PDA

View Full Version : British Citizens/inhabitants....please help!

teabgs
Jan 11, 2004, 09:07 PM
I am applying for a job In Bristol. They want to know what my salary expectations are. Here is the problem...I've only been in the UK twice, and not for very long periods of time.

I currently live in New York City, and I know what I would ask for here, but I don't want to just convert that to pounds. My question is, what should I expect the cost of living to be while there if I get the job? I don't really know what things cost, utilities, housing, food, transportation, etc. I also have no idea of salary ranges in the UK, though if I knew what my expenses would be...more or less....I could roughly guesstimate, I guess.

so does anyone have any helpful advice on this? thank you so much!!
I really appreciate it!

robbieduncan
Jan 12, 2004, 02:31 AM
What sort of job? The salary range will obviously be linked to the job you are applying for. You will get paid more for being a doctor than a bin man!

I assume you will be renting a place to live rather thatn buying, at least to start with. This will probably be your largest expense. I'll try and get some links to good sites for this.

Utilities: depends on the supplier (yes you should have a choice). I currently pay arround 100 a quarter for gas and electricity combined (2 bed flat with quite a lot of electronic stuff). Phone is pretty much not used! Mobile (cell) phones are quite reasonable (mine is around 20 a month). ADSL (512kb down, 256 up) is 23 with pipex.

Food. Do you want a list of common stuff and prices? Last time is was in NY it seemed around the same. A pint in London was about the same as NY, Bristol might well be a bit cheaper

Transportation. Do not know about public transport in Bristol but driving is very expensive in the UK. I currently pay over 700 for insurance alone (25 year old white single male). Petrol is much more expensive than the US as well.

Hope that helps. Any specific questions?

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 02:47 AM
thanks for your response...yes, I suppose salary depends on the job...I was wondering what it would cost to live at all though.

The job is as an entry level animator. don't know if you have any idea about that sort of salary.

wow....thats a lot for car insurance. I've heard public transportation in Bristol is pretty decent...let's hope so (if I get the job). Do you have a good driving record? don't mean to be too personal, but it does make a difference. How much do cars cost even? and what if I want to lease a car? And petrol is by the liter, right? what's the average liter cost?

I'd definitely be renting a place...I don't know how long the job would be for, it could be half a year or three years. it depends what job/jobs they would put me on. most stuff in the industry is more project based than time based.

last time I was in london a pint was more expensive...this was recently, and it's because the dollar is sucking right now. ;)

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 03:46 AM
I never really pay much attention to how much I pay for my petrol, whatever it is you have to pay it :rolleyes: so there's not much point worrying about it :( but I *think* it's normally around 75-80p (per ltr) depending where you get it :eek: I pay approx 900 car insurance (20, white male, clean liecence, one *little* :D accident). As for car prices take a look at Autotrader (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/) to see what you can get for your money.

edit: oh yeah, that 900 car insurance is with 60% no claims :eek:

kettle
Jan 12, 2004, 03:55 AM
Lets hope you are getting a job for Bristol City Council, they seem to be the ones making the issue of transport the horriffic issue it is. There is no convienience in owning a car and living/commuting to Bristol, unless you work in the council building on College Green, they have the biggest Free Car park in the city, while at the same time systematically removing all possible stopping places by graffiting the roads with yellow lines, pink tarmac(bus lanes and cycle lanes), traffic lights, sleeping policemen and speed cameras. Bristol was a city built on the carriage trade. The only thing keeping the city afloat and the civil servants in sallary and pension are the extortionate business rates coughed up by the successful night life that has sprung up, (to the west of the city) the result of a shopping area that has seen its retail operations closing with restraunts, bars and clubs opening in their place. The night life seems less dependant on the motor car.:) Cycling is a good option, as long as you have a mountain bike, Bristol is half on a very steep hill. (i'll stop now)

petrol used to be in Gallons but it started to sound so expensive that they went continental on us, now petrol seems much cheaper:) 75 - 80 pence per litre.
Imperial Gallons are Bigger than US Gallons. 4.54609 litres in an Imp. Gallon and 3.785 litres in a US Gallon.

Buying Petrol here would be like paying $4 or more per US Gallon.:)

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 03:58 AM
I notice you both mentioned that you're white when talking about car insurance....Now, that seems very peculiar to me. Does ones ethnicity make a difference in car insurance rates in the UK? I know age and gender make sense...but ethnicity?

I'll check out the autotrader webpage...

how many...uh, km per liter do cars usually get? geez....I dont even have any sense of how far a km is without having to do math.

EDIT....kettle: thanks for the info.

Maybe I can not need a car! yay!!!

$4 /gallon!?!?!?!
:eek: :eek: is that for regular?!?! OH MY GOD. Why does ANYONE drive with prices like that!?! WOW

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
I notice you both mentioned that you're white when talking about car insurance....
Actually I only metioned it because robbieduncan did, I have no idea if it is relevent :)

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:03 AM
$4 /gallon!?!?!?!
:eek: :eek: is that for regular?!?! OH MY GOD. Why does ANYONE drive with prices like that!?! WOW
The price I quoted was for regular unleaded.

