PDA

View Full Version : G5 DC 2.0Ghz and ATA133 PCI cards ?

MuggeGHQ
Aug 25, 2008, 06:43 PM
Any of you guys know if any PCI ATA133 card will work in a G5 with PCI ? i have a old G5 Dual Core 2.0Ghz im trying to build op for a friend. But he also have 2 old ATA drives with lots of stuff he needs and therefor we will have to install a ATA133 PCI card. I have 2 different PC ATA133 cards i need to know if they will work just like that ??? Does the OS X system have the drivers for ATA133 build in ? thx :)

Its a Powermac G5 with PCI slots. Running OS X 10.4.11 PPC :)

djbahdow01
Aug 25, 2008, 07:22 PM
Any of you guys know if any PCI ATA133 card will work in a G5 with PCI ? i have a old G5 Dual Core 2.0Ghz im trying to build op for a friend. But he also have 2 old ATA drives with lots of stuff he needs and therefor we will have to install a ATA133 PCI card. I have 2 different PC ATA133 cards i need to know if they will work just like that ??? Does the OS X system have the drivers for ATA133 build in ? thx :)

Its a Powermac G5 with PCI slots. Running OS X 10.4.11 PPC :)

First off where do you plan on putting the ATA HDs? Also you don't necessarily need an ATA133 card, you can get these (http://www.startech.com/item/SATA2ATA133.aspx) and then put the HDs in the HD slots in the PM, therefore not needing the ATA Card.

Anyways its another option since the PM is already SATA ready. Also probably cheaper than the ATA card.

disconap
Aug 27, 2008, 11:37 PM
Yes, but he said he already has 2 PCI IDE cards...

You WILL need a power splitter (the optical drive uses an IDE-style power connector, you can split power off from there). Also, not sure about the dual-core, but the dual-processor models had no room for extra drives, so you'll either need to use the main drive spaces (which is sort of a waste since SATA is so much faster) or you'll need a harness/bracket kit to store the drives in the open space to the left of the processor (or you can stack them next to the PCI slots if there's room/the machine will NOT be moved while on).

My advice is to try each card separately and see if either work. You won't hurt anything by just installing it, if it doesn't work it won't work, if it does it will. You probably won't need any drivers, but if you do I suggest checking sourceforge.net. Good luck!