Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcbkk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Hello All - My friend has a PowerBook G4 and he wants to connect it with an external 20" Apple Cinema display. His friend told him it was not possible to connect it, but I am not certain if this information is correct. He asked me to help advise him on this, but unfortunately I don't know enough about Apple hardware to give him the information he is looking for. I am wondering if anyone happens to know the answer on this. Many thanks... Marc...

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
What is the model of the Cinema Display? What is the model of Powerbook G4?

I have a late Powerbook G4 which has a DVI video output so it will work with nearly every recent monitor out there.

marcbkk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Thank you both for your quick replies. Following are the specs he sent me:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
Machine Model: PowerBook6,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.3f1
Serial Number: UV423056PLX

I think he said the machine is abotu 3 years old.

The monitor is a standard 20" cinema display with a DVI connection, purchased about 3 years ago as well.

I belive though the monitor can also be run via a VGA port using the DVI to VGA adapter plug which comes with the monitor.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thank you both for your quick replies. Following are the specs he sent me:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
Machine Model: PowerBook6,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.3f1
Serial Number: UV423056PLX

I think he said the machine is abotu 3 years old.

The monitor is a standard 20" cinema display with a DVI connection, purchased about 3 years ago as well.

I belive though the monitor can also be run via a VGA port using the DVI to VGA adapter plug which comes with the monitor.

Pretty sure it would.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Wait, this is a G4 12". I may be wrong, but I believe they require a mini DVI-->DVI adaptor. One should have been in the Powerbook's box when he got the machine. If you don't have one you can get one from Apple.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yup, I used to have a 12" and used it on a Dell 20" LCD all the time. You do need to have an adaptor dongle to convert from the mini-DVI to DVI (or VGA, or s-video... there's an adaptor for each).

The very first revision 12" used a mini-VGA and not DVI, but the concept is the same.

Mini-DVI adaptors can be bought at the Apple stores or Best Buy, etc.

lastshadow

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
Powerbook G4 and external monitor issue

I have a 27" Samsung monitor that I use with my PC. I use the HDMI cable for that, and there is a VGA port. So I got a male-male vga cable and plugged that into the Powerbook G4, using the dvi-vga dongle that came with the unit. Nothing comes up on the screen. The mnitor's remote control allows you to switch between TV, hdmi (other PC) and PC (vga). I tested the cable with a UMPC and another laptop I have and it works fine. Since that is the only external monitor port on the mac, I'm not sure if it is the dongle or the powerbook. Also, I can't get the F7 key with the multiple monitor icon on it to do anything, nor does detecting displays show the external monitor.

Added: I tried the dvi-hdmi adapter, and that works fine, so it isn't the powerbook - the detect displays shows up, with all the resolutions, etc. I am assuming it is the div-vga dongle. let me know if this sounds right.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.