PDA

View Full Version : Really Odd Experiences Thread

patrick0brien
Jan 11, 2004, 05:39 PM
-All

What is a really odd experience that you've had?

What I mean by 'really odd experience', is an experience that the mere thought of it would have sounded like a joke - until it happened.

For example:

"A snowball fight in a swimming pool in the dead of winter during a snowstorm."

True story. Picture taken less than an hour ago. Note the snowball on my head.

yarowe
Jan 12, 2004, 08:02 PM
I was attacked in a grocery store by a crazy man yelling, "YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DO IN FRANCE?!? YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DO IN FRANCE..."

Can't post the rest of the obscene things he said as he pinned me against the wall with my grocery cart...

yarowe
Jan 12, 2004, 08:04 PM
BTW-pat0, who took the pic? Frosty the Snowman?

latergator116
Jan 12, 2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by yarowe
I was attacked in a grocery store by a crazy man yelling, "YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DO IN FRANCE?!? YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DO IN FRANCE..."

Can't post the rest of the obscene things he said as he pinned me against the wall with my grocery cart...

Ahhhh... you reminded me of a story. I was in a Radioshack once ans some lady was sceaming because she wanted a free phone, but she didn't realize it was a rebate. She was telling eerybody in the store "this guy said I can get a FREE phone!!!" I think there was something wrong with her. She actually walked outside with the phone but the police came by then.

funkywhat2
Jan 12, 2004, 09:41 PM
Some guy in my school library hit on me today. He was really disappointed when I told him I was straight. Then he gave me a hug, and told me that if things didn't work out, he would always be around.

Freaky man. Why does everyone think I'm gay? Not that there's anything wrong with it.

MoparShaha
Jan 12, 2004, 11:32 PM
Well, I was up at UC Davis (California) a few weeks ago, walking along a street with my friend. There was this guy laying on a lawn next to the sidewalk. As we neared him, he stood up and approached us in a collegial manner. We thought he was trying to sell us drugs, but then he started pushing us and yelling. He pulled a knife and started chasing us down the street. He gave up after about thirty feet, and we called the cops on him. We didn't stick around to find out what happened. I'm still baffled as to why he attacked us.

patrick0brien
Jan 13, 2004, 12:07 AM
BTW-pat0, who took the pic? Frosty the Snowman?

-yarowe

And while we are on the subject of about odd experiences...

...I think I know you.

Yep! This is odd, definitely odd!

To answer your question, the person that took that picture was a friend that flew up to Montreal for the weekend. The funny party is, we kept trying to take that picture with the flash and always kept getting was the fog - pesky water vapor.

topicolo
Jan 13, 2004, 12:32 AM
Dreaming of having a specific conversation with a person at a specific location with specific lines and then actually experiencing it in reality exactly as in the dream. It was word for word exactly the same.

No this wasn't normal deja vu, it was a clear remembrance of the dream while I was experiencing it. I was using the dream as a script in reality!

Phil Of Mac
Jan 13, 2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Some guy in my school library hit on me today. He was really disappointed when I told him I was straight. Then he gave me a hug, and told me that if things didn't work out, he would always be around.

Freaky man. Why does everyone think I'm gay? Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Maybe you're a "metrosexual".

Crab people, crab people...

patrick0brien
Jan 13, 2004, 09:06 AM

-yarowe

Apologies for my assumption. This exact incident happened to a dear friend of mine just last week - grocery cart and all. (Dominick's on Halstead, Chicago)

I figured that this was such a unique experience, when you mentioned that it happened to you, I thought you were my friend messing with my head.

I'm curious, where did this happen to you?

big
Jan 13, 2004, 10:03 AM
odd, freaky? How about having to live in a haunted house? Unfortunatly, nothing has happened in the last two months, "they" have been awefully quiet...

