Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Anyone else excited about this game?

Like I mentioned in another thread, it's not really like I need ANOTHER first person shooter...but watching the level editing video got me pretty excited. I think this could make for a new kind of death match dynamic. Having this huge open jungle area with mountains and rivers, exploring, flying with paragliders, knowing the other guy(s) is somewhere in there, setting the woods on fire.....kind of a very relaxed pace death match, you know? For some reason this idea really appeals to me, and the ability to make your own maps makes it really awesome.

I hope they don't botch this one, cause it looks great from the promo material.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nah, I don't want another FPS. I know they're trying to branch out and be different but it's still the same formula that I've seen done a million times over.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The original far cry was exceptional, that is all except the latter part in the volcano which was akin to the horrid last part of Half Life... (Flawed)

Hopefully FarCry 2 will be akin to Half Life 2, however judging from what I've seen so far I fear it wont be, but I'm hopeful anyway.

Probably get on the 360 rather than PC though.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
After watching the video about the level editor, it's on my radar. Looking forward to playing around with it.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
This game is on my Skip list. Along with COD5 and other FPS games. FPS as a genre seems to be the "next gen" which is slightly disturbing to me considering the ***** that has been put out.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I'm not buying Farcry 2, I didn't like the first one.

If the main game is great, then cool, but like all FPS games, multi-play is the most important part. The problem with huge open maps, is that they get boring when playing with friends, especially if we can't find each other. 50 kilometers would make a game with even a dozen friends boring.

I personally like the more recent cartoon look that TeamFortress 2 is using and now Battlefield Heroes.

I'm looking forward to COD5 on the Wii, because its controls "can" be fun, but I'm also going to try it on my PC.

Nex gen and FPS. Baaah. As a PC gamer, I find that ridiculous. :)

<]=)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I like the cartoony style too. But for some reason, I have not been able to get into TF2 at all. Not sure why. Maybe I need to give it another shot sometime.

Obviously the whole 50 square km map would be way to big for a deathmatch, but a somewhat big map where you need to go searching and hunting in the jungle sounds great to me. I can see how this slower pace would not be for everyone though. I can appreciate a faster pace too, but I play UT3 for that. (I wish more people did, as the online is pretty dead most of the time...)

Standard

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Canada
All I can say is I will be purchasing this along with Crysis Warhead, Gears of War 2 and Wrath of the Lich King until Diablo 3 and Starcraft II!

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I like the cartoony style too. But for some reason, I have not been able to get into TF2 at all. Not sure why. Maybe I need to give it another shot sometime.

Obviously the whole 50 square km map would be way to big for a deathmatch, but a somewhat big map where you need to go searching and hunting in the jungle sounds great to me. I can see how this slower pace would not be for everyone though. I can appreciate a faster pace too, but I play UT3 for that. (I wish more people did, as the online is pretty dead most of the time...)

TF2 is just a way to kill time with friends, but it's definitely not the best we've played. Look at me, I'm a medic. :)

I was turned off to UT3, because of the huge map thing again. :) The shift towards vehicles was a bit of a bummer for me. We never had enough guys at are LAN parties to make the game fun, it was just running/driving from one checkpoint to another.

I'll try the Farcry 2 demo when it's released, but the only way I'll buy this game, is if all of my friends pick it up.

<]=)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Just read the first few reviews, and it seems like it turned out very well.

Probably gonna pick it up this afternoon.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can't decide what platform to buy it for... ps3 or 360 ?

I'm veering more towards the 360 for 1080p support and the 360 controller though.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I read IGN's review and watched some videos, and Far Cry 2 looks okay, but not enough to make me want to play it. The only FPS games on my radar right now are Resistance 2 and Call of Duty: World at War, which both hit consoles in the first half of November.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I'm picking this up today! But I won't be able to play it will 7ish.... I'll tell you how I like my first hour or so later tonight.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Okay, I'm a good hour into it, and it's pretty damn awesome so far. The world looks amazing, and the engine is running smooth so far. (Then again, I've never been a framerate junky like some other people, and I may not notice small dips...so take it for what it's worth ;) ) The environment is fun to explore (and to look at!), and the shooting mechanics work very well. It controls as well as an FPS can with a controller. (UT3 really spoiled me with its mouse&keyboard support!) My only complaint so far: There is no direct command to use the monocular...you have to first pull out the map, and then press a button to use it. That's dumb. Other than, great game so far! :D

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Okay, I'm a good hour into it, and it's pretty damn awesome so far. The world looks amazing, and the engine is running smooth so far. (Then again, I've never been a framerate junky like some other people, and I may not notice small dips...so take it for what it's worth ;) ) The environment is fun to explore (and to look at!), and the shooting mechanics work very well. It controls as well as an FPS can with a controller. (UT3 really spoiled me with its mouse&keyboard support!) My only complaint so far: There is no direct command to use the monocular...you have to first pull out the map, and then press a button to use it. That's dumb. Other than, great game so far! :D

I'm pretty much agreeing with you.

The map editor is great, sure it's like the other console ones just much more improved. I love the fire propagation, I want to make a multiplayer level all about fire!!!

I like all the animations, very smooth. Healing, repairing, ripping bullets out, entering a vehicle, opening a door, setting your alarm, picking up weapons, getting out the map, running, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. It all looks great. I do wish I could get some places a bit faster (haven't tried the bus yet) but it still is fun to explore and find diamonds.

The malaria thing is interesting, but I've only had to use a pill once (when I acquired the pills, but this is probably a good thing). Every now and then I do notice a slight blur from the disease, coolio.

Uhh what else. The game feels very adventury. And the shooting is fun. I love scouting out places, but right now I only have a shotgun, pistol and flamethrower (NOT good for stealth).

Vehicles are nice, just easy to hit rocks. Missions are fun, and (for now) pretty varied. Buddies are cool. Online is decent. Ok, did I forget anything? :p

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Haven't tried online or the editor yet, but I can't wait to make some cool DM maps for some relaxed slow-paced "hunting in the jungle" matches. :)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm guessing both version play the same so its down to which controller you feel comfortable with and where your friends are(if you play with them) on the server side they will run the same in multiplayer.

I'm still a little iffy about this title.....I don't want to explore too much in first person and the maps seem huge.

How big is the install(PS3)

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.