Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arconquit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Hey guys I'm deciding on what laptop to get and right now I'm leaning towards the macbook. I've been a Windows user ever since but the macbook has been more appealing to me. I'm not computer illiterate as I know my way around one really really well. I have a semi-decent gaming computer and a 360 so the macbook won't be used to play games at all. It'll mostly be used for photo finishing and editing, word processing, and surfing the internet.

Would you guys say this is the right choice? I'm hoping that the macbook would last me around 3-4 years? I would obviously have a more up to date pc at home but on the go it would just be the macbook.

Also with September just around the corner would it be worth it to wait? I've been dying to have a macbook but i really don't know if i should wait to get the new models.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
of course it's a smart decision:p

and yes, i would (and am) wait for the new models in sept (hopefully)
It should be more than just a simple speed boost. And i think that once your get used to OSX, you won't really want to move back to XP except for a few games that might require it.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
I have an MB 2.2 Refurb now and love it. I'm holding off on a new work one until the updates. I really like the idea of Alu. Speed, "MEH"...the one I have now is pretty darn fast, so it's not like I need a QUAD Core...but it wouldn't suck... ;)

arconquit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
just wondering but does anyone have a guess when it'll come out in september?

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
just wondering but does anyone have a guess when it'll come out in september?

Nobody really knows. The Back To School promotion (get a free iPod, after rebate, with a new Mac) ends on September 15, leading many to believe it would be after that event; however, Apple has updated product lines towards the end of the promotion before (although they were not elegible), so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I recall the first rumors predicting early or mid September; the last couple have said late September. This morning there was a rumor about the expected iPod updates, and it predicted "two to three weeks," so if they update iPods and Macs simultaneously, that could be when...or it could be totally wrong on both counts.

So nobody really knows, but those are a few guesses. :D

arconquit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
well guys i decided i would buy the macbook now and not wait. I ordered it today and I can't wait for it to come!

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
well guys i decided i would buy the macbook now and not wait. I ordered it today and I can't wait for it to come!
Congrats! That's where I was a couple months ago. I wanted to wait but decided to go ahead and get it to enjoy now. I love having a nice notebook while watching and waiting for the new ones. I am still very interested in a new updated aluminum one but if I don't care for it I still have my MB. Have Fun!

sandro123

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008

Good luck, dude. I had my first Macbook on August the 5th, and to to this day I had three replacement, because of the infamous 9C5B Samsung screen (Yes, all of them). ( If you don't know anything about, you can go here).
Quite suspicious to me, just when the new Macbook is coming soon...
At the end, I have decided to have my money back, don't trust Apple anylonger.
My advice: if your screen seems not to look good (check the transparencies of the drop down menus against safari, say), and kind of grainy, check your screen model. If it's the 9CB5, sent it back, because that's NOT the way it is supposed to look.
Cheers,

Sandro

C8XY

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2008
i was about to purchase the entry level macbook yesterday but thought to check about an updated version, seems there is one coming but (its probably any ones guess) what will the minimum spec be? I have a new iMac so on the move i only need a basic laptop, will they get rid of the combo drive?

I really only need something like the eeepc but i cant live without OSX and the quality of Apple hardware, although the guides on installing OSX on the Asus are interesting of not a little sketchy.

Cant wait for the new macbook! :cool:

arconquit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Good luck, dude. I had my first Macbook on August the 5th, and to to this day I had three replacement, because of the infamous 9C5B Samsung screen (Yes, all of them). ( If you don't know anything about, you can go here).
Quite suspicious to me, just when the new Macbook is coming soon...
At the end, I have decided to have my money back, don't trust Apple anylonger.
My advice: if your screen seems not to look good (check the transparencies of the drop down menus against safari, say), and kind of grainy, check your screen model. If it's the 9CB5, sent it back, because that's NOT the way it is supposed to look.
Cheers,

Sandro

Now I'm scared haha. I've never heard about this and wish I'd had known. But whatever I hope I don't get a samsung screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.