I have a cam setup and a Mic, and can never catch them when I am expecting... when I do get something, I'll upload it for everyone....

yarowe
Jan 13, 2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-yarowe

Apologies for my assumption. This exact incident happened to a dear friend of mine just last week - grocery cart and all. (Dominick's on Halstead, Chicago)

I'm curious, where did this happen to you?

Wow! The crazy man must travel--Cabrini Green Dominicks in Chicago... After he was done yelling at me, he pinned another person by yelling at them.

patrick0brien
Jan 13, 2004, 11:36 AM
Wow! The crazy man must travel--Cabrini Green Dominicks in Chicago... After he was done yelling at me, he pinned another person by yelling at them.

-yarowe

Yes, I know it. Sounds like he patrols Halstead. Wonder if he makes it down to the Dominick's on Roosevelt?

I knew I was opening an "Odd"" thread, but I didn't know how odd. This is really darn strange.

funkywhat2
Jan 13, 2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Maybe you're a "metrosexual".

Crab people, crab people...

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2004, 01:10 PM
I was walking into a Michael's craft store where my mum was shopping. Each light overhead of me went out wherever I walked until I found my mum and then, all the lights went out in the store, followed by the emergency lights coming on.

As we left the store, all the lights returned to normal.

LimeiBook86
Jan 13, 2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2

haha, That Sienfield episode is funny :D

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 13, 2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by big
odd, freaky? How about having to live in a haunted house? Unfortunatly, nothing has happened in the last two months, "they" have been awefully quiet...

I have a cam setup and a Mic, and can never catch them when I am expecting... when I do get something, I'll upload it for everyone.... would like to hear more about this one, who's they and what have they done in the past?

big
Jan 13, 2004, 05:46 PM
"they" seem to be the inhabitants of the house... I had never stepped foot in the building until I had bought it.

Originally, a banker from Mobile with the last name of Cole, built this house in 1906. its absolutely a beautiful Victorian Design, gingerbread in and out. He had filed Bankruptsy, and gave it to his sister.

She in turn married MR. Warren, they had two children and then died later. I believe it to be the Warren's who can not leave their house.... They have come to me in dreams, "walked" down the hall, paced in my room, drug something across the heater wires, to create the sound of a stick on a picket fence, I felt a hand on my one night, my friends saying "ummm, that particular room fels funny", freezing cloudy rooms at times, slamming screen doors (after I had locked them all, funny shadows out of the corner of your eye.... etc etc etc...

I feel much more comfortable in the house after I told them off one night, not so much as told them off, as politely asked them to be quiet so I could sleep. They tend to make a great deal more noise when ever I do something like paint a room, I have not done anythign in awhile, so I think they are just becoming comfortable with me, as I am becoming comfortable with them.

The house is right down town, in the historic district. It has been vacant for nearly 60 years, now I know why noone in town would buy the place and live in it...

coopdog
Jan 13, 2004, 07:18 PM
On the ghost lines:
A few nights ago, I felt something weird in my room. I don't believe in things like ghosts. Well it was really early in the morning. I rolled over in bed and the light that was turned off next to my bed went on, waking me up. So I turned it on then turned it off. And tried to go back to bed I curl up next to my dog and the light comes on again. There is no way it could have been electrical problem. The light is 120V, and there is no way the power could bypass the switch. Then I was kindof getting annoyied. I would press down on my bed and the light would come on. The harder the brighter. Then I would jump on the bed and the light wouldn't do anything. Like someone was laughing at me doing this. Then trying to go back to sleep the light came back on. :o

So then i was like whatever, and tried to go to sleep. In the morning it was still doing it. After I got home I tried many times to get it to do it again and I couldn't get it to do it.

Then talking on the phone in the morning the phone shocked me in my ear. Never done that since.

In my old house;

I was on the computer home alone and I heard someone at the door, I thought I heard "gas man"

I was like WTF.

I walk into the other room and 2 cops have guns in my face. They do the whole "on the ground, arms up, blah blah"

Then after 20 min they are like, "sorry about that" then they leave and look around my backyard?!