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
The price I quoted was for regular unleaded.

sign me up for the mountain bike. :p

holy crap. What are good webpages to look at so I can get an idea of how much I should be spending on rent? I don't want to get ripped off and pay 300 more a month than I need to. BUt I do need an idea of how much a flat costs around bristol so I can figure out what to ask. :confused:

I'm realizing how much I wouldn't know once I got there...if I get there. Like...yellowpages.com What's the equivalent? and for whitepages? ah, so much to figure out if/when....gotta finish the application and reel first though. :D

caveman_uk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:14 AM
Apparently the average wage in the UK is about 16000 though a lot of people earn less than that. I'd guess a bit more for what you're doing but you'd probably get more in the states. Income tax is banded and the first 4500 is tax free then the next 2000 at 10% then the next 27500 at 22% (i think). Every thing above about 34000 is at 40%. We also pay national insurance at around 9%. So guess on paying at least a quarter to a third of your salary in tax.

Most purchases except food and childrens clothes attract VAT (sales tax) at 17.5%. Food is more expensive in the UK than the US. Beer is quite expensive at about 1 a can (half litre) in shops and at 2-2.50 in pubs.

Driving is extortionate. You pay about 80pence a litre for petrol and (IIRC) 130 a year Road Tax. Car insurance for me is 300 for a small Ford. (I'm 33, married and have a 70% discount as I've not had an accident in years). It's very often cheaper to fly than drive or get the train.

I don't know about Bristol but in the South East outside London I'd guess on around 400-600 per month rental on a small flat / apartment.

Are you wondering how we afford to live here yet?!?!?! :(

caveman_uk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:16 AM
..if I get there. Like...yellowpages.com What's the equivalent? and for whitepages?
yell.com

What's whitepages?

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
yell.com

What's whitepages?
whitepages is for people. Yellow is businesses.

Are you wondering how we afford to live here yet?!?!?!

haha. New York is pretty expensive my friend. my expenses now are at least $1500/month which is about 2760/month. so, it doesnt seem too bad to me. of course, a lot of that is student loan money, so i'm not making that money yet...once I'm out of school my expenses will be a bit higher...I figure around $2000-2400/month. So, I'm used to the idea of getting my wallet destroyed

I'm not sure how the tax would work, being foreign. I guess I just pay UK tax and not US....I better not have to pay any US taxes...

the thing is, I'd do this job for just enough to keep me alive to do it...but i'd rather make enough to at least pay off my student loans at the same time.

If I can do without a car that's great. and I don't need internet at home...*sigh*

I imagine I'd only be in the 10% tax area. that's not too bad...it's a little less than the amount in taxes I end up paying here...and I hardly make anything working for the university.

the national insurance....is that health insurance? What does that cover?

thanks everyone!

kettle
Jan 12, 2004, 04:34 AM
$4 /gallon!?!?!?!

You have to drive, there is no other way. I live in the middle of nowhere, the agricultural industry has beed obitorated and my only source of income is via commuting to and from the nearest big city. There are lots of buses to everywhere, none of them arrive when you need them or travel between the required locations, they are too expensive and of the people who do travel at least one will have a hygiene problem capable of polluting the entire vehicle. Have I mentioned care in the community?

Regular unleaded is what i quoted. 4star petrol (LRP)(5 star was gotten rid of in the 70's) is about 10 pence above unleaded price.

When interest rates go up (they will) you will see the largest civil unrest ever experienced in the UK. (People have borrowed up to their necks because this is the easiest way to survive in the U.K.). This is when they will force us to give up our Sovereignty and bow to the Europian Soviet yet to be fully empowered.

caveman_uk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:41 AM
New York is pretty expensive my friend. my expenses now are at least $1500/month which is about 2760/month. so, it doesnt seem too bad to me. .

Wrong way round I'm afraid. 1=$1.80.

So $1500 = 833

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:42 AM

Wrong way round I'm afraid. 1=$1.80.

So $1500 = 833
haha, yeah, the $ is getting p0wnd by the :p :D

caveman_uk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:44 AM

I imagine I'd only be in the 10% tax area. that's not too bad...it's a little less than the amount in taxes I end up paying here...and I hardly make anything working for the university.

the national insurance....is that health insurance? What does that cover?

thanks everyone!
The 10% tax means earning between 4500 and 6500 upto $10000 a year. That's nothing. You might as well be getting welfare.

National Insurance is a tax that supposedly pays for the state health system and pensions etc....

caveman_uk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by kettle

When interest rates go up (they will) you will see the largest civil unrest ever experienced in the UK. (People have borrowed up to their necks because this is the easiest way to survive in the U.K.). This is when they will force us to give up our Sovereignty and bow to the Europian Soviet yet to be fully empowered.
Oh dear, should have thought of that when they borrowed more than they could afford. Personally I haven't so I won't be sorry for those that we're too stupid not to.

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 04:49 AM
This is when they will force us to give up our Sovereignty and bow to the Europian Soviet yet to be fully empowered.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Nooooooooooooooo! ****** Europe! I don't want the Euro, I like my pounds that you very much :mad:

robbieduncan
Jan 12, 2004, 04:50 AM
I mentioned the "white thing" as this is a question you answer on the forms you fill in for insurance so I assume that it may make a difference (probably not a good one!). I have a perfect driving record: no points on my license (i.e. no speeding tickets etc) and no accidents.

Also we still use miles here! Petrol is sold in liters yet all road signs are in miles. Mad eh!

National Insurance covers the NHS, state pension and benifits. Basically if you are ill you will get treated on the NHS for free but not always quickly! You can wait months for an operation. You also need to pay for prescription medicines (unless you are unemployed or old in which case I think it is cheaper or free).

On the tax front I'm not sure whether you would pay local tax or US taxes...

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 12, 2004, 04:51 AM
Yeah - not good to borrow on the old credit...

...unless you wanted to buy onto the property ladder, that is.

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 04:54 AM
a few things...

1) obviously you can see that I'm not terribly good at math. This is why I make images.

