PDA

View Full Version : Got my first Mac!

Chozo
Aug 22, 2008, 07:14 PM
So I just came home from the Apple store about an hour and a half ago and I just bought the higher end white macbook. I love it!

I don't know much about working it right now but what I know I love. I can only assume it'll get much much better. The chicklet keys are in itself amazing.

I can't wait till I buy the 4GB of RAM and just make this thing fly!

I am going to search the forums for tips, ideas and suggestions on what a first time macbook user can do. If anyone wants to suggest anything as well, please do! :D

SnowLeopard2008
Aug 22, 2008, 07:19 PM
Watch the "Get a Mac" campaigns, they say you can start a video chat, edit a home movie, and even make a iWeb site! Congratulations on your purchase, speaking form experience, the 4GB ram will make it lightspeed, it simply just leaves 2GB in dust. The "chiclet keys" feel great to me however, despite people saying it feels cheap or plasticly. Good luck!

sn00pie
Aug 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
I just got mine, and I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. How much was your total? (in dollars) :p

Chozo
Aug 22, 2008, 07:34 PM
I just got mine, and I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. How much was your total? (in dollars) :p

I paid roughly $2000 CAD for everything BEFORE the rebates, I have to send those in. Afterwards, it'll be about $1700 when all is said and done (I got iWork and Applecare)

alphaod
Aug 22, 2008, 08:18 PM
Congrats on the computer and the 4GB won't make your computer faster.

macindork
Aug 22, 2008, 08:43 PM
I bought the exact same machine you did and even opted for the 4gb of RAM after the fact (bought 4gb of GSkill CS4 667 RAM off of Newegg). It really won't make the machine faster until you start taxing it more. If you really want to improve the performance of this machine I would suggest a 7200RPM hard drive with a larger than 8mb buffer.

Chozo
Aug 23, 2008, 01:26 PM
Congrats on the computer and the 4GB won't make your computer faster.

It won't make it faster, but it will make it lag less when I have to run multiple instances of VMWare.

I bought the exact same machine you did and even opted for the 4gb of RAM after the fact (bought 4gb of GSkill CS4 667 RAM off of Newegg). It really won't make the machine faster until you start taxing it more. If you really want to improve the performance of this machine I would suggest a 7200RPM hard drive with a larger than 8mb buffer.

Thanks, I'll look into it. :)

ttech10
Aug 23, 2008, 08:35 PM
I also just got back from getting my first MacBook. I got the high end black one and I'm enjoying it a lot. My only problem is getting used to the trackpad (since it's less sensitive than my last laptop), different shortcut buttons (I know 'command'+click opens my links in a new tab and 'control'+click ='s right click) and then a few other things.

Overall though I'm enjoying it, currently I'm in the process of moving everything from my old laptop to my Apple before I get rid of the Windows one.