I can't think of anymore right now.

tpjunkie
Jan 13, 2004, 07:44 PM
I was sitting in class junior year of high school idly playing with my pen between my first two fingers, kinda shaking it up and down against the wall, right above this metal tube that ended right next to my seat...well, it turns out there were two live wires poking slightly out of the end of the tube, and my pen made an excellent conductor, until the heat blew the ball out of the end in a sparking mass and shocked the pen out of my hand....all this in the middle of class....everyone looked at me like "what the hell just happened?"

latergator116
Jan 13, 2004, 07:53 PM
Well speaking of ghosts.. A few weeks ago I was making some waffles at about 3 in the morning when I started to hear the piano playing in the living room. My heart started racing and I started to sweat.

It turned out to be my cat walking across the keys. But man!, that freaked me out!

Stelliform
Jan 13, 2004, 10:47 PM
Here is my freaky thing. Let me start by saying, I really miss my old truck. It was the first car I ever had, and the first vehicle I had ever driven. I personally had it for over 4 years, but my dad had owned it for 11 years before that....

Anyway, my Dad had a stroke a few years back, and when I left the hospital that evening he wasn't able to talk. I headed back to the hospital for morning ICU visitation and as I neared the hospital a song I hadn't heard on since high school came on the radio. (My favorite song from high school, the Cure "Just Like Heaven") I used to drive around in my truck and have it on repeat on the CD player... Anyway as I am marveling at the fact that the radio is playing that song, my old truck drives by me. I hadn't seen it since the day that I sold it! Then I had a feeling that everything would be ok, and when I got to the ICU my Dad could talk again. The nurse had worked with him though the night and he was fine now.

Flash forward a couple of years to last November. My Grandfather is on his deathbed, and my grandmother is trying to care for him. Anyway, he loses his balance and knocks her over into the wall. She is taken to ICU for a couple of days. I finally get over to the hospital to visit her, (I first took shifts caring for my grandfather.) and as I pull up to the hospital I am behind my old truck. I haven't seen it since my Dad's stroke. (And what makes it interesting is that this hospital is in another town a half hour away from where my Dad was after his stroke.)

I think that the guy who bought my truck must work for the hospitals or something, but it is still remarkable that I have only seen it twice since I sold it and both times were similar circumstances...

Like the old girl is watching out for those I care about. ;) She was a great truck...

XnavxeMiyyep
Jan 13, 2004, 10:53 PM
I haven't had any extremely odd experiences. However there was one week at summer camp where i built a catapult out of wood and hurled water balloons at people, swam a mile, and almost got tracked down by the National Guard.

Awimoway
Jan 13, 2004, 11:31 PM
Tonight I'm finally getting around to upgrading my secondary computer (an iBook) to Panther. Yes, it's odd that I took this long. No, that's not my odd story. :) While I've got a lot of waiting time, I'll tap out a couple odd stories, both of which--oddly enough--have to do with clocks.

The first is minor. One summer when I was in high school, whenever I wondered what time it was and looked at the clock, it always read 4:44 PM. This happened rarely enough to not be subconsciously deliberate, but it always happened to be 4:44 in the afternoon when I wondered what time it was. It got creepier as the summer went by. And once, late in the summer, I woke up early because I wasn't feeling well. After spending a little one-on-one time with the toilet, I went into the living room to see what time it was. Sure enough. 4:44 AM.