2) I thought that the tax was 10% until you make 27500...though after (maybe) doing the math, if the salaries are about equal to US ones, then I would be getting more than 27500. Oh well, who need money anyway. as long as I can do what I love...and eat.

3) not that it matters now...but I thought it was 1.84 $ per . ...stupid dollar. That was an awesome part of my last london trip :p :(

story time: I was actually in london (my first time) when Bush announced the war...I hadn't converted my money into yet, and figured I'd do it the next day...not knowing the announcement was coming. (I was coming from amsterdam, so I had not been up on news) Should have paid the fee and NOT waited to goto American Express when it opened the next day. I lost a good deal of money over night..

edit: Could someone make a call to bristol for me (if it wont cost you anything)? I tried calling because I have a few questions about the application...but it keeps telling me that the call cannot be completed as dialed. But I dont know why...what if it's the phone card I'm using and the phone number IS valid...?
I just want to know if it is a working number or not....you can hang up right away :D :p

Chappers
Jan 12, 2004, 05:20 AM
And don't even think about buying a Mac here (or any other electronics) cus you'll be in for another shock.
Bristol is very nice and the people are friendly.

Even iLife will cost you $72 (39) here

Good luck

Apparently the average Brit pays about 39% in various taxes (hidden and not so hidden)

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 05:25 AM
teabgs, what's the number?

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Chappers
And don't even think about buying a Mac here (or any other electronics) cus you'll be in for another shock.
Bristol is very nice and the people are friendly.

Even iLife will cost you $72 (39) here

Good luck

Apparently the average Brit pays about 39% in various taxes (hidden and not so hidden)

I'll be bringing my mac with me...and other electronics of course.

I can't use a british keyboard anyway...It slows me down with all the keys in different places. ;)

I can hook you up with iLife for $29...education discount baby! We should start an underground iLife ring between the US and UK :p :p :cool:

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 05:35 AM
I can hook you up with iLife for $29...education discount baby! We should start an underground iLife ring between the US and UK :p :p :cool:
Where do I send the money? $29 = 15.65 http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 05:48 AM
Where do I send the money? $29 = 15.65 http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif

haha! first check your pm inbox..I emailed you the number...then we'll talk....

;) :D

..it isnt safe to talk here...the officials might try to catch on to the product before it gets smuggled in...

doesn't a CD cost about 15? what a rip off...

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 05:54 AM
haha! first check your pm inbox..I emailed you the number...then we'll talk....
Done, you check yours :)
doesn't a CD cost about 15? what a rip off...
Who told you that? My last lot of CD-R's were about 36p each w/ proper jewel cases, much cheaper than that if you get them on a spindle.

iGav
Jan 12, 2004, 05:57 AM
I don't now the exact amounts for a entry level animator, but as a guide from other creative fields, Junior positions command generally between 17k and 20k, I guess that'd be a benchmark, 20k really isn't all that bad as a starting salary.

Speak to Afonso, he works at Framestore CFC in Soho, so he'd be able to give you a good guide as to what to expect, although it's worth considering that most companies in London pay more (weighting) because the general cost of living, travelling etc is X times more expensive.

What company in Bristol?? 4:2:2??

iGav
Jan 12, 2004, 05:59 AM
Done, you check yours :)

Who told you that? My last lot of CD-R's were about 36p each w/ proper jewel cases, much cheaper than that if you get them on a spindle.

He meant music CD's I think.... :p well I hope he did!! heheheh

Some CD's are in th 15 region, but out of the big 3 (HMV, Virgin, Tower) atleast one of them has a sale on at anyone time, so 9.99 to 13 is a better guide, not that much difference granted... but there you go.

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 06:14 AM
yes...I meant Audio CD's. thats what I remember from Heathrow anyway :p

I'll pm afonso.

Edesign...check yo pm again brotha!

iGav: It's Aardman. The cat's outta the bag... what's 4:2:2? a CG studio?

theres a few other UK based studios i'll apply to in a few months if I dont get this gig...ScaryCat Studios, Mckinnon & Saunders, Loose Moose, HOT!...to name a few.

those places don't have a deadline for applications, nor are they openly hiring.

iGav
Jan 12, 2004, 06:22 AM
iGav: It's Aardman. The cat's outta the bag... what's 4:2:2? a CG studio?

theres a few other UK based studios i'll apply to in a few months if I dont get this gig...ScaryCat Studios, Mckinnon & Saunders, Loose Moose, HOT!...to name a few.

those places don't have a deadline for applications, nor are they openly hiring.

Aardman... nice.... okay then, so it's traditional Animation then as opposed to all the CG stuff??

Have you thought about Jim Hensons Creatire Workshop in Camden, London... I was given an out of hours tour around their facilities, and it's truly incredible.... they do THE WORKS.... you name it, and they have it.... ;)

Even the Sugar Puff Monster.... :D

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
Aardman... nice.... okay then, so it's traditional Animation then as opposed to all the CG stuff??

Have you thought about Jim Hensons Creatire Workshop in Camden, London... I was given an out of hours tour around their facilities, and it's truly incredible.... they do THE WORKS.... you name it, and they have it.... ;)

Even the Sugar Puff Monster.... :D

I do CG as well, but my heart isn't in it. Only my wallet ;)

It's interesting that you call stop motion traditional. But that's my passion, and IMO what i'm best at. I'm working on getting my CG animation as good...I think i finally figured it out, but I need to finish this exercise I started to truly know.

I actually havent thought about Henson's. I thought they only did animatronics....I'll look into it.

