Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nckcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I really enjoy making halo 3 montages, and i have a nice capture card and everything, but imovieHD or imovie08 are not very good editing programs for this kind of thing. They only have so many effects, most of which either are not good are are too complicated to place in the right spot, etc.

Also, to my knowledge, you can't 'fade into' fast forwarding, or anything like that. I'd also really like to be able to crop an object (moving or still, like for example maybe a player running) from one clip, and put it ontop of another.

This may all be very confusing, sorry about that. But does anyone have an idea of a video editor i could use for these things?:confused:

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I really enjoy making halo 3 montages, and i have a nice capture card and everything, but imovieHD or imovie08 are not very good editing programs for this kind of thing. They only have so many effects, most of which either are not good are are too complicated to place in the right spot, etc.

Also, to my knowledge, you can't 'fade into' fast forwarding, or anything like that. I'd also really like to be able to crop an object (moving or still, like for example maybe a player running) from one clip, and put it ontop of another.

This may all be very confusing, sorry about that. But does anyone have an idea of a video editor i could use for these things?:confused:

There are a few open source powerful video editors available for linux ...with a little bit of terminal experience you could probably compile such a program to run in OS X -- otherwise ... your next step after iMovie is FCE -- at least in my experience. BUT that costs money

Nckcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
There are a few open source powerful video editors available for linux ...with a little bit of terminal experience you could probably compile such a program to run in OS X -- otherwise ... your next step after iMovie is FCE -- at least in my experience. BUT that costs money

Oh, ok. Well im just looking for something to download, not create =p I wouldn't know where to start with that. Adobe after effects is supposed to be pretty good for these kind of things, does anyone know anything about that? (i know it costs but still)

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Oh, ok. Well im just looking for something to download, not create =p I wouldn't know where to start with that. Adobe after effects is supposed to be pretty good for these kind of things, does anyone know anything about that? (i know it costs but still)

You are not really being clear on what you want.

Adobe after effects is a post production environment... used for animation, composting, ect -- and it's $999 -- you might be able to get a student discount if you are studying

maybe show me a sample of what you are talking about doing ...

We can then maybe go from there.

Nckcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
You are not really being clear on what you want.

Adobe after effects is a post production environment... used for animation, composting, ect -- and it's $999 -- you might be able to get a student discount if you are studying

maybe show me a sample of what you are talking about doing ...

We can then maybe go from there.

Sorry, i'm trying lol. An example would be something like this: http://halo3montage.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=81&video_id=166

Even if you don't like the video, just the editing is what im concentrating on. A program thats capable of if not all, then SOME of those things.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Sorry, i'm trying lol. An example would be something like this: http://halo3montage.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=81&video_id=166

Even if you don't like the video, just the editing is what im concentrating on. A program thats capable of if not all, then SOME of those things.

Ya, i'm unaware of anything free that could handle that kinda work -- unless you go the linux option I suggested.

Final Cut Pro with a little bit of work, and After Effects certainly ... but you'll be shelling out A LOT of cash.

Final Cut Express ... MIGHT be able to handle it ... but it's touchy with the file format it uses for editing, input, ect.

Like I said the Linux route maybe your best bet for this if you are on a budget

http://lives.sourceforge.net/index.php?do=downloads&PHPSESSID=2078cb5cf575423d6883bf1153b44b00

it's pretty cool ... I haven't compiled it on OS X -- so I can't really guide you ... you might be able to find some people online that have that will have a tutorial -- it'll take a little time with google

another option is getting a copy of VMware or Parallels, installing Linux on a virtual machine and running the video editor through there

edit - i just found this http://dynebolic.dyne.org/index.php?show=available -- try it -- seems promising -- it's that Linux program already combiled

Nckcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks, that helped. But honestly, im not on that much of a budget, its just that id rather spend less vs more (obviously). And linux is not an option for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.