PDA

View Full Version : Mac Air vs. MacBook

embalmess
Aug 21, 2008, 01:50 AM
Your thoughts? Which would you rather buy? Why does the MacBook Air seem to have less memory, GHz, etc??

born2win413
Aug 21, 2008, 01:51 AM
I had a MacBook...then I bought a MacBook Air, one had to go, sold the MacBook...

Think of this, new technology innovation vs performance old technology.

dukebound85
Aug 21, 2008, 01:55 AM
I had a MacBook...then I bought a MacBook Air, one had to go, sold the MacBook...

Think of this, new technology innovation vs performance old technology.

huh? they have the same tech just one is skinny and has VERY little features and one is full featured and a tad thicker

funkybunk
Aug 21, 2008, 04:39 AM
The MacBook air is what I believe to be one of Apple's biggest mistakes. You have one USB port that will be used by the superdrive, or a printer, or a mouse. You also have a weak 80 gig hard drive, or you can get the $3000 with a whopping 64 gig! You will have trouble even watching Youtube videos, it's hardly lighter than the MacBook, and only half an inch thinner.

The Macbook is faster, prettier, stores more, and comes with everything a computer should.

The MacBook air is too big to be a UMPC. If I want to use a computer with no disk drive, I'll keep my EEE pc.

Babooshka
Aug 21, 2008, 05:00 AM
The MBA is for the Paris Hiltons of the world, very "OMG iznt I soooo awesum?'

The MB is lovely, I wish I could have one

netdog
Aug 21, 2008, 05:07 AM
The MBA is for the Paris Hiltons of the world, very "OMG iznt I soooo awesum?'

The MB is lovely, I wish I could have one

Apparently John McCain is in our midst.

bartzilla
Aug 21, 2008, 05:09 AM
Your thoughts?

Two totally different products aimed at two different markets to do two different jobs.

Which would you rather buy?

Out of the MB and the MBA? The MB all the way. My next machine will actually be a MBP, large unforeseen expenses notwithstanding.

Why does the MacBook Air seem to have less memory, GHz, etc??

Again: Two totally different products aimed at two different markets to do two different jobs. Go to an Apple store, look at them side by side then pick each one up to get a feel for the weight. That's your answer right there.

Apple Ink
Aug 21, 2008, 05:18 AM
You're asking me to compare day and night!

Both serve different purposes!:p

P.S.: Apple's and oranges is far to old!

Babooshka
Aug 21, 2008, 05:35 AM
Apparently John McCain is in our midst.

Sir, I take offence to thee. I challenge thee to pistols at dawn, 10 paces then we fire.

I meant that the Air doesn't have as much practical usage as the MB.

.:R2theT
Aug 21, 2008, 07:18 AM
The MacBook air is what I believe to be one of Apple's biggest mistakes. You have one USB port that will be used by the superdrive, or a printer, or a mouse. You also have a weak 80 gig hard drive, or you can get the $3000 with a whopping 64 gig! You will have trouble even watching Youtube videos, it's hardly lighter than the MacBook, and only half an inch thinner.

The Macbook is faster, prettier, stores more, and comes with everything a computer should.

The MacBook air is too big to be a UMPC. If I want to use a computer with no disk drive, I'll keep my EEE pc.

Just because the Air doesn't resonate with you hardly makes it Apple's biggest mistake. Some might say Lisa or even Cube before they say MacBook Air. And the SSD is only $2598 these days. And I am sure it will continue to drop as SSD prices come down.

Your thoughts? Which would you rather buy? Why does the MacBook Air seem to have less memory, GHz, etc??

If I was in the market for a new portable I would probably grab the Air just because of the weight savings. For what I would use it for for school and the fact that I bike a ton would make the weight savings very beneficial. But if you want it to be a reasonable desktop replacement the Air is a bit underpowered by today's standards. But the same argument can be made about the MacBook as well. We tend to pay a premium for the end-to-end experience that Apple provides.

scienide09
Aug 21, 2008, 08:34 AM
If it's going to be your main/only computer, the MacBook will likely suit you better.

If you have a stronger desktop/workstation to handle the heavy lifting, then the MBA could be a good fit.

What are you using it for, and what other computing options do you have? For me, the MB is a way better choice.

*Sandy*
Aug 21, 2008, 08:42 AM
Had both and just bought a MB enough said !

maz94protege
Nov 3, 2009, 07:17 PM
Im debating on whether or not to trade my macbook1 1.83ghz for a 1.6 or 1.86ghz MacbookAir. But im looking for some benchmark tests.... anyone find or have any?

I know going from my DDR 667mhz to the DDR2 in the Air is an upgrade
and going from 2MB L2 cache to the 4MB L2 Cache is another upgrade.

but thats all i can find.

cfitz7111
Nov 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
The MBa is the sizzle

The MBP is the steak.

You may sell the sizzle, but you cant eat it, so for me, give me the steak

darngooddesign
Nov 4, 2009, 06:27 AM
Im debating on whether or not to trade my macbook1 1.83ghz for a 1.6 or 1.86ghz MacbookAir. But im looking for some benchmark tests.... anyone find or have any?

I know going from my DDR 667mhz to the DDR2 in the Air is an upgrade
and going from 2MB L2 cache to the 4MB L2 Cache is another upgrade.

but thats all i can find.

6MB L2 cache

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/12/review_laptop_apple_macbook_white/page3.html

KielderWolf
Nov 6, 2009, 08:56 PM
The MBa is the sizzle

The MBP is the steak.

You may sell the sizzle, but you cant eat it, so for me, give me the steak

That is, by far, the best analogy between the Book and the Air I have ever read. Kudos!

entatlrg
Nov 6, 2009, 09:08 PM
MBP great for a main computer, heavy lifting, the 13" is VERY portable.

MBA is an excellent netbook or secondary computer, or a good main computer for people who don't do intensive tasks and lightweight is a high priority...

It's easy to choose which one, just think about what you're going to be using it for and how important is weight to you.

cfitz7111
Nov 6, 2009, 11:35 PM
That is, by far, the best analogy between the Book and the Air I have ever read. Kudos!

why thank you. I too was having the same debate between the machine, and I want people not to remember me for having a MBa but what my presentation was about.

The MBa is sexy, and for some the right computer, but to me it is just a trophy wife to the machine that sits on your desk at home.

CrackedButter
Nov 7, 2009, 06:14 AM
The MacBook air is what I believe to be one of Apple's biggest mistakes. You have one USB port that will be used by the superdrive, or a printer, or a mouse. You also have a weak 80 gig hard drive, or you can get the $3000 with a whopping 64 gig.

1997 called, they want their argument back. Printers are wireless and so are mice.

andalusia
Nov 7, 2009, 07:49 AM
Just because the Air doesn't resonate with you hardly makes it Apple's biggest mistake.

Which is exactly why he said 'I think...'.

1997 called, they want their argument back. Printers are wireless and so are mice.

Brilliant!:p