools or $40 to do it themselves. Figure, I'd save myself the pain and trouble for $25.

monkey86
Sep 6, 2008, 08:02 AM
as long as they dont break it :)

junior77
Sep 6, 2008, 10:41 AM
The shop is an authorized repair shop, so I'm covered there. Should be done today...we'll see...

alphaod
Sep 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, the 250GB is only $99. Based on what I read here, I need ATA-6 drive. The 250GB is SATA. I believe this 250GB drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148310) will work with the PB generation after mine and the newer Macbooks. I could be wrong. ;)

No you will need this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136159

All PBs are EIDE.

acruzjr
Sep 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
No you will need this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136159

All PBs are EIDE.

Oic, yes I saw the WD Scorpio's. My personal preference is the Seagate. After the HD crashed on this PB, I have NO intention to store a lot of my critical data here. I will backup somewhere else regularly. Thank you for the recommendation.

acruzjr
Sep 6, 2008, 03:08 PM
Oic, yes I saw the WD Scorpio's. My personal preference is the Seagate. After the HD crashed on this PB, I have NO intention to store a lot of my critical data here. I will backup somewhere else regularly. Thank you for the recommendation.

Btw, I just finished installing Mac OS X in my PB after replacing the drive. I just made sure I have all the recommended tools from iFixit's site.

donga
Sep 6, 2008, 03:28 PM
quick question: i've noticed on my powerbook that the fan kicks in all the time. after say 5 minutes of low usage (2-3 tabs on firefox, no other progs) it comes on. anyone else have this issue and have a solution? maybe hard drive related? or age?

alphaod
Sep 6, 2008, 04:42 PM

I prefer Seagate as well, but unfortunately the WD is only option out there AFAIK.

quick question: i've noticed on my powerbook that the fan kicks in all the time. after say 5 minutes of low usage (2-3 tabs on firefox, no other progs) it comes on. anyone else have this issue and have a solution? maybe hard drive related? or age?

Yeah I have that issue too. I hate it. My kicks on when the computer is doing nothing.

acruzjr
Sep 6, 2008, 09:51 PM
Just picked up a WD scorpio 250GB HD for my PBG4 15". Debating having Best Buy do the instal for $50 USD. Seems to be reasonalbe price. Anyone have good/bad luck with Best Buy for doing computer work?

I just replaced my PB 15" crashed 80GB Toshiba drive today. It took me just under 2 hours. I printed this (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-15-Inch-1-1-5-GHz-BT-1-1/HD-Replacement/54/9/) step-by-step instructions from iFixit. Just make sure you have all the required tools. I even ordered the spudger from them.

gri
Sep 7, 2008, 03:50 PM
I have a PB G4 1.5 GHz with a 80 GB HD that seems to be dying - and of course I am traveling...

The computer does not respond every 5 to 10 minutes with a spinning wheel and rhythmic clicking noise of the HD. I used disk repair and repaired the permissions, some had to be repaired without problem, after that though same issue. I checked the disk and Disc utilities found problems but could not repair the disc. I than used Norton Disc Doctor who failed to check the disc twice for some "serious error, likely hardware related" Getting increasingly nervous I cashed in for Disc Warrior, who reported the same thing (lost 100 bucks there), the repaired catalogue could not be replaced due to hardware errors with the disc and a dire warning to back up as the problem likely is to get worse. So it seems it is dying.

Now, this is luckily not my main computer but my previous one I use for travel, my MBP is sitting in NYC so I don't need the largest and fastest disc on this one. But if I have to replace it I want a bigger one (100 to 120, 23 still free on this one). Which one would you recommend (US). And what about this replacement guide from apple (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=111925), seems easier to me, without going at it from the top but rather the back, leaving the keyboard in place.

windowpain
Sep 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
Hello.

I may be wrong but it looks like the page you linked to is for a Titanium powerbook, not the aluminum one you have.
You are right though, It does look easier.

For the Alu Powerbook you need to remove the top.
I would recommend a WD hard drive. I think there are a few linked to in this thread..

junior77
Sep 8, 2008, 08:57 AM
MicroCenter has Western Digital Scorpio 5400rpm 250GB IDE 2.5" for $90, with $60 installation fee or you can buy the tools and do it yourself. Dropped it off Friday night, picked it up on Sunday morning. So far, no major complaints...speed seems to be improved and lots of extra space for iTunes/iPhoto.

wallapaloo
Nov 2, 2008, 12:31 AM
I have a 17" PowerBook G4 1.5 and the hard drive recently crapped out on me. After a while of researching I decided to upgrade the hard drive to a Western Digital Scorpio 160gb ATA. Size isn't an issue as I have a large external hard drive that I backup to frequently. I'm new to the system configs of Macs, specifically this PowerBook. After doing my own swap out of the drive I rebooted with the installation cds that came with the computer originally. I have gotten as far as "select the destination" screen on the installation process. Here though my new drive does not appear. I went into disk utility and erased the hard drive and went back to the install process. This time the drive does appear, however I cannot select that drive to install on. Can someone please tell me if this is because of the hard drive itself or if its an error in my formatting.
Thanks

windowpain
Nov 2, 2008, 01:56 AM
Did you get any error messages saying why you couldn't install on the drive?

My guess is that the drive is ok, but you have formatted using the wrong partition scheme. Try formatting again and when it gives you options check something else.

I think of the top of my head that intel macs need to use GUID partition scheme whereas PPC macs need apple partition map...
I could be wrong on that.. but try a different option and you might have some luck.

You can verify the disk in disk utility to make sure its ok.