I'm still cutting my reel, and you can see what I have, but for some reason my webpage isnt up right now, but when it is...it's 9.5 MB, but this (http://www.mindoverpixels.com/movies/halfreel.mov) should be the link to the first half of my reel as it is now. as long as my webpage comes back up...I wish I could call my host and yell at them but that'd be another UK expensive call :p

iGav
Jan 12, 2004, 06:44 AM
It's interesting that you call stop motion traditional. But that's my passion, and IMO what i'm best at. I'm working on getting my CG animation as good...I think i finally figured it out, but I need to finish this exercise I started to truly know.

When you said Animation, for some reason I immediately thought CGI... not traditional, and not cell-based....

It's a rare day when you come accross someone wanting to go into Stop Motion... that's cool... Aardman have an incredible reputation, I can't remember why, but Nick Parks has something to do with my old college, I forget...

Passion is good... it's also a rare day when I actually meet someone who is passionate about what they do, pretty much everyone I know dislikes what they do... I can't understand that myself... doing something you don't love and have a passion for....

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 06:51 AM
When you said Animation, for some reason I immediately thought CGI... not traditional, and not cell-based....

It's a rare day when you come accross someone wanting to go into Stop Motion... that's cool... Aardman have an incredible reputation, I can't remember why, but Nick Parks has something to do with my old college, I forget...

Passion is good... it's also a rare day when I actually meet someone who is passionate about what they do, pretty much everyone I know dislikes what they do... I can't understand that myself... doing something you don't love and have a passion for....

where'd you goto school? I know theres a school specifically somewhere near bristol that aardman has good connections with. They also do CG there btw.

EDIT: the server is up, so you can check it out....it's a work in progress though...those are shots from my senior film...which I'm still filming. And there are some After effects and CG elements missing from every shot. Also, some shots will have a drawn character in them as well. It will all be noted in my breakdown sheet....but you dont have that do you?

and the compression turned it into rectangular pixels somehow....so it's a little distorted....gah.

amnesiac1984
Jan 12, 2004, 07:10 AM
Just thought I'd chime in as I live in bristol.

CD's don't always cost 15 in fact Bristol has a wealth of independent record shops with very good prices (10 or less for most good CD's). Check out Park street for the best record shops.

If you live IN bristol you won't need a car. Kettle lives in somerset (outside) and thats why he needs a car. In the city the busses are good, especially in the gloucester road and redland/clifton areas.

I share a flat with two guys and ew pay 70 a week each, this is high end student accomadation so I'm not sure how it works out for others.

Word of warning try to get a private landlord whose not osme big shot ******* like mine. Bristol is full of em and they are bastards!

Pints are about half what they cost in london, big soulless bars like weatherspoons are the cheapest but they royally suck. I can highly recomend the Old Duke Jazz pub in king street for wicked music and heaving atmosphere.

Check out http://www.itchybristol.co.uk/ for guide of places to go. Do you know whereabouts you will be working and I'll give you an idea about places to start looking for accomadation.

Oh and aardman? they are linked with my University and one of the profs over in that part is an old family friend. He wrote a successful book about macs and the digital media revolution in the mid nineties. (He's a prof of digital media)

edit: i just looked up where the studios are, they are south of the river not far from the centre, a pretty cool area. Not sure about transport around there though.

zoetropeuk
Jan 12, 2004, 07:12 AM
If you think NY is expensive then just wait until you move to the UK. The way some services are priced just baffles me.

I've done a little research to try and find a comparative job in New York to the job I used to have in London. I did this to give you an idea of the salary differences between the US and the UK. The job I found was in a similar size and type of company and the requirements were almost identical.

Salary figures
UK: 40k - US: $95k (56k)

Take home monthly income
UK:2422 ................US6319(3725)
(79.62/day).............($207.72/day)(122/day)

So just from the salary figures, a senior Coldfusion/Flash/.net developer earns 52% more money at the end of the month. This seems to be the trend with other jobs I looked up as well. The above figures are after tax.

Plus the job in NY come with full private medical plus a host of other benefits. My job in the UK had NO additional benefits whatsoever plus most companies DO NOT PAY for overtime unlike the US.

Now to the cost of living. I personally feel the best way to compare cities and countries is to work out how many days you have to work to be able to afford to buy your favourite products and services eg

Stock standard Dual G5 with 20"LCD

UK - 3,348.00 (42 days)
US - $4,298.00 (21 days)

Nikon D2H

UK - 2800 (36 days )
US - $3200 (16 days)

BMW M3 Coupe

UK - 40,000 (503 days)
US - $47,100 (226 days)

Therefore I have to work twice as long in the UK to be able to afford a sparkly new G5, 2.25x as long for my digicam and 2.25x as long for my car. See the trend, living in the UK sucks.

Rent in Bristol will be cheaper then NY and cheaper then London but you'd be looking at 500-800 month for somewhere reasonably comfortable. Just make sure you don't have to travel by train, the UK rail system is the worst and most expensive piece of crap ever constructed. I used to travel from Oxford to London on the train everyday. That's around trip of about 90 miles.

My yearly ticket including the tube (subway) worked out to around 4075 yes you actually read that correctly 4075 for a fickin train ticket and some mornings I had to stand for 90 minutes. That's roughly $7500 just to get to work. And as one previous reply mentioned most people have to travel to London as it's just to god damn expensive to live there.

I could list 000's of other examples of the cost of living in the UK but it should be obvious from the above. You will just have to learn to live a more modest lifestyle. Why do you think we spend so much time in the pub ? It's just too expensive to do much else, and I had (not anymore) a salary above the average (the average for London is 27k).