Okay the second one is a little cooler. For no particular reason, one year I decided to read Carl Sandburg's multi-volume biography of Abraham Lincoln. It's pretty long and I was in college, so I wasn't exactly racing through it. I think I started it in the summer. Anyway, in November I came down with a bad flu and was bed-ridden for a week, during which time I read a whole lot of the bio. One day, I'm in bed reading about Lincoln's trip to Gettysburg to speak at the dedication of the new national cemetery. The book talks about how the featured speaker, some Harvard professor, began speaking at noon and spoke for two hours. Then there was a choir that sang one song. It was just as I was about to read the account of Lincoln getting up to give his address that I noticed the date on the newspaper on my bed--it was November 19, 1998. 135 years to the day since Lincoln gave his address. But then I looked at the clock. It was 12:05. I lived in the mountain time zone. According to the book, the service began at noon with a two hour speech and then a choir sang something. So I figured it would have been about 2:05 Eastern Time (more or less--I am and was then aware that time zones were not yet standardized, but Penn. is more or less in the middle of the time zone and could have been close to the now-standard Eastern time). So, to the best of my knowledge, it was exactly 135 years to the minute after it was given that I read a detailed account of the Gettysburg Address.

LimeiBook86
Jan 13, 2004, 11:33 PM
my door creeks all the time, well I don't have a doorknob because it broke and my dad needs to buy a piece of wood to fix it. Sometimes the cat trys to get into my room which makes it creek. It scares me sometimes ,but I wonder if it is always my cat. I hope it is. While I was reading the above storys I herd the door creek. Spooky eh?

I like the story about the truck. Sounds like a movie idea to me. The haunted house thing just freaks me out. I would be so scared if I lived there *shivers*

:(

blackbird
Jan 13, 2004, 11:53 PM
I know this may sound weird but I think there is a possible ghost in my shower. Most occurances only happen between the time of 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm although I had some expierences after that time but rarely.

When I walk in and stand in the same spot for a few minutes nothing happens. If I move it is almost like i bumping into them and knocking them to the shower floor.

The sound is loud and the only way I can describe it is filling a 5-gallon bucket with water and having all the water hit the floor at once. By the way the shower is fiberglass.

I have no idea why or how this happens... Any ideas? Ghosts? By The Way my house is has been moved from the waterfront in the 1930s and rebuilt further inland. Sewaren was a great resort in its time where presidents would stay in the local hotel... I wonder if someone died in our house or near by.

-Gabe

Nermal
Jan 14, 2004, 12:48 AM
The weirdest thing I can remember is nowhere near as strange as some of the ones on here so far, but here goes anyway.

First of all, i need to tell you that there is only one doorway into the kitchen of our house. So to get in or out, you need to go through that doorway.

Anyway, I was walking down the corridor towards the kitchen (perpendicular to the doorway). I saw my brother* run into the kitchen from the adjoining room. I head into the kitchen to talk to him, and he's not there!

I proceed into the lounge, and find him sitting there watching a movie.

* Looked like my brother (right shape etc) but since he was running past the doorway, I only saw him for half a second or so. He was wearing white. When I saw him watching TV, he was wearing a different colour.

Doctor Q
Jan 14, 2004, 01:07 AM
Experience #1

I once went exploring in the hallways of an old university building. It was late, so there weren't more than a few students still in the building, and it was very quiet. On the ground floor was a big auditorium with a pipe organ, and I had never been anywhere in the building other than the auditorium and a few main hallways. I discovered a lower floor with a short, dimly lit hallway that slanted downwards, with a smaller-than-normal locked door at the bottom. It felt very creepy, like I was in a weird Alice in Wonderland world. It's wasn't a place that I wasn't supposed to be in, but nevertheless it felt like I didn't belong there, so I started to turn back. Just then, somebody started to play the pipe organ, like the music in an old horror movie. I jumped at least a foot in the air and got out of there fast!

It was the kind of experience where you are more and more vaguely uncomfortable, and then you wake up. But in this case, it was no dream!

Experience #2

I was kicked by a Disneyland character (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=632179#post632179).

MacBandit
Jan 14, 2004, 01:19 AM
Was in Grants Pass, OR. The Ozarks of Oregon that is. Well we were at a gas station getting directions and this guy comes up and asks us what we're doing. We tell him we're going camping and he tells us we can come back to his moms house and stay the night. He's really insistent on it to. Also we can't get rid of the guy and he keeps telling us that it wouldn't be a problem and that we should really come over.

