Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I recently burned a project to DVD using iDVD, and I would like to make 50+ copies to distribute. The project is only a single 26 minute video. iDVD (burning at supposedly 2x) took almost an hour to crank out my project. I have a new high-end iMac. iDVD does some processing of the video files before burning. If I want to make more copies, I can't spend 1 hour on each copy. Can I save the processed files or in some other way cut down time needed for each copy??

Also, are there any other DVD burning software packages out except DVD Studio Pro?? I'm willing to spend some money, but $1000 is waaay to much. I could justify 100-200 dollars perhaps.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: iDVD slow for 2x!!

Originally posted by stoid
I recently burned a project to DVD using iDVD, and I would like to make 50+ copies to distribute. The project is only a single 26 minute video. iDVD (burning at supposedly 2x) took almost an hour to crank out my project. I have a new high-end iMac. iDVD does some processing of the video files before burning. If I want to make more copies, I can't spend 1 hour on each copy. Can I save the processed files or in some other way cut down time needed for each copy??

Also, are there any other DVD burning software packages out except DVD Studio Pro?? I'm willing to spend some money, but $1000 is waaay to much. I could justify 100-200 dollars perhaps.

Did the proccess from start to finish take 1 hr, or did just the burning take 1 hour? If the proccess took 1 hr from start to finish then I'd say that's 'bout right (it takes a a nice bit of time to encode it to MPEG2).

BTW, have you gone to Apple's website to check there for help w/iDVD and iMovie? I know they have help forums for a lot of proggies as well as a knowledge base over there.

Lethal

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
Whole process

It was the whole deal that took 1 hour, so I guess that includes encoding as well, I guess what I want to know is if I can save that encoded media file. If I could, I could skip the encoding process and cut quite a lot off the burning time. Is that possible, or does iDVD cache the encoded file in the project somewhere??

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
yeah, the key is encoding....

check out some info on apple's page to see about how it encodes, as in, does it save the mpeg files... if it does, gotta make sure you utilize that

sorry i can't help specifically, as i haven't used idvd much.

another option might be to encode the mpeg with other software... including qt (maybe? I forget...) and cleaner?

can someone confirm or deny my claims about those apps creating mpeg files?

if you do that, then you SHOULD be able to juice the dvds more quickly...

sorry if i'm totally wrong.... :rolleyes:

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
Checked apple.com said take the first copy of the DVD, and make a Disc Image, burn the image. Very simple and straight forward really. Consider that question answer, but as for the software...

Is there any OS X middle ground between iDVD and DVD Studio Pro??

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Is there any OS X middle ground between iDVD and DVD Studio Pro??

hmm... not that i know of. try a search of macmall or something online...

if nothing comes up, there probably isn't.

hmmmm i just can't think of anything... let us know if you find something

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: iDVD slow for 2x!!

You can copy DVD's with Toast.

I think you just need to copy over the Video TS folder over... and Toast will make copies. (this is for non-encrypted DVD's, of course)

arn

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Re: Re: iDVD slow for 2x!!

Originally posted by arn

You can copy DVD's with Toast.

I think you just need to copy over the Video TS folder over... and Toast will make copies. (this is for non-encrypted DVD's, of course)

arn

damn. you said just what I was going to say. :p :p

But I don't usually save the Video_TS folder... I make my first copy with iDVD, then with Toast, I make a Disc Image. After that its real simple, and much faster than doing another copy with iDVD.

irmongoose

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
iDVD stores the whole project. When you have burned your first disc, you can make another copy straight away, and it will burn significally faster.
To use Toast is stupid. Why go through the disk image prosess and then use Toast. Before you guys are done with that, I will already have made 2-3 copies. Have you ever used iDVD????????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.