Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the scenario that i'm wondering about:

I've downloaded a good bit of apps from the iTunes App Store using an older iTunes account. Some were free, some were not. I have them synced onto my iPhone.

Now, i've got a new iTunes account that I'd like to use on my computer and my iPhone. What will happen when one of the non-free apps are up for an update? Am I going to have to re-sign-in under my old account, since it was the one that I initially purchased the app with?

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Yeah, you will. I have apps from three different iTunes accounts on my iPhone and it is bloody messy. Just terribly buggy. iTunes and the iPhone doesn't cope well. It can do it, but I have all sorts of troubles. Especially when it comes to updating them all.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Just for your information,

People have reported problems with applications crashing due to DRM issues when operating two iTunes accounts.

This presumable happens because the iPhone applies the second account's information to the application while you are signed into your first account.
The application's DRM then becomes confused about who owns the application, and therefore crashes the application, until the right account/DRM information is synced.

R-Fly

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
If you're talking about a decent amount of money, you might try calling Apple and see if they will re-assign those old apps to your new iTunes account. If it's technically feasible, you could probably talk them into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.