At that moment the Psycho sound track starts playing in my head and I leave my friends to deal with him.

cr2sh
Jan 14, 2004, 02:25 AM
When we were in London last winter we stayed in the Grosvenor House, the first night my friend Tress stayed in the single room. She woke up in the middle of the night and the window above her bed was opened. These windows are heavily weighted, and require work to get open, not something she would have done in her sleep. It freaked her out, so the next night I tried to sleep in the room. I'm laying there, everyone else is asleep and I here clanging around in the main room. Like I'm laying there, and I hear stuff going on in the other room. I'm thinking.. this isn't happening... there was just this cold chill to the room, freaked the hell out of me. No one stayed in that room the rest of the trip.

Has there ever been a "your ghost stories" thread?

TimDaddy
Jan 14, 2004, 03:23 AM
For as long as I can remember, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and cannot move. I can't even open my eyes or mouth. I can breathe just fine. I can hear what's going on around me. I can feel the bed under me, covers over me, and my wife against me. I usually lay there slightly freaked until I go back to sleep. So in the morning, I figure I just dreamed the whole experience. It happens pretty rarely, probably less than once a year. Early last year, it happened again. This time, it was apparently later in the morning because I can hear my wife up getting ready for work. I started trying like hell to say her name. I am forcing air through my mouth, kind of hissing. I finally get my lips to move and I barley whisper "Beth." She hears me and stops for a moment. I hear her come closer and I manage to whisper her name again. She's not sure what's going on. I use all my strength to say "Can't move." She's like "Do I need to call an ambulance." I am unable to answer. She nudges my head and tells me to wake up, and when she does she one of my eyelids opens. I'm laying there looking right at her, awake and aware, but cannot speak or move. She then shakes my entire body and I am suddenly able to move again. I mentioned it to my doctor and he says he's heard of it but he's not really sure of the exact cause. He did give me his personal theory. When you go to sleep, your body emits endorphins or something that paralyze your muscles. He says this dates back to caveman days, so that when you are dreaming about killing your dinner or being attacked by a bear, you don't get up and kill yourself or someone else. He says that just as many people do not get the full effect any more, such as sleepwalkers, he believes some people are basically getting too much of their own endorphines, and they aren't worn off when they awake. But, he really isn't sure. (I have also heard that this can be used as a "gateway" to an out of body experience.:) )

LimeiBook86
Jan 14, 2004, 08:49 AM
These are very good, keep'em comin I like reading them :D

big
Jan 14, 2004, 09:05 AM
TimDaddy

that happened to me one night in my "Haunted House".. I was peacefully dreaming, when I heard a set of stomping at the foot of my bed. I thought to my self in the dream 'That doesnot work in this dream, where did it come from" (note: I have an amazing ability to control and manage my dreams as I wish, so I thought I would investigate). It happened again so I decided to wake up, thinking that was not in the dream.

I heard the sound again as I am waking my self up, and that's when I realized, "Yeah, that sound is not in the dream, that's real" so I try to roll over, I can not move, though I know I am fully awake at this point, the sound happened one more time as I was fully awake, and unable to roll over, I even felt the thumping of the feet through the bed. So of course I freak, trying to scream my wifes name, nothing came out.

After some 30 secs when the sound quit, I am able to roll over, so I sat up in bed and said very audibly "Ok guys, time to cut it out, it is late and I need to sleep".

I rolled over to hug my wife and she flipped out because she was asleep the whole time and asked who I was talking to, I say just the ghosts and to go back to sleep.

Once I rolled back on my back, I stayed up for another hour just waiting and listening, the room was very very cold, and I could not see the ceiling. The ceilings ARE 12' from the floor, though I remeber specifically that when I went to bed, I could see the 1x2 strips on the ceiling as I laid there in bed, my only explanation, was I could not roll over for the same reason you could not move, its a way your mind works quicker than your body....

the ghost is real though...

Moxiemike
Jan 14, 2004, 10:01 AM
It didn't pick up. But there is a ghost thread.

