Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardwe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
I have Panther and a Canon BubbleJet i865. I have no problem to connect and install the printer directly via the USB-port to my Mac. But when I try to install it through the network (when its connected to a Windows-machine) the trouble starts.

Panther have no problems finding the printer when i´m browsing through the network to add the printer. But when I shall select "printer type" (I run a swedish version so please excuse me if I don´t the menu-names, options etc right in english) the printer isn´t in the list (as it automatically is when I connect directly through the local USB-port)????

I searched on the harddrive to manually select the driver, but I can´t seem to find it. Anyone who nows how I shall do to install it?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I had the same problem when trying to set up my HP DeskJet 3420. It seems that OS X simply doesn't support all printers via Samba (Windows networking). I had an absolute mission trying to get it all working. it involved running Ghostscript on the Windows computer and was an absolute nightmare. But if you're feeling brave (or have a death wish :p) the instructions are here. Those instructions were written for Jaguar, some of the steps can be simplified with Panther (eg. you don't need to set up Unix Print Services).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.