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 07:21 AM
ok...for the record....I havent even sent my application yet, so I dont know which location I'd be at IF ANY. Also, who knows when I'll be getting there....IF

As for living more modest....seriously. I dont have anywhere close to an extravagent lifestyle. I sit in my room and animate most of the time. Or I'm going to class or work. the rest of the time (not much time mind you) I just watch TV and movies at home with my gf. and I can live cheaper if need be.

I don't do this for the money. As long as I'd have enough to live on it's worth it to me. I'd learn SO MUCH, and gain so much as an artist, storyteller, and especially as an animator. There is no price that can be put on that.

I've wanted to work there for almost a decade, and they're partially responsible for me deciding this is what I wanted to do when I was 10 years old. This studio has basically set me on the course of my entire life. as long as I can eat, sleep relatively comfortably...my room now is only 11 feet by 9 feet, and half of thaat is my set...and if I can get this job. That's all I need to be happy.

I'd be MUCH happier than if I was doing CG and making $150,000/year right out of school.

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 07:21 AM
So...um...zoetropeuk, it's safe to say you don't like the UK much then? :D

zoetropeuk
Jan 12, 2004, 07:43 AM
So...um...zoetropeuk, it's safe to say you don't like the UK much then?
Coming from OZ where I could afford to eat out everynight, buy the latest gadgets, have a nice car etc it just takes time to adjust.

If it wasn't for my british gf I'd probably go home tomorrow.

I just can't understand how it can cost as much to catch the train from Oxford to London as it does to fly from London to Paris. Something is seriously f?cked !

But I do love being able to travel to Europe and the US so cheaply though. So I guess the travel experiences more than makes up for the lack of stuff.

amnesiac1984
Jan 12, 2004, 07:50 AM
ok...for the record....I havent even sent my application yet, so I dont know which location I'd be at IF ANY. Also, who knows when I'll be getting there....IF

As for living more modest....seriously. I dont have anywhere close to an extravagent lifestyle. I sit in my room and animate most of the time. Or I'm going to class or work. the rest of the time (not much time mind you) I just watch TV and movies at home with my gf. and I can live cheaper if need be.

I don't do this for the money. As long as I'd have enough to live on it's worth it to me. I'd learn SO MUCH, and gain so much as an artist, storyteller, and especially as an animator. There is no price that can be put on that.

I've wanted to work there for almost a decade, and they're partially responsible for me deciding this is what I wanted to do when I was 10 years old. This studio has basically set me on the course of my entire life. as long as I can eat, sleep relatively comfortably...my room now is only 11 feet by 9 feet, and half of thaat is my set...and if I can get this job. That's all I need to be happy.

I'd be MUCH happier than if I was doing CG and making $150,000/year right out of school.

I think you should be okay, on their website aardman said they are looking for animators and stop motion from trainee to expert. If you do get a job there and come in contact with anyone on the audio side of things I'm looking for placements, ;)

iGav
Jan 12, 2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by zoetropeuk

BMW M3 Coupe

UK - 40,000 (503 days)
US - $47,100 (226 days)

love it.... :p

zoetropeuk
Jan 12, 2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by zoetropeuk and replied to by iGAV
BMW M3 Coupe

UK - 40,000 (503 days)
US - $47,100 (226 days)

love it....
You love that, then look at how expensive the same car is in Australia. To work out the no# days in OZ I've taken a salary of $85K which is roughly what I might expect if any jobs were actually available.

OZ - $149,000 OTR (980 days)
UK - 40,000 (503 days)
US - $47,100 (226 days)

Why should it take me FOUR TIMES as long to be able to afford exactly the same car doing exactly the same job but just in a different country ?

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
I think you should be okay, on their website aardman said they are looking for animators and stop motion from trainee to expert. If you do get a job there and come in contact with anyone on the audio side of things I'm looking for placements, ;)

yeah....I'm applying for (and crossing my fingers) a job as a trainee. I don't have that 18 months experience in the real world yet...so that disqualifies me from anything BUT a trainee.

I prefer to go as a trainee anyway...you get a 4-5 weeks Aardman animation course. then they put you to work, and they give you a mentor. Basically, they stick you with a senior animator who shows you the ropes and whatnot. and you do some of the bitch work...but it's important work to do. you need to know how everything is put together to properly animate a puppet.

I don't know if I'll be ok...I mean, I think my stuff is pretty good, but who knows how many positions they need to fill, or how good the others' work is?

I'm not holding my breath...yet I am. the worst part is that I want this job SO BADLY, and I know I'll have to wait at least 2 months till I (maybe) hear back from them. IF they're not interested you dont even get to know that....you just never ever hear from them.

if I get the job I'll be sure to let you know. I'm still trying to figure out what to ask as far as salary...I don't need to have it down tomorrow, but I do want to send everything out ASAP, cause you never know what might happen and I want time to re-send everything if need be.

gotta finish cutting the reel so I can convert it to PAL as well as finishing the actual application though...

jelloshotsrule
Jan 12, 2004, 01:26 PM
i'd say to make sure you let them know in a cover letter what you posted before... how much the studio itself has influenced your career choice and how much of a dream it is of yours to work there..

without sounding like you're groveling of course....

good luck dawg

teabgs
Jan 12, 2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i'd say to make sure you let them know in a cover letter what you posted before... how much the studio itself has influenced your career choice and how much of a dream it is of yours to work there..

without sounding like you're groveling of course....

good luck dawg

yeah...I'm trying to figure out the exact wording to use to show how much I want to work there...yet at the same time I'm not some obsessed freak.

thanks for the luck...I may need it.

