PDA

View Full Version : Unique Laptop location...

dave1234
Jan 11, 2004, 11:39 PM
what is the wierdest/unique/unordinary location you have computed on your laptop?

Myself I would say...in a deer stand in the woods, I wasn't hunting.

straphound
Jan 11, 2004, 11:48 PM
On the toliet!! God bless airport! :D

Kingsnapped
Jan 11, 2004, 11:52 PM
Amen to that Straphound. The best part is, nobody knows when you're talking to them!

Counterfit
Jan 11, 2004, 11:52 PM
ditto straphound! Of course, I mean the bathroom in our townhouse up in New Hampshire (right near where that kid died not too long ago :() I considered messing with the router (A LinkSys with default settings) but I was a good boy ;)

Powerbook G5
Jan 12, 2004, 12:05 AM
There is no way I am taking my $2700 PowerBook near the bathroom. The only thing I'd take with me is a roll of toilet paper, anything else simply doesn't belong.

My PowerBook has only been in my dorm room, in the library, in a few classrooms, in a hotel room, on the plane, and at my parent's house. My old G3 has been to Italy, France, Spain, Monaco, Monte Carlo, just about every corner of the country, and has moved with me 3 times and to two different colleges. Nothing really "different", but it has been everywhere with me. I hope my new PowerBook can give me just as many good reliable years, but with how busy I am along with how poor I am, I doubt it will be traveling quite as much.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 12, 2004, 01:07 AM
On a bus going 60 mph, trying to check my email on a wifi from a passing building. It didn't work.

Powerbook G5
Jan 12, 2004, 01:15 AM
I can just imagine "I got a signal! wait...nevermind...oh wait, I got a signal again! wait, nevermind..." Actually, I found a website that sold these special USB connectors and driver kit for Macintosh computers for users who have Sprint PCS phones to connect with and use the unlimited internet connection provided by the Sprint PCS vision plan. It'd definitely be useful for wireless internet in any major city or highway in the country, but it costs over $100 and I'm simply not away from an internet connection enough to warrant trying it out. I forget the website, I saved it on my other PowerBook back at school. I think it's Blue Mobility or something like that.

MrMickS
Jan 12, 2004, 01:55 AM
In a taxi on the freeway picking up email via my cellphone.

Counterfit
Jan 12, 2004, 10:20 AM
Heh, I almost forgot this one: On a bench in Evans Way Park trying to get onto MassArt's wireless signal so I could download OpenOffice. Then I walked across Huntington Ave and walked around the front of their dorm trying to get a signal there.

jeff.macaddict
Jan 12, 2004, 10:53 AM
I had this one dream where I was using it in a military type helicopter to save the world, or rather shut down microsoft. But then I woke up and realized--damn! I get my PB tomorrow!:D

Stelliform
Jan 12, 2004, 12:43 PM
While I take my Laptop everywhere I can't think of any interesting places. Probably getting on the internet on my sprint phone in a Wendy's parking lot to check a couple of things before I got to the client's office. Or maybe in the waiting room at the car service place when I got my oil changed...

ColoJohnBoy
Jan 12, 2004, 01:11 PM
Well, it's not exactly weird ot strange but I toted my PowerBook and iSight with me to Paris when I went right before Thanksgiving (Yay for cheap fares!) and called up my parents on iChat AV (They got a 20-inch iMac right after it came out. I was so proud! But I digress.)
I was standing on top of La Tour de Montparnasse, using the WiFi of somebody in the building below me, and showed them the view from there - Eiffel Tower, Sacre Couer, Arc du Triomphe - made them all jealous. It was fun in any case. I drew a lot of stares and curious glances from people who wondered just what the hell I was doing.

parrothead
Jan 12, 2004, 01:22 PM
I used my powerbook in the Australian Outback to watch a DVD while car camping at porcupine gorge. Thank God I put it back in its padded bag, cause on the way home, I rolled my truck and about 2 tons of outback dust was coating everthing. Sadly my truck didnt make it, happily my girlfriend (now she's my wife), me, and my powerbook did make it! Then while we were sitting on the side of the road waiting for someone to come by I pulled out the computer to give us something to do. That must have been a sight two red dirt covered people sitting by their overturned land cruiser watching a DVD on a shiney Tibook.

neut
Jan 12, 2004, 01:37 PM
the inside of a bar/club. when your performing no one cares (unless they realize your making music with your laptop), but when your just sitting there at a table writing songs with headphones on...people look at you strange.

peace.

pinto32
Jan 12, 2004, 03:53 PM
Took my old IBM to an amusement park once to show some friends some videos and pictures. (Thats my place of business :))

latergator116
Jan 12, 2004, 04:08 PM
There is no way I am taking my $2700 PowerBook near the bathroom. The only thing I'd take with me is a roll of toilet paper, anything else simply doesn't belong.

And a magazine of course.;)

I took my iBook into my treehouse once. The trehouse had a phone and power. I would just plug the phone line into the iBook and go on the internet. The treehouse also had a pulley system and a waterproof box.

rainman::|:|
Jan 12, 2004, 04:47 PM
well, it's not weird, but i have a tendancy to just wander around place to place while using laptops... i don't even think about it, but i get weird looks sometimes, and i often walk into things and trip up. but i've gotten pretty good at one-handed typing (no jokes, please ;) ) so it works well for me.

i have a feeling i'll be an early adopter of cyborg technologies. i'd kill for a wearable computer with reflective eyepiece display. one like tomb raider 2 would be nice, but i'd settle for one a little less sexy i suppose :D

paul

WinterMute
Jan 12, 2004, 05:05 PM
I spent 2 hours editing video on FCP on a train from Chester to London last year, it was a load of aikido footage from my club.

I just wish I'd had Sountrack, cos the bloke next to me was fascinated and only read about 3 pages of his book, I'd have liked to have played him some music...:D

Counterfit
Jan 12, 2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
There is no way I am taking my $2700 PowerBook near the bathroom. The only thing I'd take with me is a roll of toilet paper, anything else simply doesn't belong. Yeah me neither. But my $2413 PowerBook joins me on a regular basis, especially now that we have wireless there too :D

Counterfit
Jan 12, 2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
And a magazine of course.;)

I took my iBook into my treehouse once. The trehouse had a phone and power. I would just plug the phone line into the iBook and go on the internet. The treehouse also had a pulley system and a waterproof box. That's one kickass treehouse! You sure it wasn't this one (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/shop/ultimate/ult/tre/ULT14KND1002.01.html)?

wish I had a million dollars for that...

Phil Of Mac
Jan 12, 2004, 08:08 PM
At work, right next to the work computer that's hooked up to the Internet too, just because the work computer's a PC ;)

latergator116
Jan 12, 2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
That's one kickass treehouse! You sure it wasn't this one (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/shop/ultimate/ult/tre/ULT14KND1002.01.html)?

wish I had a million dollars for that...

Haha... I wish.

Out treehouse was 3 stories and it also had a roof (though it fell down in the winter) It was pretty high of the ground too. Sadly, we had to take it down when we moved. :(