PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable Amount of Time to Wait for eBay Payment?

hexonxonx
Aug 23, 2008, 09:33 PM
I sold my black MacBook several hours ago on eBay and the buyer hasn't paid yet.

What is the acceptable amount of time to wait for this to happen?

All other items I've sold were always paid for within an hour or so.

Dagless
Aug 23, 2008, 09:40 PM
Depends on how often the buyer is on. I've gone up to 24 hours before getting and sending payments in the past.
At least give it a day. A few hours? Jeez!

hexonxonx
Aug 23, 2008, 09:41 PM
Depends on how often the buyer is on. I've gone up to 24 hours before getting and sending payments in the past.
At least give it a day. A few hours? Jeez!

LOL Yes, I'm going to give the person time to pay. I was planning on waiting till Monday morning. That's when it would be shipping out anyways.

idyll
Aug 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
According to eBay rules the buyer has 7 days

In my experience if I don't get paid within the first hour the buyer never pays.. I tend to contact them on eBay just to touch base and inquire when and how they will be sending the payment. You can also find their telephone number by clicking on "Advanced Search" next to the search field and on the left you will see something like "Find Member Info" or something.. If it's a big purchase (ie a computer) I don't think it's nosy to call

hexonxonx
Aug 23, 2008, 10:05 PM
According to eBay rules the buyer has 7 days

In my experience if I don't get paid within the first hour the buyer never pays.. I tend to contact them on eBay just to touch base and inquire when and how they will be sending the payment. You can also find their telephone number by clicking on "Advanced Search" next to the search field and on the left you will see something like "Find Member Info" or something.. If it's a big purchase (ie a computer) I don't think it's nosy to call
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll wait till I get home from working early in the morning and then check if the buyer has paid yet. It is Saturday and all. If no payment yet, I'll email then call.

idyll
Aug 23, 2008, 10:09 PM
Good luck!

Yeah, this one guy who just won an auction of mine yesterday still has not paid nor responded to my messages on eBay or emails. I found his phone number and called, and it was his fathers who does not and has not spoken to his son (who owns the eBay account) in years. He said if anyone it would be his wife that speaks to him, and she will let him know I called about eBay.

awwwkward

Shannighan
Aug 23, 2008, 10:11 PM
lol ^^^

anyway, i wouldn't wait more then 24 hours if there was no communication. i would send an email asking if he needed more time.

I pay within minutes.

Abstract
Aug 24, 2008, 01:25 AM
I'd give them 3-4 days to email me about it, but I wouldn't "expect" payment within a few hours, 1 day, or even 2 days. After 2 days, I start to worry slightly. After 3-4 days, I'm really hoping that he'll email me about it. After that, I'll wait impatiently, waiting for day 7.

Personally, I pay within 1 minute to 2 days. There have been days when I forgot that I had bid on an auction on eBay, or I didn't realize that my money wasn't in my bank account. If it's in my high-interest bank account (I get around 6.5% interest), I move it over to my "regular" bank account, which takes around 24 hours. Then I pay. I usually email the seller to tell him this, but some people don't do this.

hexonxonx
Aug 24, 2008, 03:43 PM
I received payment for all three of the items that I was selling. Thanks for all the replies everyone. Have a great Sunday! I now get a nice vacation in a few weeks and I can pay off a credit card. I'm happy.

northy124
Aug 24, 2008, 03:48 PM
24 hours if longer I email and ask if a problem then if no reply I relist and report the buyer to eBay.

mkrishnan
Aug 24, 2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah, this one guy who just won an auction of mine yesterday... [story snip]

Wouldn't one just be inclined to cancel the sale for falsified user information at this point? I'm an infrequent eBay seller, but that makes me very uncomfortable about possibly being shilled or otherwise taken advantage of, particularly if the transaction was worth anything significant.

To the OP's point, I think you probably have to abide by eBay's rules (i.e. 7 days) if you have not specifically posted a faster payment requirement in your sale. But then I guess I don't know what recourse anyone would have against you if you canceled the sale for non-payment and re-listed....

The other valid concern is probably whether the sale was made as the result of BIN or as the result of the normal end of an auction. I mostly BIN, to be honest, and invariably pay immediately. But if I sign up for an auction, when I rarely do, it may not at all be likely that I'll be home when the auction ends, meaning it's quite likely my payment might come the next business day.

Sideonecincy
Aug 24, 2008, 04:02 PM
I always give the buyer 1 full week to pay. If they don't pay by then, I will send a unpaid item form to either try to get them to pay or aat least get my money back from fees. The worst part of it all is now you can't even leave them negative feedback if they don't pay. All the burden falls on the seller.

Rodimus Prime
Aug 24, 2008, 04:27 PM
I saw give them at least 48 hours before contacting them. I know myself personally I will bid on something and then it will be an email that tells me I won. That email can take me up to 24 hours says I need to pay for it. Then up to another day before I take care of it. Depends but I would check with them after 48. Something that more along the lines of thank you for bidding on X product. I will ship it was soon as I receive payment.

redwarrior
Aug 24, 2008, 04:32 PM
It is common courtesy to give them at least a "business" day. You can't possibly expect people to always be "on" the way some of us are. And some are never on on the weekend. I wouldn't worry at all until at least Tuesday morning.