Nermal
Jan 12, 2004, 08:34 PM
now petrol seems much cheaper:) 75 - 80 pence per litre.

:eek: :eek:

It's about $1.05 (40p) per litre here, I can't see how anyone could justify paying 75p for it!! I had heard that stuff was expensive over there, but I had no idea it was that bad.

As for iLife, 39 isn't too bad, it's about 51 here.

And your roadsigns are in miles? I thought the kilometre was a British invention, and that you'd actually use it :rolleyes:

robbieduncan
Jan 13, 2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
And your roadsigns are in miles? I thought the kilometre was a British invention, and that you'd actually use it :rolleyes:

Miles (and the whole imperial measurement system) are a British invention. I think that kilometers (and the rest of the metric system) are a French invention.

teabgs
Jan 13, 2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
Miles (and the whole imperial measurement system) are a British invention. I think that kilometers (and the rest of the metric system) are a French invention.

ah...something else to get mad at the french for eh?

nah...i'm just kidding...I dont have any thing against the metric system. :p ;)

*note* the wink means i'm joking.....I really have nothing against either the metric system or the french...wish I didn't feel like I have to put a disclaimer up though. whatever.

Nermal
Jan 13, 2004, 03:36 AM

OK, I learn something every day :) I knew the imperial system was British, but I thought that the metric system was British too.

robbieduncan
Jan 13, 2004, 04:10 AM
OK, I learn something every day :) I knew the imperial system was British, but I thought that the metric system was British too.

Looks like it wasn't that clear cut: http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/dates.htm

The actual treaty that gave rise to the meter was signed in France though.

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 04:13 AM

The metric system has been part of the "lets take over the U.K. with red tape" invasion plan.:)

It's success or failure is down to a phenomenon best described as "They can sew up our mouths but they can't stop us humming"

Most things of importance except for Super Market/Highstreet groceries are still refered to by Imperial Measure. Which is nice.:)

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 04:49 AM
What are you on about Kettle. Any system which isn't metric is just insanity. I look forward to the day when we go metric instead of using some archaic system where 1609 metres= 1 miles. What the ****** is that about, if you want to keep an archaic system vote Tory. 1 KM= 1000 metres, hm that does sound logical. And as for the pound...the pound was introduced by the romans, and was simply the old euro, or do you want to go forward?

caveman_uk
Jan 13, 2004, 07:19 AM
Don't worry it's just part of his daily 'Rant about the EU' quota... sorry I mentioned quotas. They're from the EU as well.

For the record.

/s/d sucked
stones/lbs/ounces sucked
acres sucked
yards/feet/inches also sucked especially when you started getting to 3/16ths of an inch and all that silliness. Er sorry, it's imperial. We didn't think we'd ever have to measure anything smaller than an inch!!

What's so damn hard about metric?

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Purple Worm
And as for the pound...the pound was introduced by the romans, and was simply the old euro, or do you want to go forward?

the question you should ask is how much more difficult will controlling our country be when we have to go to Brussells to bow down to the high and mighty, when we are finding difficult enough bowing at the palace of Westminster?

If this was an iTMS UK problem it would have been sorted sooner than the grim soup of Europe will ever muster.

and caveman... 1/3 or 0.33333333333

caveman_uk
Jan 13, 2004, 07:51 AM

and caveman... 1/3 or 0.33333333333
And a micron in inches is? Do you have a nanoinch? Didn't think so.

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 09:07 AM
The euro thing aside, anything but metric is just stupid and we should catch up with other countries. I mean people like the Imperial measurements because they find something warm about it all and so do I but I'm also a modernist.

Anyone with an arguement against the euro is one thing (still bloody annoying people) but those who just spout 'We just want to keep our pound'... get a life.

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 09:17 AM
oh good lord

edesignuk
Jan 13, 2004, 09:21 AM
... get a life.
bite me http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/tard.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/wtf.gif

teabgs
Jan 13, 2004, 09:27 AM
Hey...I'm sorry to interrupt...but its just measurement. It's not that important.

know what IS important? figuring out how many 's to ask for .... :p

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 09:35 AM
Err, yeah sorry about that. Just trying to do as many posts as possible at the moment hehe

edesignuk
Jan 13, 2004, 09:40 AM
Just trying to do as many posts as possible at the moment hehe
Be careful, the powers that be don't like http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/spam.gif ;) :)

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 09:41 AM
Really?

iGav
Jan 13, 2004, 09:41 AM
Hey...I'm sorry to interrupt...but its just measurement. It's not that important.

Yey... sense... ;)

Or you could all just learn both like me... does come in handy.... ;)

teabgs... if I were you I'd consider the 15k to 17k region, I think that is a fair amount....

It's a hard one to call, because of the role description, you'll be there in a learning capacity as well, in which case it's kind of comparable to some runners positions which are either not paid or low wage because you get the benefit to use all the facilities when they're not in project use...

I'd still say 15k to 17k, but it could be less.... did Afonso have any suggestions??

teabgs
Jan 13, 2004, 09:42 AM
Err, yeah sorry about that. Just trying to do as many posts as possible at the moment hehe

nah it's cool...I'm just getting sick of reading about which system is better...

edit: iGav, we were writing at the same time I guess :p

I haven't heard back from Afonso :(

But I've managed to find I have a contact who has a friend that recently started at Aardman....so I'll be emailing her shortly. Should be able to get a bunch of my questions answered...I hope. Maybe give me a leg up on the application/interview (if that time comes). :D

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 09:44 AM
Sorry Teabgs, great icon by the way

edesignuk
Jan 13, 2004, 10:00 AM
Really?

