PDA

View Full Version : Replacement dvd drive for Powerbook G4

Jaymax
Aug 20, 2008, 04:55 PM
Im after swapping my original one for one that burns dvd's aswell as cd's, can anyone reccommend a good one please.
Many Thanks!
:)

airjuggernaut
Aug 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
Here's a website for all your needs.

http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/Aluminum-12-Inch/53

Jaymax
Aug 21, 2008, 06:09 AM
Many Thanks mate, cool site.
I am in the U.K though :rolleyes:

airjuggernaut
Aug 21, 2008, 02:50 PM
Many Thanks mate, cool site.
I am in the U.K though :rolleyes:

Hmm well according to their shipping policy, they will ship to the UK

We ship to all 50 states (including US territories and APO/FPO addresses) and these countries:

Anguilla, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belgium, Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Republic of Korea, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Nepal, Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom (Great Britain)'

But if you're worried about PAL or something, I'm pretty sure you get designate which country/region format you want to use for your drive the first time you insert a disc in it...

Jaymax
Sep 9, 2008, 03:54 PM
Few!
I have just installed my new Hard drive, booted up and nothing, so I put my Osx disc in and went into disc utility and checked the hard drive, didn't know what I was doing really ( I guess looking for 'Format' or something).
Exit that and the 'Select a destination to install Mac Osx, however the drive had a '!' on it in red and underneath it says 'You cannot install mac Osx on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume'.
??????????????
Please someone help as I was well pleased I installed the hd myself, done everything correctly using 'I fix it' excellent guide and now I am well and truelly stuck!?

techound1
Sep 9, 2008, 04:02 PM
Were you installing a HD or a DVD? Your op says DVD. :confused:

Jaymax
Sep 9, 2008, 04:06 PM
Oops! Sorry. A Hard Drive.

Jaymax
Sep 9, 2008, 04:13 PM
Also its a 250 Gb Hd and it says available space 232 Gb ?
Wheres 18gb gone!?
:confused:

Andre1980
Sep 9, 2008, 04:22 PM
I remember this happening to me when I installed a new hd in my G4.

Well, I think you'll simply have to format the drive before installing the Mac OS X. To do so proceed to the step where you obviously arrived already (pick a hd to install Mac OS X..). Go to disk utility in the menu on top of the screen. Here you can format the new drive (HFS+ journaled).
Once done you can close disk utility and should be able to choose that drive to have the OS installed on it.

Good luck on that

PS: I remember that day. it really gave me the creeps. After a sweaty hour of opening the mac, swapping the drive and carefully closing it and then getting such a mean "error" message.. but in the end it was all fine - and so should you be.

Jaymax
Sep 9, 2008, 04:24 PM
Can Someone please advise me as to what the different options mean (once you have clicked on your Hd) in Disk Utility?
Or advise me as to where I could read up on such knowledge.
Many thanks!

Oh ive just rebooted it and its working ok now:eek:... fingers crossed!
Just hope it recognizes the Airport card and the ram

TEG
Sep 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
Which different options...

Mac OS +
Mac OS + (Journaled) - Use this one.
Mac OS + (Case Sensitive-Journaled)
Mac OS + (Case Sensitive)

TEG

Jaymax
Sep 11, 2008, 10:56 AM
Sorted ! :D
Reeboot sorted it!
Im so chuffed I installed:
Hard drive
Ram
Airport extreme card
and its all working excellent.
BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU THAT REPLIED AND TO THOSE KIND PEOPLE AT
I FIX IT.
There guides are excellent and there screw print off proved most helpful.
Cool!
;)