Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Like the title suggest, I'm in need of an iPhone 3G speaker/dock and I see that the Apple store only lists three. Certainly this can't be the case, I hope? Can you guys please give me some recommendations or point me to some reviews of potential speaker/docks.

Thank you.

kes601

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
Like the title suggest, I'm in need of an iPhone 3G speaker/dock and I see that the Apple store only lists three. Certainly this can't be the case, I hope? Can you guys please give me some recommendations or point me to some reviews of potential speaker/docks.

Thank you.

There are not very many available that are certified compatible with the iPhone 3G. Most have interference issues -- they will work, but if you get a phone call while it is on the dock you are in for some awful screeching noises.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
And also most of the ones that were not yet updated since the 3G came out will not work, possibly because they provide power on the 12V / FW pin of the dock connector, and the 3G doesn't accept that.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I think I answered my own question by browsing the internet. I went over to BestBuy and picked up a Sony ICF-C1iPMK2BLK and it functions quite nicely. It was $106 with local tax and not only charges the iPhone 3G properly, but handles phone calls coming in just fine. If you get a call while listening to music it simply fades the music out and the phone rings then if you don't answer it fades the music back in, works great. The only con I noticed is the Alarm BUZZER is pretty quiet and also doesn't last long enough (3mins). Aside from that for the price, seems damn solid. :)

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Also, one other con is that you need to MANUALLY unlock your iPhone in order to get to the iPod menu via the remote control included with the unit. The lock screen totally defeats the ability to scroll through playlists and that sort of thing without MANUALLY unlocking the phone. I'm not sure if this is common amongst these sort of speaker/docks, but its kind of annoying. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Anyone know?:confused:

kes601

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
I think I answered my own question by browsing the internet. I went over to BestBuy and picked up a Sony ICF-C1iPMK2BLK and it functions quite nicely. It was $106 with local tax and not only charges the iPhone 3G properly, but handles phone calls coming in just fine. If you get a call while listening to music it simply fades the music out and the phone rings then if you don't answer it fades the music back in, works great. The only con I noticed is the Alarm BUZZER is pretty quiet and also doesn't last long enough (3mins). Aside from that for the price, seems damn solid. :)

This is the same one that I have. In reference to your remote and menu locking post, if I am playing music and have it in iPod mode (see the album / song that is playing), mine does not lock and the remote works fine. If I am on the home screen then it does lock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.