Ghost Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=19225&highlight=ghosts)

I supposedly have gift of sight, deemed so by a Physic on my 21st birthday. All through my life i've had some off experiences.

In this bookstore where i worked, a guy would often sit on a couch before closing, reading civil war books.

Homewood cemetery in pittsburgh, we've been followed around by orbs. We've also had a balloon follow us around. BUt the weirdest was when we walked by a grave, and classical music started playing. Upon investigation (i saw a red light on the tomb) we realized that it was a motion sensor that tripped a recording. I'm SO doing that

I've had many run-ins with a close friend of mine who committed suicide in 1991. One weird one was on Good Friday the 13th, a few years back, where I saw her shoes at the bottom of a tree where we used to sit. I called some friends over, and when I turned back around, they were gone.

Slept in a haunted b&b in Cape May where windows that we kept opening for the breeze would be shut soon after we feel asleep, and we'd be awoken by someone stroking my girlfriend's arm.

There was some weird stuff while the same GF and I lay out on a lawn in the park near this church on one of the first days of spring. It was evening and we kept smelling roses... like, left to right. right to left. stop. repeat. On our way out, we saw a "plaque" dedicated to Maria McGowen, the rose lady. Confirmed "rose smelling" thing with the pastor the next day.

Plus, many little anecdotes from trips to abandoned mental wards, cemeteries, etc.

I almost bought a haunted house,where apparently one of the kids molested his sister. The parent killed him somehow, and through the years there have been 7 failed exorcisms. All documented in the disclosure statement. I decided to pass on that one. ;)

And a really freaky story from a haunted town called "Livermore" that eyelikeart can back up.... the freakiness of the place...wild. My friends and I were in the abandoned cemetery and heard some thumping, like a heart beat, following us around. But the mood of that place will do it.

We've had some weird stuff happen at Dixmont, a mental ward, where we go and explore. We were there in the cold, and it was really warm inside (even though there's no windows and the building has massive holes in it.) To the point where we took off our jackets. My buddy Chris was sweating a bit. This was in late november....about 30 or so.

big
Jan 14, 2004, 10:13 AM
so are places haunted, or people?

Moxiemike
Jan 14, 2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by big
so are places haunted, or people?

Both

Raid
Jan 14, 2004, 11:07 AM
Once when I was about 9 or 10 my parents were out of town and my brother and I had a babysiter for the night. I remember that he sent us to bed and went back downstairs to watch tv. As I'm just drifting off to sleep I feel the back right side of the bed lift up and drop with a bang. I initialy was freaked, but quickly assumed that it was the babysitter playing a prank. However my door was closed, and I heard him coming up the stairs to investigate. The bed was flat when I got on it and I wasn't moving around as I was just drifting off to sleep. The bed actually rasied up high enough to drop the wheel out from the corner of the bed and the wheel posts sit about 3-4 inches into the bed frame. It creeped the hell out of me.

I also used to have waking dreams, where I still dreamed for a few seconds after I was conscious. They mostly took the form of nightmares when I was stressed. It's kind of the opposite of that sleep paralysis TimDaddy mentioned. Now I can usually have lucid dreams if I really concentrate before I go to bed, and find it pretty fun. However one night was different, now these dreams usually didn't involve sleepwalking because the effect only lasted a few seconds. Yet one night during the renovation in our house one summer I had one of these dreams that lasted forever. In the dream I'm being chased by something bad, sometimes the images are fleeting like deamons that dissapear into smoke as I look around. So I "get up" and I run from my bedroom into the new livingroom to get away. Fearing that I'm still being followed I run out of the living room, past the dining room and kitchen and head to the basement. In a panic I go through the crawl-space in the basement and get into the garage. Feeling traped I climb behind the upright wheelbarrow and hide behind it. I sat there listening for my phantom pursuants on the cold concrete floor for several minutes. Then as suddenly as I bolted from my room I "wake up" to the fact that it was a dream. So with a system full of fear induced adrenaline and a little confused I slowly make my way back to bed... The funny thing is this happened in my early teens and I can still remember it like I was conscious... and I swear I wasn't on any medication!

