PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini compared to iMac G4

asphalt-proof
Aug 23, 2008, 06:07 PM
I have a g4 iMac that is about 5 years old. I am looking at getting a mac mini as a replacement. My question is: how much performance boost will I see. I do like to occasionally play games but it is really secondary to Internet, email and music. It would be nice to play star craft 2 I guess but again, not necessary. Thanks for your opinions.

iToaster
Aug 23, 2008, 06:28 PM
Just a quickie with benchmarks, but Mac Mini: ~2500; iMac G4 (fastest): 667, ones from 5 years ago run about 500. You probably won't notice a lot of improvement in web browsing (although flash saturated sites won't be so slow anymore with the added grunt of an Intel processor). For gaming the benefits should be evident as the machine is overall about 5 times faster than your current machine.

aross99
Aug 23, 2008, 06:31 PM
Assuming your are talking about a Core 2 Duo Intel Mac Mini, I think you will see a pretty significant performance increase. I notice this over an iMac G5, let alone, an iMac G4...

opeter
Aug 24, 2008, 02:19 AM
I have a g4 iMac that is about 5 years old. I am looking at getting a mac mini as a replacement. My question is: how much performance boost will I see. I do like to occasionally play games but it is really secondary to Internet, email and music. It would be nice to play star craft 2 I guess but again, not necessary. Thanks for your opinions.

If i were you, i would wait till september/october to see, if the Mini gets a silent upgrate like GMA X3100, or even GMA X4500 HD.

The second one would be even nicer, since i don't think Apple with put in any dedicated graphic card in it (but a Radeon of the comming series of 43xx, 44xx or any of 46xx would be nice). :o

asphalt-proof
Aug 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks that is good advice on the waiting. Currently, I am looking at a Hann monitor that is 28" but resolution is 1920x1200. I know that the mini supports that resolution but will it look crappy on a monitor greater than 24" but with the same resolution?

Chefboiali
Aug 25, 2008, 02:00 AM
If i were you, i would wait till september/october to see, if the Mini gets a silent upgrate like GMA X3100, or even GMA X4500 HD.

The second one would be even nicer, since i don't think Apple with put in any dedicated graphic card in it (but a Radeon of the comming series of 43xx, 44xx or any of 46xx would be nice). :o

Came here to post this. o:

I'm going to give my gf my Core 2 Duo 2ghz machine when this one comes out. It'll be her first mac. Not too shabby w/ 3gigs of ram. I have a 22" Dell Ultra Sharp, but will be going to a 24" with the newer machine. This thing blows away my dual 867 with 1.5 gigs of ram

max••
Aug 25, 2008, 01:27 PM

I noticed a significant speed increase between my dads heavily upgraded powermac g4 and my bottom line mac mini 1.25ghz my mini was so much faster:)