Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/downey-talks-dark-knight.html

Robert Downey Jr. excerpt:

"My whole thing is that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so [expletive] smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? [Expletive] DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
He is riding the high wave of fame from Iron Man.
Probably.

I was blown away with Iron Man. Awesome movie and will be purchasing it on DVD.

As for The Dark Knight, I have not seen it yet but will do so and am looking forward to it. At the same time, I wonder how many times they are going to remake with the Joker?

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I love Robert Downy Jr. as an actor but I think he should be a little more humble. With his previous drug busts he's overdue for a long sentence if he should screw up again, it's not often actors get 2nd and 3rd chances. Iron Man and The Dark Knight were both fine movies. He and Christian Bale should both be congratulating each other.

CryWolfAndBleed

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Yes
Huh?

Now, look. I really like Robert Downey Jr, but I think he needs to do one of two things.

1) Stop selling himself for publicity

2) Re-iterate his statement.

The fact that he cannot understand what Dark Knight was about (Simple Summary: Batman) blows my mind, but the fact that he went on record spewing gibberish about not understanding makes me a very, very sad man.

I loved Dark Knight, and I loved Iron Man. But what I don't like are statements that still don't make sense upon the third time reading them.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
(Simple Summary: Batman)

And all this time, I thought it was about this guy. :eek:
black+knight.jpg

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'd like to think he was just being a bastard and joking around, but with him you never know I guess.

For the record I thoroughly enjoyed both movies, for different reasons mind you. Looking forward to Ironman 2 and the eventual Avengers movie which they've been building up to... As for Batman, it will probabaly be a few years before we see another one... :cool:

realhunter36

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Iron man was greater than what i expected but i havent seen Dark night yet.
i have a question.... Iron man vs Bat man who's gonna win?? :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I would admire him for speaking his mind about something that's so popular. So he doesn't get Batman? I don't either. Then again, I never liked Batman anyway.. or Spiderman... or Superman... They should just combine Batman with Dracula and be done with it (Vampire Bat Man. Get it? :D)

Ironman rocks. Ironman is cool. Ironman... oh, wait, I'm ranting...

@Counterfit: Good one!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Why so serious?

He is just being in character as Tony Stark. Or it might be one of those Marvel vs DC Comic fanboy comments. Or it is out of jealousy of the numbers that the Dark Knight put on the board.

The Iron Man movie was good but perhaps the next one will approach the same kind of success similar to the 2nd real Batman movie.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I half agree with him.

I enjoyed the Dark Knight and thought it was one of hollywoods best, but it lacked so much from the first film. Hand to hand combat seemed overcooked and (IMO) Heath wasn't a super magical Joker as everyone seemed to make him.
As for Ironman? Naw. At least Batman lives up to his name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.