big
Jan 14, 2004, 11:16 AM
Raid
maybe someone was trying to tell you where they were... and had you go there, maybe you felt compelled to be in that place, to understand what that person went through.

have you guys ever "fallen" into bed. when I was a kid, I would be asleep, dreaming I was playing soccer, or jumping or something.. and when I hit the ground in my dream, I wake up realizing I had just dropped onto my bed, still bouncing on the matress, once I woke up in a fall before I hit the bed... that was bizaare

I use to dream I could fly, like all the time. I haven't had one of those dreams in a long time though, they're great.

ever had an out of body experience?

MacBandit
Jan 14, 2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by TimDaddy
For as long as I can remember, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and cannot move. I can't even open my eyes or mouth. I can breathe just fine. I can hear what's going on around me. I can feel the bed under me, covers over me, and my wife against me. I usually lay there slightly freaked until I go back to sleep. So in the morning, I figure I just dreamed the whole experience. It happens pretty rarely, probably less than once a year. Early last year, it happened again. This time, it was apparently later in the morning because I can hear my wife up getting ready for work. I started trying like hell to say her name. I am forcing air through my mouth, kind of hissing. I finally get my lips to move and I barley whisper "Beth." She hears me and stops for a moment. I hear her come closer and I manage to whisper her name again. She's not sure what's going on. I use all my strength to say "Can't move." She's like "Do I need to call an ambulance." I am unable to answer. She nudges my head and tells me to wake up, and when she does she one of my eyelids opens. I'm laying there looking right at her, awake and aware, but cannot speak or move. She then shakes my entire body and I am suddenly able to move again. I mentioned it to my doctor and he says he's heard of it but he's not really sure of the exact cause. He did give me his personal theory. When you go to sleep, your body emits endorphins or something that paralyze your muscles. He says this dates back to caveman days, so that when you are dreaming about killing your dinner or being attacked by a bear, you don't get up and kill yourself or someone else. He says that just as many people do not get the full effect any more, such as sleepwalkers, he believes some people are basically getting too much of their own endorphines, and they aren't worn off when they awake. But, he really isn't sure. (I have also heard that this can be used as a "gateway" to an out of body experience.:) )

I would gets some other oppinions. You could also have an infection blocking nerve impulses.

Awimoway
Jan 14, 2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by big
have you guys ever "fallen" into bed. when I was a kid, I would be asleep, dreaming I was playing soccer, or jumping or something.. and when I hit the ground in my dream, I wake up realizing I had just dropped onto my bed, still bouncing on the matress, once I woke up in a fall before I hit the bed... that was bizaare

I believe these are very common. I recall hearing a daily radio blurb by some doctor about this. It has something to do with your nervous system relaxing when you fall asleep. Sometimes it happens before you fully fall asleep.

Funny, though, how you're usually dreaming about doing something active and then falling right when it happens.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 14, 2004, 12:42 PM
Sometimes I dream I'm walking down stairs, but I trip and fall and wake up in bed.

joker2
Jan 14, 2004, 12:45 PM
Check with your doctor as well, it could be a form of seizure. Fatal if you happen to be face-down in your pillow at the time. Yes, it has happened.

TimDaddy
Jan 14, 2004, 12:54 PM
MacBandit and shadow95- I never really took it that seriously. I was at my doctor for another reason and just mentioned it. Maybe I will get it checked out this year! I never really thought about waking up face down.:(

parrothead
Jan 14, 2004, 01:50 PM
I dont know if this story is odd or just funny but I figured I would tell it anyway.