Really, if you http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/spam.gif your posts/threads may get deleted by the mods, and you may be...:eek: banned :eek:

Oh, and they don't like off topic posts either, ooops! :D Just have a skim over the rules and you'll be fine :)

Chappers
Jan 13, 2004, 10:02 AM
I live and work in Cambidge which is horribly expensive. Bristol is however catching up fast. Cambridge University do a cost of living page for Cambridge (obviously) and I doubt Bristol is much different. It didn't seem to be when I was there last summer.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/tenants/costofliving.html

Good luck

teabgs
Jan 13, 2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Chappers
I live and work in Cambidge which is horribly expensive. Bristol is however catching up fast. Cambridge University do a cost of living page for Cambridge (obviously) and I doubt Bristol is much different. It didn't seem to be when I was there last summer.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/tenants/costofliving.html

Good luck

well...I'm about to goto sleep...yes it's 11am, but I got up at 6pm yesterday... shooting schedule...dont ask ;)

but I took a quick glance at that link and it looks great! I'll definitely take a good look at it when I get up...at 8pm. :D THANKS!!

robbieduncan
Jan 13, 2004, 10:31 AM
http://www.uwe.ac.uk/international/living.shtml

Provides some cost of living details for international student in Bristol. They think you'll need around 6000 to live on (I think you will need more as they are no doubt using University Halls or similar to get the Accommodation cost of 2500).

amnesiac1984
Jan 13, 2004, 10:41 AM
http://www.uwe.ac.uk/international/living.shtml

Provides some cost of living details for international student in Bristol. They think you'll need around 6000 to live on (I think you will need more as they are no doubt using University Halls or similar to get the Accommodation cost of 2500).

hey this is my UNI we're talking about. No doubt they just made up those numbers out of nowhere as they are utterly useless.! :D

I'm paying way more than that for accomadation , even with halls last year.

Concert tickets are not included, wtf? THis is an essential cost, and it costs between 5 and 30 a week depending on how many and how big the shows are, Bristol is second only to London in its variety of live music.

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 11:24 AM
Oh no edesignuk my life may be ruined!

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 11:42 AM

Hey wormy! feel free to spam/flame me, if it's for a good cause then I've got me fire proof trousers on.:) If you really feel the need for an Avatar then you could try HERE (http://forums.edesignuk.net), I'm sure edesign would happy to accomodate yer needs.

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 11:49 AM
Bristol is second only to London in its variety of live music.

I agree, who would have thought Canada's heaviest would reduce the bierkeller to rubble! Strapping Young Lad, March 16th last year.:)

iGav
Jan 13, 2004, 12:28 PM
Bristol is second only to London in its variety of live music.

Bristol has a great Jazz and Dub/Soundsystem scene, but it's club scene leaves alot to be desired....

Manchester and Leeds are right there with it though....;)

amnesiac1984
Jan 13, 2004, 01:00 PM
Bristol has a great Jazz and Dub/Soundsystem scene, but it's club scene leaves alot to be desired....

Manchester and Leeds are right there with it though....;)

What exactly do you mean by 'club' scene?

The big cheesy clubs in bristol are big and cheesy with wank music but isn't that what they're supposed to be? I'm talking about small venues with DJ's MC's and bands coming form all over to perform really ********** good music.

Word kettle, for me Canada's finest was Buck 65 in the Thekla some time last term. Along with DJ Yoda, Rephlex (aka aphex twin's record label) and many other nights that I can't remember for obvious reasons.

As for the club scene, its more drum & bass and you find a heavy DnB night on every night in somewhere Bristol.

V.A.Toss
Jan 13, 2004, 01:11 PM
what on earth???

Bristol has an amazing club scene. The home of drum and bass, and trip hop (dont even think about telling me trip hops dead, cos it aint in the clubs). Bristol itself was marked by the guardian as the most up and coming city in england.

Manc is good for clubbing, but too much trance, cheese, and house are played. Still if you look hard enough youll find a gooden.

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 01:16 PM
What the bloody hell are you on about Kettle?

V.A.Toss
Jan 13, 2004, 01:20 PM
Youll find crap clubs in every city these days. The mark of a good clubscene is whether there are smaller gigs that you have to look a little for.

Im lucky to have been clubbing when clubbing wasnt quite so commercial like it is now.

amnesiac1984
Jan 13, 2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by V.A.Toss
what on earth???

Bristol has an amazing club scene. The home of drum and bass, and trip hop (dont even think about telling me trip hops dead, cos it aint in the clubs). Bristol itself was marked by the guardian as the most up and coming city in england.

Manc is good for clubbing, but too much trance, cheese, and house are played. Still if you look hard enough youll find a gooden.

too right, i'm gonna list the clubs in bristol that are bad-ass, (if I can think of em).

Thekla (my favourite, its a ship for christ sake!)
Blue Mountain (saw RJD2 there, bad!)
acutally come to think of it, there are lots more but I've not been to many others. I usually go to the thekla or Fez if there is some hip-hop or drum n bass on.

perhaps someone could help me out? :D

edit: oh yeah Bar Latino, Arc Bar and Wall street have had some wicked nights, (although they are quite small clubs).

iGav
Jan 13, 2004, 02:37 PM
What exactly do you mean by 'club' scene?

The big cheesy clubs in bristol are big and cheesy with wank music but isn't that what they're supposed to be? I'm talking about small venues with DJ's MC's and bands coming form all over to perform really ********** good music.

the 'cool' counter culture club scene, not the cheeseball like Jumpin' Jacks and the like... :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissin' Bristol I spent alot of the mid-late '90's there, but it's clubbing scene isn't IMHO mind blowing... you struggle to find more than a handfull of top drawer nights...

