Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Im getting ready to open my own web design shop, and have been looking at alternatives to Photoshop.
Photoshop is great, but at close to $600
it is quite the investment. Ive looked into getting an older full version from ebay and then upgrading, but there is the whole license transfer issue.

My alternatives are to either use Gimp until I have saved enough to buy Photoshop, or to buy Coreldraw (which I have used in the past).

It seems that the general concensus is that the mac version of coreldraw is nowhere near as fast and stable as its windows counterpart. I was hoping that this would be remedied in version 12 coming out next month, but the press release on there page mentions windows only. Anyone else heard if Corel is dropping Coreldraw mac support?

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
My girlfriend was at the corel 12 launch party today! It sounds pretty darn cool

Bad news: at present there's no corel 12 for mac, they didn't mention it either.

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
Check out RetouchPro.com join the forum there. You will find a community of graphic folks who use a variety of software.

I have the full version of Photoshop 6 but since it isn't OSX, I decided to get Photoshop Elements 2 and there is very little that I have not been able to do with it.

There is a very good book - Hidden Secrets of Photoshop Elements that has a group of tools that extend the functionality.

PSE is under $100.

HTH

m

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Did anyone buy version 11 for Mac? I didn't. After being underwhelmed by version 10, I decided to put my money somewhere else, at least for a while.

If it weren't for multiple page documents (from Ventura Publisher) in Corel Draw itself, I wouldn't have bought the graphics suite at all.

Photoshop Elements has a lot going for it. Corel Painter can do wonders and it's an inexpensive upgrade (side-grade?) from other products.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i'm also a big elements fan, very capable software at a very nice price

anneleonard

macrumors regular
I went to the CorelDraw 12 Graphics Suite launch do in London a couple of days ago, as MrJamin points out. I thought it looked very interesting even though they are not bringing out a mac version. You can see why, most mac users are design buffs that can probably afford the higher-end products like adobe and macromedia stuff. they do have a nice "smart" tool where you can draw anything with your mouse and the program will vectorise it.

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
i'm not sure why this would be an issue for most designers/signmakers/graphic artists. corel is a great entry level package for home use, but really the professional market tends to gravitate towards illustrator/freehand and yes, photoshop. there really is no substitute for photoshop or it's functionality.

to do professional work, and be guaranteed to be able to exchange files with other professionals the macromedia/adobe products are the way to go.

plus if it's a business it's a cost of business, and a healthy write off for next year's tax season - a real bonus for a small businesss.

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
what is missing from CS that is in Elements?

Anything that would be vital to web graphics?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i think you've got those mixed up

whats in CS thats not in elements would be a better question.

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
i think you've got those mixed up

whats in CS thats not in elements would be a better question.

Yeah, thats what I was meaning.
Damn dyslexia... ;)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
who need coreldraw anyway?

though it's really easy to draw beziers in it, it's of no use because THE OUTPUT SUCKS big time. have you ever compared corel's gradient print to photoshop's gradient print, i mean on paper? photoshop's is nice and smooth, but corel's is really ugly.

it also takes ages to tweak to get a decent output file that print shop accepts and manages to print correctly. they just are not there yet, quality-wise. to compare, i have never had a single issue with photoshop output files... wonder why ;)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I assume that you will be wanting to take classes to keep your skills sharp. If you do it at a Community College you could then take and get the Academic version.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by MacRumorSkeptic
Yeah, I remeber reading somewhere that CorelDraw would no longer receive updates for the Mac.

Then again, they skipped from version 6 to version 8 to version 10.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I have Corelgraphics Suite 11 for Mac and PC. They sell it very cheap for students. Only $25. I had no problems on the Mac so far. Only with the Windows version. And I read in the news that they official discontinue the Mac versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.