A few years ago when I was working as a dive instructor I had an interesting experience. We had a lady get on the boat that had to have weighed close to 400 pounds. She asked if she could put on her BC (the inflatable vest that the tank attaches to) while floating in the water because it was easier that way. That was fine with us so she jumped in and after a few minutes of struggle she managed to get her arms in. However she was unable to fasten the cumberbun. Since I was relatively new the captain told me to get in and help her.

So I jump in with my mask and snorkel on and swim up to her. She was floating on her back and I swam up in front of her. I grabbed one side of the cumberbun and reached out to grab the other side. Now picture me with my arms spreadeagled grabbing these two ends.... now picture a small wave coming towards us. The wave lifted me and deposited me on top of the poor woman. My face ended up literally wedged between her massive breasts. I was stuck. It is a good thing I had my snorkel in or else I would have drowned. So she is there floating on her back trying to roll over to free me and I am flailing about yelling through my snorkel trying to push myself off. Finally after a minute or two the crew back on the boat stopped laughing long enough to come and pull me off.

Later at the end of the day when she was getting off the boat the woman handed me a 50 as a tip and winked and said that that was the most action she has seen in a long time. Ahh the glamorous life of a dive instructor.

MacBandit
Jan 14, 2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by parrothead
................Later at the end of the day when she was getting off the boat the woman handed me a 50 as a tip and winked and said that that was the most action she has seen in a long time. Ahh the glamorous life of a dive instructor.

Great story. Hahahahahaha

patrick0brien
Jan 14, 2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by TimDaddy
When you go to sleep, your body emits endorphins or something that paralyze your muscles.

-TimDaddy

It's called "Sleep Paralysis". It is a normal part of sleep, and it sets in at Level One sleep (Alpha Waves). Most people twitch when this neurological mechanism kicks in. For those sleeping next to a significant other, you may feel them make this transition.

What is not supposed to happen is for you to become conscious during paralysis.

It could be related to diet. Might want to check into what you are eating.

That is scary.

MacBandit
Jan 15, 2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-TimDaddy

It's called "Sleep Paralysis". It is a normal part of sleep, and it sets in at Level One sleep (Alpha Waves). Most people twitch when this neurological mechanism kicks in. For those sleeping next to a significant other, you may feel them make this transition.

What is not supposed to happen is for you to become conscious during paralysis.

It could be related to diet. Might want to check into what you are eating.

That is scary.

I wake up a lot of the time when that twitch happens. It startles me awake.

meta-ghost
Jan 16, 2004, 07:19 PM
my father died when i was young and our mother raised the family on her own. way, way back when i was in high school i worked at a gas station. well, one evening (a thursday night) as i was getting ready to close shop a fellow drives up with an old station wagon full of firewood for sale (say 1-1/2 cord of oak). it looked good, i called my mother and we agreed to buy it. he followed me home and we unloaded it, my mother paid.

the next day i left town on a surfing trip south of santa cruz. while on the trip i woke from a dream where i was returning home from school and was about to unlock the front door. instead i had the feeling that someone was in the rear of the house trying to break in. i walk around to the back and see the fellow we bought the wood from with another person trying to break in.

i return from my trip late sunday evening, go to school and then work without talking to my mother. monday evening i'm in the kitchen and hear my mother yelling. turned out she was having a bad dream. the next morning i asked her what the dream was. she said "hey, remember the guy who sold us the wood? i was dreaming he was trying to break into my bedroom window."

my jaw dropped then i told her my dream about he and another trying to do the same.

the kicker? turned out while i was away that weekend, he had returned with a friend to try to sell some more wood to my mother...

jefhatfield
Jan 17, 2004, 02:34 PM
i once met a homeless drug addict who said...i know michael jackson

later on through getting to know her family, very rich family, i found out this was true as well as all her other far fetched sounding stories...he he...money can buy you a lot of bizzare realities

in a nearby college town, there are a lot of homeless hippies on the street, and many of these kids go to the local university and beg in their free time, play bongos, smoke pot openly, and get harrassed by cops...and many of those kids are rich or from rich families...it's almost a stereotype of a certain type of grateful dead fan:p