PDA

View Full Version : Local Server Hell

thomasmallen
Aug 22, 2008, 08:57 AM
I figured this would be the place to go for MAMP-minded Mac users. Basically, I've been a Mac user for ages, but I'm having a very tough time getting it to meet my development needs. The specific need is for a reliable, configurable local MAMP stack that behaves like most other *AMP servers.

Here's what I've tried:

OSX-bundled Apache and PHP, installed MySQL binary
MacPorts-based server
Completely from source, from scratch
MAMP (as in the software package)

None of them work right, which is a far cry from how easy a good development LAMP stack can be set up on a Debian box. And the kicker is that there's not much turning back once you go the MacPorts or the compile-from-source (manually) route, and I've had the most success when doing the initial server install over a clean Leopard install. Note that these woes go back to Tiger, which I was using when I began doing *AMP development in earnest.

I never was able to get a stack based on the bundled Apache and MySQL to work well, mainly because at the time I had trouble getting PHP to talk to MySQL.
The MacPorts server was probably the best of the bunch, but it builds a ton of duplicate dependencies and I couldn't get mod_python working with it. Also borked /usr/bin/env in certain ways...
Completely from scratch: I learned quite a bit, but the thing barely worked. On a good day, the databases (PGSQL and MySQL) would talk to Apache, but it was generally unreliable.
MAMP has actually been good thus far, until recently when the Drupal CCK module started crashing any site that included it in 5.x. As I only recently started using MAMP.app, I feel that this is probably the tip of the iceburg, and it does make Drupal development near-impossible on my Mac.

Does anyone here use a MAMP development stack built on Leopard? I mostly do PHP and a bit of Python, and I always end up using MySQL for the database side of things. Any specific advice?

I've gotten discouraged, as I've put quite a bit of time into getting a normal MAMP stack running, and still haven't come up with one as "normal" and reliable as the XAMPP stack I setup on my office Windows box that took fifteen minutes (and I'm practically lost when using Windows).