Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.product

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I've found that maybe 50% of the time, following a long sleep (greater than a few hours) when I try to wake my Air from sleep I get one of two issues. Either
i) I cannot wake it at all. Sleep light is solid (on). No keys or the trackpad work at all. I'm forced to do a hard restart.

ii) I can wake it, but it is locked up. No beachball, but finder is unresponsive, I can't force close (cmd-opt-esc). I can use the trackpad, but the pointer is very very delayed. Dock also does not come up (autohiding = on). I have to hard restart for it to be functional.

This doesn't happen following a short sleep (few minutes to an hour or so).

I Googled this and found some similar situations related to network shares (not an issue for me) and the SMC controller. I reset the SMC controller yesterday and I'm trying to see if that did anything.

My questions:
1) I run Coolbook. Is it possible that my voltages are too low? They are all very stable (tested with CPU test for > 30 mins for each pair).

2) Anyone have a similar experience? Or any fixes?

Thanks in advance

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
One way to test - disable Coolbook and see if problem persists.

I've had problems with resizing/moving windows by click/drag after >1-2 day sleep times but never anything like you're experiencing.

.product

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I suppose I should try that. I haven't quite figured out how to replicate the problem. Sometimes it can sleep for hours and wake just fine.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
I have coolbook and don't have any of those problems...I would reset the PRAM

I just recently reapplied the thermal paste (which has made a huge difference with my MBA), should I even have coolbook? any suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.