It's Jazz and Dub/SoundSystem scene is second to none, better than London... no worries!

Leeds has a better alternative rock scene, but it's club scene has died somewhat since the early/mid '90's and Manchester does have some good ***** going down too... even post Hacienda... we won't go into Brum but I'm sure I'll be forgiven for that!! heheheh!

TripHop ain't dead, but then it was never really TripHop, that was a crappy term coined by the UK mainstream press.... I know people that'd throw you off Clifton Suspension bridge for even calling it TripHop.... :eek: :p :p :p

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 02:59 PM
Thekla (my favourite, its a ship for christ sake!)

Wow, is the Thekla still foating? I thought it got burnt out mid 90's, My last proper visit onboard was for a sixth form Vicar/tarts party in about 1990.

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 03:09 PM
What the bloody hell are you on about Kettle?

...about getting as many posts as possible, you're trying to get an Avatar as quickly as you can. I thought that link would enable you to get an intermediate reward for posting. You can have an avatar straight away there, thus giving you time an oppertunity to find exactly the right design for your macrumors avatar when you get enough posts.:) i'm not trying to mess with your head, it's just friendly information.

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 03:12 PM
Oh r i g h t an avatar. Cheers mate.

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 03:28 PM
Word kettle, for me Canada's finest was Buck 65 in the Thekla some time last term.

yeah, no arguments there, Strapping Young Lad could not be described as "fine" in the usual sense of the word, i deliberately used Heaviest as not to cause confusion. These guys are the heaviest yet majestically musical form of metal to ever pummel my ribcage, layered with melody that seems electro plated in "happy for the end of the world hymn like beauty". It just really makes me smile when I think of how so much anger can be resolved with so little bloodshed. quite a band, but wouldn't win any friends in the finest catagory.:)

amnesiac1984
Jan 13, 2004, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry teabgs, we've hijacked your thread with our fine english banter.

The Thekla is very much still floating and tis proper bo' I tell the. I've only been in Bristol two years so I'm not sure about the burnt out theory, although its so damn damp in there I bet there was a fire it just couldn't survive for long enough to sink the bugger!

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure about the burnt out theory, although its so damn damp in there I bet there was a fire it just couldn't survive for long enough to sink the bugger!

The damp is actually condensed sweat! ha ha! Everything is metal (so much for the burn theory) and with the low ceilings and cramped conditions, wow I forgot about that, is the inside still painted in red oxide rust paint?

as far as topic goes, I don't know where the hell we are, can you see the path? Help! :eek:

Purple Worm
Jan 13, 2004, 04:10 PM
Well I think teabgs going to know the good venues in Bristol! Maybe he could just stay up all night and not bother with permanent residence.

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 04:30 PM
Bench recommendations?:)

amnesiac1984
Jan 13, 2004, 06:42 PM
You mean what bench to sleep on or what Bench hoody to wear? ;)

teabgs
Jan 13, 2004, 07:13 PM
You mean what bench to sleep on or what Bench hoody to wear? ;)

what's a bench hoody?

seriously....half of the stuff you guys are talking about with the clubs makes absolutely no sense to me at all

teabgs ---> :confused:

anyway....I'm down with the jazz, rock, and metal scenes. Not one for techno/DJ's. I don't like clubbing...I like "clubs" that are music clubs though. not just places where a bunch of people go to get sweaty and hit on each other.

kettle
Jan 14, 2004, 04:02 AM
what's a bench hoody?

good question! I know what a bench is and I know what a hoody is, logically a bench hoody would be a puke proof hoody, something tells me I'm barking up the wrong tree.

iGav
Jan 14, 2004, 05:11 AM
good question! I know what a bench is and I know what a hoody is, logically a bench hoody would be a puke proof hoody, something tells me I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Bench is a skate/BMX/SB clothing co. ;)

http://www.benchtm.com/

teabgs, you like Jazz... you'll love Bristol... ;)

teabgs
Jan 14, 2004, 05:17 AM

ah....that'll clear a few things up. hoody means it has a hood on it right?

what kinda jazz do they have there? I'm assuming all kinds but I gotta ask. And I'll love it there IF they offer me a job.

I still gotta send in the application...lets not get ahead of ourselves....I've found out that they only do interviews in person, so I might end up in Bristol anyway in a few months. ....that's the hope anyway :D

I like afro-cuban, bebop, and swing the most for jazz....they got enough of that? what about rock? I like to rock hard as well... :cool:

kettle
Jan 14, 2004, 05:24 AM
what kinda jazz do they have there?
I like afro-cuban, bebop, and swing the most for jazz....they got enough of that?

Bristol native = Acker Bilk

:D

Sabbath
Jan 14, 2004, 06:51 AM

Word kettle, for me Canada's finest was Buck 65 in the Thekla some time last term.

So true, except maybe interchange Canada with World. Luckily Buck65 decided to play Nottingham for once too.

amnesiac1984
Jan 14, 2004, 10:08 AM

I kinda associatethis make with Bristol, I don't know why but everyone here wears it. (I have a very nice fleece)

I think its a Bristol based make. I guess no-one else got it! ;)

amnesiac1984
Jan 14, 2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Sabbath
So true, except maybe interchange Canada with World. Luckily Buck65 decided to play Nottingham for once too.

It was an amazing show, he had Sage Francis and Boom Bip on before him, and I met sage afterwards and bought a CD off him. He's a very cool guy and he started with this wicked country song in homage to Johnny Cash!